Sep 08 2009
By: trance12 Lombax Warrior 236 posts

Space invites and GO TO can get you banned?

86 replies 12 views Edited Sep 8, 2009

So get this... you receive an invite from a friend, so you accept it not knowing where it leads and end up in a merged server.  Then a couple of mods show up, freeze everybody and start making threats.  Then they (two mods) follow you to a private space and inform you that being in merged servers could cause you to get banned.

So, it would probably be a good idea not to ever accept invitations from friends.  On the same note, you may never want to use the GOTO function either, since you can inadvertantly end up on a merged server.  And since I once ended up in a merged server (I believe) by accessing the world map, you probably shouldn't do that either.  In fact, just don't go anywhere on home so you can't be threatened with the ban hammer!

Users have NO foreknowledge or control over where they will end up when they accept an invitation or use the GO TO function!

REALLY!  This scare tactic is below the belt!  I am very curious to know exactly where in the TOSUA it states you cannot be on a merged server, regardless of whether or not it was intentional.  In fact, I demand to know the exact paragraph.  I want to see this in writing. 

Rather than making nasty threats and intimidating people, it may be more productive to spend the time and resources on resolving the problem.

Message 1 of 87 (12 Views)
Fender Bender
3089 posts

Re: Space invites and GO TO can get you banned?

Sep 8, 2009

trance12 wrote:

So get this... you receive an invite from a friend, so you accept it not knowing where it leads and end up in a merged server.  Then a couple of mods show up, freeze everybody and start making threats.  Then they (two mods) follow you to a private space and inform you that being in merged servers could cause you to get banned.

So, it would probably be a good idea not to ever accept invitations from friends.  On the same note, you may never want to use the GOTO function either, since you can inadvertantly end up on a merged server.  And since I once ended up in a merged server (I believe) by accessing the world map, you probably shouldn't do that either.  In fact, just don't go anywhere on home so you can't be threatened with the ban hammer!

Users have NO foreknowledge or control over where they will end up when they accept an invitation or use the GO TO function!

REALLY!  This scare tactic is below the belt!  I am very curious to know exactly where in the TOSUA it states you cannot be on a merged server, regardless of whether or not it was intentional.  In fact, I demand to know the exact paragraph.  I want to see this in writing. 

Rather than making nasty threats and intimidating people, it may be more productive to spend the time and resources on resolving the problem.

Then why didn't you ask your "friend" where he's inviting you? If you already know that the space you are in is "merged", then why didn't you leave immediately knowing you're in a merged server

Message Edited by areskins on 09-08-2009 02:20 AM
Photobucket
Message 2 of 87 (12 Views)
Lombax Warrior
236 posts

Sep 8, 2009

Do you do that? How often? Every time? Do you ask people where they are before you use the go to function? Do you talk to your screen asking it questions before you use the world map?

Unfortunately, that's not a realistic solution. Nor is threatening people with bans for simply wandering into these situations.

Message 3 of 87 (12 Views)
Lombax Warrior
236 posts

Sep 8, 2009
The mods froze everybody so they couldn't move or access their PDA's. They would have had to exit home through the XMB.  Still doesn't warrent a ban threat does it?
Message Edited by trance12 on 09-08-2009 05:24 AM
Message 4 of 87 (12 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3089 posts

Sep 8, 2009

trance12 wrote:

Do you do that? How often? Every time? Do you ask people where they are before you use the go to function? Do you talk to your screen asking it questions before you use the world map?

Unfortunately, that's not a realistic solution. Nor is threatening people with bans for simply wandering into these situations.

Who's threatening, the MODS? I think they're just saying what will happen if you continue the things that violate the TOS. I'm not sure if Server Merging can be categorized under hacking

Photobucket
Message 5 of 87 (12 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
236 posts

Sep 8, 2009

areskins wrote:

trance12 wrote:

Who's threatening, the MODS? I think they're just saying what will happen if you continue the things that violate the TOS. I'm not sure if Server Merging can be categorized under hacking

Accepting an invitation to a space is against the TOS?  Again, Iwould like to know where it states that.  I don't know who did the server merge.  I don't know why the mods thought it was acceptable to make threats for simply being in that space.

Message 6 of 87 (12 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1254 posts

Sep 8, 2009
I'm sure not all of your friends go into merged servers :/
Message Edited by PinoyRiot on 09-08-2009 02:30 AM
Message 7 of 87 (12 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
236 posts

Sep 8, 2009
Of course not, but I don't think it is realistic to PM every friend I visit while in home before making the visit.  Even then, I think it's destructive for mods to threaten bans and intimidate bystandards for problems they did not cause.

PinoyRiot wrote:

Message 8 of 87 (12 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1254 posts

Sep 8, 2009

trance12 wrote:
Of course not, but I don't think it is realistic to PM every friend I visit while in home before making the visit.  Even then, I think it's destructive for mods to threaten bans and intimidate bystandards for problems they did not cause.

PinoyRiot wrote:

Just a thought, do you have a usual idea what your friends are up to when they go into Home? Maybe its just me, but to all my PSN friends who are active on Home I have a general idea to what they're up to and I would know if they do something like go into merged server.

Message 9 of 87 (12 Views)
I Only Post Everything
1002 posts

Sep 8, 2009

First of all, I would say that you were all frozen in place so the IP of the person responsible for the merged sever could be tracked down and properly delt with.

Secondly, if any threats were made by a MOD it was most likely simply to let those who were currently on the server know that participating in the act of merging the server or taking part in it knowingly is a violation so people my be aware of the situation and the consequences.

Thirdly, the PSN TOSUA states quite clearly the rules and terms stated within it may be changed at anytime by Sony with out prior notification to the users. This would include the merging servers issue.

Happy Home Days to you always!

Message 10 of 87 (12 Views)