PlayStation MVP
4404 posts

Re: Should You Bite The Hand That Feeds You? (Interesting Article On "Home Price Gouging")

Aug 17, 2013
First of all that thread that the article was based on was started by someone who has been repeatedly stating they are done with Home and the forums yet made every attempt to post their doom and gloom out of spite misdirected toward Home management. Second the person who wrote the article who stated JP Home was dead also recently posted another article voicing their disdain for JP Home and those who love being their, not to mention both the article author and editor of that site have both repeatedly proclaimed that Home is dying and has no future while having jobs with 2 major Home developers.
I do not find anything interesting or useful about moaning and whining over issues that the "Community" has no control over much less community management. people have been moaning about prices for years now but recently the money issue is mainly used as a segue to other rants such as "Your a fool to spend your money on a dying Home". I choose not to waste energy on discussions that insult or upset me anymore, especially when they just spawn more useless and repetitive threads. In the last few years these forums have become filled with self proclaimed pseudo celebrities and champions of activism that have taken away what used to be good and helpful here and turned this "Community" forum into a whipping post for for every personal, self absorbed tantrum.
What someone chooses to spend money on in Home is their buisness, it's fine to have an opinion on prices but hardly necessary to devote repeated threads to the subject. The suggestion forums at its height was filled with users asking for things that I've witnessed come to fruition just recently so the large quantity of weekly releases are not because developers are on a money grab but everything coming was askd for many months ago, personally I can say that 90% of the things that I requested or been part of discussing have been made. I've spent more per week in Home the last few months than ever, but I do it willfully and happily. When I have an issue or complaint I go directly to the developers Facebook or customer service where it will be seen by those who can actually do something with it, Home management can't be responsible for every disappointment or greif.
I may be partial but I know of better fan sites that really care about Home and its future, as well as those who love it also.
Please use plain text.
Message 21 of 45 (1,606 Views)
Welcoming Committee
3848 posts

Re: Should You Bite The Hand That Feeds You? (Interesting Article On "Home Price Gouging")

Aug 17, 2013

I believe the question of whining comes down to one simple thing: tone. While tone is more difficult to determine in written text than in voice, it's still the primary component in what is and is not whining, at least to me. 

If you write as an informed consumer, who has valid comparisons on price points vs. entertainment value then you are giving feedback.

If you take the petulant tone of a child that wants something given to them for no better reason than that's the way you WANT it, then you're whining. 

I believe developers are more inclined to listen to the former, rather than the latter. However, I still believe what we write on the forums has less impact than what we do with our money. If you complain the price is too high, but buy the item anyway, they are probably going to listen to what your money said, over you. That's just my opinion, though. I could be wrong. :smileyhappy:

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Please use plain text.
Message 22 of 45 (1,604 Views)
Fender Bender
2436 posts

Aug 17, 2013

I think the point of the article is that whinging (or whining) about prices is pointless when enough people keep spending money on the products in question. The fact that the community keeps buying items on a regular basis alone is proof that Home's merchandise is not overpriced. The market and people's willingness to spend set the prices. If the mall items were indeed overpriced, people would not buy them and prices would have to be adjusted accordingly.

Charges of gouging are simply absurd because nobody is required to buy anything on Home. Every Home purchase is discretionary and you can't really gouge somebody on a discretionary item. If somebody truly feels that they are being gouged or ripped off, then they should have enough restraint to skip the transaction. Otherwise, they're only affirming that the items are priced correctly and their complaints are pure hypocrisy.

castle3
Please use plain text.
Message 23 of 45 (1,585 Views)
PlayStation MVP
4298 posts

Aug 17, 2013

myalana wrote:

I'm not one to peruse the Home 3rd party sites often. I tend to enjoy reading and posting here in the Home Forum and usually shy away from the other sites. Recently, I read a post by another user that referenced one such site and mentioned an article that piqued my interest. Does Home Have A Middle Class was quite a read in my opinion. Basically, the article blasts Forum posters, (us) for whinging (British verb complaining fretfully) about price gouging over Home virtual items. I'll include a few interesting points:

"I’ve grown exceedingly tired of the same gaggle of whiny brats on the forum who campaign against what they see as price gouging by Home developers. Please. Grow the hell up. If you’ve ever bought tickets and junk food for a movie, paid some ungodly price for Starbucks coffee, or worn anything other than the absolute cheapest clothing label or bought clothes exclusively from second-hand stores, then you have paid a premium for an experience. Virtual goods are no different: they are an experience — and emotional satisfaction — and nothing more."

Interesting. I don't know what to think about this really, but then I guess I always assumed that customers have the right to speak up and to declare their dissatisfaction whether it be the with price of an item, the functionality, or anything else really. I understand that this is an unabashedly Pro-Sony site, with ties to at least a couple of different developers, but just as a former community manager's comments weren't popular with the community when he lashed out at others for criticism, I can't see how such a stance can do anything but alienate others.

