Aug 17 2013
By: myalana Umbrella Scientist 6878 posts

Should You Bite The Hand That Feeds You? (Interesting Article On "Home Price Gouging")

[ Edited ]
44 replies 899 views Edited Aug 17, 2013

I'm not one to peruse the Home 3rd party sites often. I tend to enjoy reading and posting here in the Home Forum and usually shy away from the other sites. Recently, I read a post by another user that referenced one such site and mentioned an article that piqued my interest. Does Home Have A Middle Class was quite a read in my opinion. Basically, the article blasts Forum posters, (us) for whinging (British verb complaining fretfully) about price gouging over Home virtual items. I'll include a few interesting points:

"I’ve grown exceedingly tired of the same gaggle of whiny brats on the forum who campaign against what they see as price gouging by Home developers. Please. Grow the hell up. If you’ve ever bought tickets and junk food for a movie, paid some ungodly price for Starbucks coffee, or worn anything other than the absolute cheapest clothing label or bought clothes exclusively from second-hand stores, then you have paid a premium for an experience. Virtual goods are no different: they are an experience — and emotional satisfaction — and nothing more."

Interesting. I don't know what to think about this really, but then I guess I always assumed that customers have the right to speak up and to declare their dissatisfaction whether it be the with price of an item, the functionality, or anything else really. I understand that this is an unabashedly Pro-Sony site, with ties to at least a couple of different developers, but just as a former community manager's comments weren't popular with the community when he lashed out at others for criticism, I can't see how such a stance can do anything but alienate others.

Another quote:

"So this doesn’t mean you should blindly spend money on everything just to try to keep the lights on; rather, it means that you should make sure your voice is heard on what you will spend a premium on, because then you might end up with something fantastic and
Home might keep going for a while longer. Or, hey, keep whining about how prices should be lower. That approach sure seems effective, after all."

While I agree with the first statement, the sarcastic tone in the second rather belies the overall message.

So what do you think? Should customers not make their voices heard when it comes to the pricing structure of virtual items in Home? Don't such sentiments do little but serve to divide the community? I'm quite interested in what others think.

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 45 (899 Views)
PlayStation MVP
4377 posts

Re: Should You Bite The Hand That Feeds You? (Interesting Article On "Home Price Gouging")

Aug 17, 2013

There's a difference between biting and helping. If you keep telling them do this and that and be like "I refuse to buy anything until fixed", then it's kinda like biting it.

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 45 (896 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1729 posts

Re: Should You Bite The Hand That Feeds You? (Interesting Article On "Home Price Gouging")

Aug 17, 2013
Sounds like something D would write. Lol.
- Restless Dreams.
Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 45 (880 Views)
Gaming Beast
1817 posts

Aug 17, 2013

I understand how you feel. In the last couple weeks and moths there had been a  lot of forum bashing on that site.

I agrreed with the idea behind it most of the time. But the tone of it wasn't ... ehhh.... "that site worthy"

There IS a lot of whinning going on here. As well as some who think they are big because they have their little "clique" and some kind of reputation.

I think the 3rd party dev know how to sort things out.

As Cooldown would say. Haters gonna hate :smileywink:

co-founder
The Black Hat Squad/Black Hat Squadron/Novus Black Hats
Novus international elite force
Black Hats website
Black Hats on Facebook
Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 45 (876 Views)
PlayStation MVP
1897 posts

Aug 17, 2013
Interesting view points Mya, I as well have my own opinion on all this as well.

The article written seemed to be a bit out of hand, last I recall the PS Home community should be able to fairly leave feedback regarding prices as they'd like. As the article regards it as "whining", it's just constructive feedback and developers at times do want feedback on such things so they know what to do for future situations and some do take it into consideration to give content and prices that please their customers.

As long as we don't get out of hand with discussing prices on developer related content, I see no reason why we shouldn't be able to leave feedback on the matter.
Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 45 (849 Views)
Welcoming Committee
4701 posts

[ Edited ]
Aug 17, 2013

I read the article myself and I found that they actually made some really good points. I never took offense to it really, but then again I don't see myself as one of those who complain about pricing a lot.

I can see both sides to this, but life would be boring if we all had the same opinion on things. Could it have been worded better? Yes, of course it could but such as life.

I enjoyed the article overall.

Legendary_Vicki's SigLegendary_Vicki   Welcoming Committee v2.0   IamNinjaRabbit

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 45 (843 Views)
Umbrella Scientist
6878 posts

Aug 17, 2013

Legendary_Vicki wrote:

I read the article myself and I found that they actually made some really good points. I never took offense to it really, but then again I don't see myself as one of those who complain about pricing a lot.

I can see both sides to this, but then again life would be boring if we all had the same opinion on things. Could it have been worded better? Yes, of course it could but such as life.

I read it and was suprised by the "us vs them" mentality of it. It was as if the entire point of view was one of assumed superiority and that the "unwashed masses" needed a lesson in economics. I can appreciate a good rant as much as the next person, I just found it ironic how this particular rant (like many others "over there") was seemingly inspired by the very place and people that some want so little to do with.

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 45 (830 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1397 posts

Aug 17, 2013
Keep calm and carry on *they say
**bleep** ... *we say.
Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 45 (820 Views)
Welcoming Committee
4701 posts

Aug 17, 2013

myalana wrote:

Legendary_Vicki wrote:

I can see both sides to this, but then again life would be boring if we all had the same opinion on things. Could it have been worded better? Yes, of course it could but such as life.

I read it and was suprised by the "us vs them" mentality of it. It was as if the entire point of view was one of assumed superiority and that the "unwashed masses" needed a lesson in economics. I can appreciate a good rant as much as the next person, I just found it ironic how this particular rant (like many others "over there") was seemingly inspired by the very place and people that some want so little to do with.

Yeah, I guess I see your point. I don't really know too much about the site, it's not one I regulate very often. Think I came across the article on Twitter, so I don't know how it was intended. I just read it with an open mind and never took it personal. Maybe my skin is too thick :smileytongue:

Legendary_Vicki's SigLegendary_Vicki   Welcoming Committee v2.0   IamNinjaRabbit

Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 45 (809 Views)
Fender Bender
2589 posts

Aug 17, 2013

Squeaky wheel gets the oil.:womanhappy:

=+=Irresponsible kids are raised by irresponsible parents who were once irresponsible kids themselves.The vicious cycle continues.=+=
Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 45 (798 Views)