Survivor
2639 posts

Re: Some things to consider if you want to get in Home.

Apr 19, 2007
@ DigitalBackSpin
In the UK you can drink when your 18. I wasn't going to mention it but as Home is in made in London, it does relate.

Message Edited by Eararaldor on 04-19-2007 08:40 AM

Please use plain text.
Message 11 of 25 (0 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1072 posts

Apr 19, 2007
1. I don't think people who sign up 8 hours before someone else will have a better chance of getting in.  It'll probably be a random pick, not a first come first serve.  They'll probably have registrations open for a few days and everyone who registers during that time will have an equal chance of getting in.

2.  I'm sure there's a legal issue with signing NDAs and those who are under 18.

3.  This goes back to #2..  If you break the NDA, you'll get yourself in legal trouble.

4.  They have not had registration yet.

5.  Really a non-issue.  They're trying to protect their assets.

6.  Good luck!

PS3_owns_xbox wrote:
Once I put some thought into it, getting into Home will be harder than I previously thought. Here are a list of things that will stop many people from getting in, unless they are willing to give a lot more effort.
1. "Website © 2007 Sony Computer Entertainment EUROPE." All rights reserved. SCEE is based in London, which has a 7 hour time difference, so there is a good chance that the release will be in the middle of the night or early morning.
2. "You must be over 18 years of age and a PSN Master Account Holder to participate in the Trials." So that eliminates all kids. http://www.homebetatrial.com/eula.html
3. "keep the contents of the Trials confidential as between you and us and not discuss them with anyone beyond your close friends and family and other Trialists. In particular, neither you nor your friends and family shall discuss them with anyone linked to a competing format and/or any news and/or information services or on any chat-line (whether on television or radio, in newspaper or magazines, or via the Internet or any other medium)."
You need to be trustworthy, which is hard for some.
4."If you want to change the details you have registered with us, please contact ." It may have already had regristration.
5."modify or attempt to modify the online client, disc, save file, server, client-server communication, or other parts of any game title or other content; cause disruption to any account, system, hardware, software, or network connected to Home for any reason, including to gain an unfair advantage; bypass or attempt to bypass any user authentication systems or security feature; attempt to hack or reverse engineer any code or equipment in connection with Home (unless permitted by applicable law);" If you like to hack programs, you'll be gone.

So, with all that in mind, people, including myself, are going to need to keep some variables in mind when trying to get in Home Beta.

Sources: www.homebetatrial.com | http://www.homebetatrial.com/eula.html

Message Edited by chawknz on 04-19-2007 10:39 AM

(PSN: CraigHwk)
Please use plain text.
Message 12 of 25 (0 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
384 posts

Apr 19, 2007
One key reason to include all age ranges into a beta, including younger people, is to get feedback on the effect they are having.

How exactly are you going to have something in place to deal with the harassment and annoyance which people claim all the young people bring, when there is no prior experience dealing with them.

A beta test needs to include all demographics, and an online beta test needs this even more so to have knowledge of how the different groups are going to interact and use features online with each other. The only time this is not the case is when the beta tests are being targeted to test very specific features. Focused beta tests such as, "Today we need you to hammer to login servers."  In those cases the different demographics obviously have a much smaller effect.

If they want to be testing features like banning, muting, and so on then they need to create an environment which is as close to a launch environment as possible. Only on a smaller scale.

I see people bringing up the age thing and annoying young people over and over again and saying we need mature people testing. That is completly close minded and not exactly helpful for a beta process.

Now: Regardless of all of that above, the age limit is 18 so it does not really matter what people think about young people joining the beta. If they pick by hand there will be a small number that slip through.

My Age: 26.
First Beta Test I participated in: 14 Years Old - The Realm Online (Alpha Stages)
Current Job: Software Test Specalist 2
"HAHAHAHAHAHahahahaha."
Please use plain text.
Message 13 of 25 (0 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
386 posts

Apr 19, 2007

Eararaldor wrote:
@ DigitalBackSpin
In the UK you can drink when your 18. I wasn't going to mention it but as Home is in made in London, it does relate.

Now if only I had known that 20 years ago when it mattered I'd have taken that year abroad course in college

Please use plain text.
Message 14 of 25 (0 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
129 posts

Apr 19, 2007

Sounds to me like the beta will be random.

"Keep checking back on this site to register an interest in taking part in an exclusive closed Beta Trial of Home™"

The key is "register an interest," so I think that it will be open for a couple days. Actually, it might not even be totally random when you think about it. Why would a company choose random over first come? Really, they wouldn’t but they would choose to do a random selection of certain people. Say, 1000 people between the age of 24-30 that are male and in the US, then 1000 people between the same age in the US that are female ... so on and so forth.