Another quote:

"So this doesn’t mean you should blindly spend money on everything just to try to keep the lights on; rather, it means that you should make sure your voice is heard on what you will spend a premium on, because then you might end up with something fantastic and
Home might keep going for a while longer. Or, hey, keep whining about how prices should be lower. That approach sure seems effective, after all."

While I agree with the first statement, the sarcastic tone in the second rather belies the overall message.

So what do you think? Should customers not make their voices heard when it comes to the pricing structure of virtual items in Home? Don't such sentiments do little but serve to divide the community? I'm quite interested in what others think.

I always said what your saying. I just pay but do get mad if the item craps out like the Loot radio's and podi today. Well written I gave you a kudo..Nice job
sony playstation gif photo: Playstation. tumblr_m1ilz5Zv2H1qk2rgdo1_500_large.gif
Please use plain text.
Message 24 of 45 (1,555 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1729 posts

Aug 17, 2013
There's no need to bash a competitors site because of jealousy and or what they wrote from another's competitors site user and member.
As well as to promote ones own by assuming they don't care or are bad. Lol. And misguide others with lies.
HSM cares deeply enough for the community and whatever they produce and write is heartfelt and sincere.
There's no need to critique it's editor either nor state their business and or how they felt or feel on various issues either,
It's their site and they are free to say as they feel and express what they want.
and I see no reason why its got u all rattled up as its your competitors will to do as they please and what they post. As well as anything they want to say..
Their not out here posting random threads dedicated to complaining nor what they think of.. in fact what they think of is intelligent conversation and interesting articles by interesting people. People who have been dedicated to home for a long time and also the first to make a fan site dedicated to home and the community for intelligent feedback and thought provoking articles.
By its members for its members.
Others are just followers.
Their should be no reason to start your reply to any of this by going out all bashing on its editor and her viewpoints.
She's not really a typical and common member here nor does she partake in any of the silliness that goes on here and I'm sure she's not out scooping around as to whatever her competitor and following sites have to say... Ur site.
In fact I see as to what anything they has to say and should say over at HSM is any of your interest..
It's not ur site and you guys do ur own thing so why should that site be of any concern to you...? As well as their members or viewpoints?
It's not their fault their site is better, more popular has more views, fans and more History and also more passionate intelligent writers that can contribute to home and the community. also not to mention better people involved overall. Real people.
Don't get ur panties wound up and say none of them care for home because if they didn't, well their site would be pointless as well as to everything that everyone does over there.. And that's just plain silly..
Don't blame that site either because its that site that has more members in the home community that actually matter. Actually have contributed to this community and has brought quality to both home and their site.
HSM isn't about gossip and I think you just proved what u guys are all about..
So don't go to that other site folks...
Theirs a mature community out there.
And well, theirs just want what they got. Including drama.
More attention.
Their celebrity status.

If they didn't love home then why would they spend their time on it and writing about it..?
Sounds contradicting.
- Restless Dreams.
Please use plain text.
Message 25 of 45 (1,522 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2436 posts

[ Edited ]
Aug 17, 2013

chicagotops wrote:

In fact I see as to what anything they has to say and should say over at HSM is any of your interest..
It's not ur site and you guys do ur own thing so why should that site be of any concern to you...? As well as their members or viewpoints?

In all fairness, the HSM article referenced this Forum multiple times in a not so complimentary tone. HSM has every right to express their opinions but the site is certainly not above a response.

I agree with most of what terra_cide wrote but the very topic of the article concerns this Forum. Why should her barbed comments not warrant a response from their target?

castle3
Please use plain text.
Message 26 of 45 (1,508 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1729 posts

Aug 17, 2013
In all fairness I didn't read the article nor participated or read in any of the nonsense from that other thread.
In fact I mentioned price gouging in one of my posts that day and one knucklehead had a bright idea few minutes later after my post along with every follower pouring in with kudos blazing in his thread.
Whatever was said.
Its none of my concern.
Personally it's cheap people whom can't do anything with what they buy whom are proned to complain.

- Restless Dreams.
Please use plain text.
Message 27 of 45 (1,497 Views)
Lombax Warrior
148 posts

Aug 17, 2013

Ha ha!

What?!  :smileylol:

"If you’ve ever bought tickets and junk food for a movie, paid some ungodly price for Starbucks coffee, or worn anything other than the absolute cheapest clothing label or bought clothes exclusively from second-hand stores, then you have paid a premium for an experience."

Lets see, Starbuck's liabilties: farms / mills -  (cost - plus operations) , beans - (cost), farming equipment and workers - (cost), conservation programs - (checks) , packaging (cost), staging area (cost), transportation (cost) -- and it still haven't reached the 1000 plus stores(also cost) plus employee's (from CEO to the cashier / server = cost).