They could actually go more specific and do about 20 people per state. Who knows but at this point I am pretty sure it will be some sort of random drawing.

Kind sucks, with as many people wanting to get into beta they are really dragging its launch date. They could at least be considerate enough to give us an approximate beta date.

Please use plain text.
Message 15 of 25 (0 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
2101 posts

Apr 19, 2007
Please use plain text.
Message 16 of 25 (0 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
144 posts

Apr 19, 2007

DigitalBackSpin wrote:
Not to be down on anyone soley on their age, but I have to admit I've seen more college aged students cause more trouble online in games than I have from the 15-18 group.  Not sure what it is but I'd almost rather play with someone around 17-18 than someone around 21ish.  Maybe it's that whole first time on their own, legally able to drink, I can do what I want, mentality that sets in, but that's just my experience to date.

I can understand what you're saying, but when it comes to a beta I tend to think more about how well a person can give feedback about their playtest. It's a problem I've seen many times in other betas (I've been in quite a few over the years, including the original Xbox Live). Let's face it, many people want to be in a beta just to say they were in it without any intentions of giving feedback other than "it's cool" or "it sucks". How well that feedback is given to devs will eventually lead to that product to being "cool" or "sucky". While I'm sure there are some under 18'ers that can give that kind of feedback, IMO (based on the betas I've done) the kind of feedback the devs would probably look for is usually given from a more "mature" crowd.

The question I'd have for many people interested in the beta is this:
"Do you want to be in it for the bragging rights or do you truly feel you can contribute to the development?"
Think about it. How you answer might (even in a small way) affect the final product. The more people that get in without giving feedback will only hold a spot for someone else that could (give feedback). Based on the betas I've been in, they can be extremely buggy, laggy, or not have the full implementation of the final product. Many people find that betas are not to their liking and hardly ever (or never) bother testing it during the first initial stages when they encounter such issues.

That being said, the success or failure, of the final product will ultimately rest on A) the people who test it, B) the devs that write the code along with the communication they provide, and to a small degree C) how stringent the beta selection process is (which is usually not very). I want to be in beta, but for all the better reasons.
Please use plain text.
Message 17 of 25 (0 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
144 posts

Apr 19, 2007

Pyrophoric wrote:

Sounds to me like the beta will be random.

"Keep checking back on this site to register an interest in taking part in an exclusive closed Beta Trial of Home™"

The key is "register an interest," so I think that it will be open for a couple days. Actually, it might not even be totally random when you think about it. Why would a company choose random over first come? Really, they wouldn’t but they would choose to do a random selection of certain people. Say, 1000 people between the age of 24-30 that are male and in the US, then 1000 people between the same age in the US that are female ... so on and so forth.

They could actually go more specific and do about 20 people per state. Who knows but at this point I am pretty sure it will be some sort of random drawing.

Kind sucks, with as many people wanting to get into beta they are really dragging its launch date. They could at least be considerate enough to give us an approximate beta date.

Almost all betas are random based on the ciriteria the devs are looking for. This usually apllies to PC betas where they might look for different system specs. Since all PS3's are generally the same (20 or 60 gig shouldn't matter) that critieria is basically thrown out. Instead they will probably look for things such as but not limited to.............

...age, they might be looking for a certain demographic among males, females. Radio/TV usually tends to lean towards the 18-35ish male demographic for instance (not sure what they look for with women).
...time of day you tend to play in. Maybe they look for a certain percantage of "peak" players (normally 3-8pm pst give or take), a % of non peak players, Euro players, etc.
...amount of time you  tend to play on a daily/weekly basis. Again they might be looking to fill certain percantages.
...etc, etc

In other words. As random as random could be without resorting to picking names out of a hat based on the criteria they are looking for. Only Sony knows for sure what that is. Anything else is just....well......random.
Please use plain text.
Message 18 of 25 (0 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2933 posts

Apr 20, 2007
I really hope that the odds are better than I am now thinking them to be.
LittleBigPlanet
Please use plain text.
Message 19 of 25 (0 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Apr 20, 2007
First of all, congratulations to all who read this, this is my first playstation post!  You are all priveledged!  Anyway, I'm just really impressed with everything Home is supposed to offer thus far.  Honestly, it doesn't sound like much, but just having some sort of achievement system is a very smart move on Sony's part.  There are a lot of games that I decided to buy for the 360 just because of the whole achievement point system.  I'm a huge nerd like that, apparently.  Wish I could have gotten into the beta, but I guess I'll have to suck it up, eh?  Good luck to all of us out there who didn't get invited =Þ 
Please use plain text.
Message 20 of 25 (0 Views)
0 Likes