The right analogy?... Uhm... NO! 

Please use plain text.
Message 28 of 45 (1,446 Views)
PlayStation MVP
4404 posts

Aug 17, 2013

chicagotops wrote:
There's no need to bash a competitors site because of jealousy and or what they wrote from another's competitors site user and member.
As well as to promote ones own by assuming they don't care or are bad. Lol. And misguide others with lies.
HSM cares deeply enough for the community and whatever they produce and write is heartfelt and sincere.
There's no need to critique it's editor either nor state their business and or how they felt or feel on various issues either,
It's their site and they are free to say as they feel and express what they want.
and I see no reason why its got u all rattled up as its your competitors will to do as they please and what they post. As well as anything they want to say..
Their not out here posting random threads dedicated to complaining nor what they think of.. in fact what they think of is intelligent conversation and interesting articles by interesting people. People who have been dedicated to home for a long time and also the first to make a fan site dedicated to home and the community for intelligent feedback and thought provoking articles.
By its members for its members.
Others are just followers.
Their should be no reason to start your reply to any of this by going out all bashing on its editor and her viewpoints.
She's not really a typical and common member here nor does she partake in any of the silliness that goes on here and I'm sure she's not out scooping around as to whatever her competitor and following sites have to say... Ur site.
It's not their fault their site is better, more popular has more views, fans and more History and also more passionate intelligent writers that can contribute to home and the community. also not to mention better people involved overall. Real people.
Don't get ur panties wound up and say none of them care for home because if they didn't, well their site would be pointless as well as to everything that everyone does over there.. And that's just plain silly..
Don't blame that site either because its that site that has more members in the home community that actually matter. Actually have contributed to this community and has brought quality to both home and their site.
HSM isn't about gossip and I think you just proved what u guys are all about..
So don't go to that other site folks...
Theirs a mature community out there.
And well, theirs just want what they got. Including drama.
More attention.
Their celebrity status.

If they didn't love home then why would they spend their time on it and writing about it..?
Sounds contradicting.
I'm only supposing this was directed at my post. I urge you to read it again, nobody was bashed or bad mouthed and I did no advertizing of any sort. My statement only contained fact and seeing as you read none of the articles in question or the mentioned forum thread i find it perplexing how you managed to come up with such a rant. My response was made to the original post to add info that added missing perspective. I have no ill feelings to HSM or their staff and occasionally reply to some of the posts that I do find interesting and share links to good articles posted there.
Drama? Yours is overplayed. 

Please use plain text.
Message 29 of 45 (1,424 Views)
Treasure Hunter
3268 posts

Aug 17, 2013

chicagotops wrote:
In all fairness I didn't read the article nor participated or read in any of the nonsense from that other thread.
In fact I mentioned price gouging in one of my posts that day and one knucklehead had a bright idea few minutes later after my post along with every follower pouring in with kudos blazing in his thread.
Whatever was said.
Its none of my concern.
Personally it's cheap people whom can't do anything with what they buy whom are proned to complain.

You and I have rarely ever not seen eye to eye but in this case hun, your way off base in defending this site, especially when your admitting to not even reading the article that is doing the usual labeling/name calling.  Its as if the site a being ran by a bunch of people that think that they are smarter then the advantage Joe just cause they use a more extensive vocabulary as if they were writing to win some kind of literary award LOL.  

This same site published an article written by a Dev calling all Home users misfits, but even more disappointing is that people in these forums embraced that label and openly stated "Yes, I am a misfit".  (Just to clarify I did not, I dislike labels but that's a different topic) and that's just an example of how this what site you defend so furiously thinks of the users of Home. 

I have said this a several times on these forums already, people have a right to say, complain and or discuss whatever they want.  The bigger question is:  Why are we bothered by this?  So what if they say it 50 million times, so what if they make 50 million thread about it,  WHO CARES?!!  It is not my job or anyone else's to dictate or commence with the name calling or slap labels on people who do.  Moderation will do their diligent job to clean up, move or remove anything deemed unconstructive, negative or offensive.  

Most of the people that lurk in these forums are adults (the regulars), so maybe we should start acting like adults and respect everyone's opinion as they have a right (as customers of Sony) to express any discontent with anything Home related.  I have seen these forums turn around and become a more positive place, often seeing more community events and contests.  Not seeing eye to eye doesn't make me or you or anyone else the enemy, we are just different and maybe, just maybe if we took the time to listen to one another we could learn a thing or two about being in someone else's shoes and viewing things in a different perspective instead of complaining about complainers that complain.  LOL

Lets continue to push forward and work diligently to welcome new comers and shed some positive light on Home and ignore the negative backlash of people or sites that seem to forget often that we are the community and we deserved to be heard. Thank you Mya for your requesting our input in such matters 

Please use plain text.
Message 30 of 45 (1,407 Views)