I Only Post Everything
1077 posts

Re: Saluting Jersquall

Jul 23, 2012

hello jersquall i would like to wise you the best on your retirement from the hcv's and i hope that your next endeavour will be just as rewarding for you . i can say that you will be missed by everyone involved in the community and by your friends . great job bubby and you will always be my best bud .

Gamer Indepth Podcast
Message 141 of 196 (363 Views)
Survivor
1691 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 23, 2012

Thank you for all you have done for the Home Community, Jersquall. You were the very first HCV I have ever met on my 3.5 years of playing Home, and I still remember you giving me the tour of the Dream Yacht. Don't tell the other HCVs, but you were one of my favorites, and I recommended you to many of my friends when they wanted more information about upcoming features on Home or needed tours of new spaces.  :smileywink:

Stay active on the Forums and Home. You have a great sense of humor, yet can still balance that with seriousness when need be. Most of all, I commend your genuine love for Home. :smileyhappy:

Message 142 of 196 (349 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1187 posts

Jul 23, 2012

matthewaristotle wrote:

Norse, thanks for making this thread.  Your adept & honest skills in writing are notable, bringing the whole picture together, showing support for someone (Jersquall) who cares very much about Home's future while keeping it real, noting the ups & downs, that it IS more than just time that an HVC donates, it's your heart & head as well.  I could only imagine, as being human, the number of times Jer has spent time in one place helping many people, repeating the same things, over & over again, while dealing with trolls & others who plague Home, trying to keep everybody civil.  Smh, I know that HAS to be difficult, as people can become lunatics in Home, so Jers, I salute you too, even though I have not seen you in action much, I know you have been.

If everybody reading this could imagine, relate to the dedication this takes, then anyone wondering what being an HVC is like will know.  I imagine that you may very put your foot-in-your-mouth about some things in brand new areas when asked certain questions, everybody makes mistakes.  I also know that you (Jersquall) must have guided people who are more than frustrating (due to lack of communication skills) or are not people you would normally want to hang with (pervs and/or obvious trolls who sought your guidance), this is the TRUE TEST as an HVC, guiding everyone and dealing with the social situations right there in the public arena as a guide.  To refrain from saying something back to any personal attack trolls, to reminding the users right there to mute, block, and ignore the trolls that show up when you are trying to help people.  To having to send reports yourself and perhaps intervene if what appears to be a sexual predator is present.  All these things are part of being an HVC, it's not rocket science to know this, but I imagine that it is even tougher to actually practice it while keeping a cool head.

So Kudos, Jersquall, you are one of the few who don't just say you care about Home's future, you actually practiced it in action, for many many years.  That takes a strength that few here could ever want to devote to or even be capable of. :smileyhappy:

You should get some sort of virtual trophy for this.

Sincerely, Matt

This is a really important point which shouldn't be overlooked. Jers walked the talk. He didn't get into the program because he felt it was a way to leverage his personal agenda of how he thought Home should be, or to gain some sort of ego boost based on internet "status" of some sort. He did it solely to help people. And for years, that's exactly what he did, even while being subjected to genuinely unfair attacks both public and private. 

It is a sad truth that some who aspire to reach the level Jersquall held are motivated for entirely the wrong reasons. And I daresay their specious veneers are not nearly so deceptive as they think. What was (and is) so impressive about Jers is that he never used the position as a personal bully pulpit; he was in it to help people and legitimately build community, and this he did -- daily. Not only was the work there, but most importantly, it came from the right motive. 

People can sense selflessness. Particularly in a me-first internet age. It's extremely rare to find; in my twenty or so years of internet enjoyment, I've only come across that level of selfless altruism six times. In each instance, those people did more to actually build community and foster a positive brand image than the legion of ego-driven also-rans who were grabbing for the spotlight for their own selfish reasons. And the sad part is that the also-rans are usually more publicly lauded, because we can relate to them, whereas it's very hard to relate to someone who's genuinely selfless -- which means that those rare people are usually subjected to undeserved derision, and only truly appreciated once they're gone.

For those looking to fill Jers' shoes: examine your motives, not just your actions. You actually do the community a disservice if you aspire to the level he reached out of a desire to bring your personal agenda to Sony, guised in some sort of populist sentiment. If you really want to help, then shelve the personal cause célèbre you feel might improve Home and get down to the business of truly enjoying helping others, without any thought of getting something back in return.

Here's the litmus test: if you're willing to commit years of your life to simply making Home more enjoyable for others, one person at a time, and you knew up front that no one would ever celebrate it, notice it, care about it, like you for it, give you kudos, tell you you're special or change even one aspect of How Things Are because of you...then you're in it for the right reasons.

Jersquall was in it for the right reasons. And the end result is plainly visible in this thread. Let it serve as a metaphorical guide beacon for those who aspire to the actual one.

Now go enjoy your retirement, Jers. There are (actual) girls in bikinis waiting to party with you at your pad.

NorseGamer

Editor-in-Chief, HSM

www.hsmagazine.net

Message 143 of 196 (305 Views)
Limit Breaker
16565 posts

Jul 24, 2012

Thanks everyone. I have heard from people not seen in a long time and friends met along the way these last few days and it has been extraordinary to say the least.  More than that it has been fun reminiscing with others and with this thread. Meeting people on tours and at events and just hanging out in home. Seeing a few of them here.

I will say this, This thread has been pretty awesome in that it has made me come to see that others notice you for you. I had a t-shirt. I had a beacon. No special ''powers''  Just willingness to lend a hand. So many others continue helping others in home all the time. I seen it the whole time being in home.  You've heard me say this before.. I am you. Home user. Looking for community. Found it and so much more..

Thanks, guys

:smileyhappy:

HomeStationMagazine
Message 144 of 196 (270 Views)
Fender Bender
1119 posts

Jul 24, 2012

I would feel extremely bad ( ashamed of myself ), if I didn't come and say " Thank You, Jersquall ". You have been a wonderful, calming, and respected HCV. Many of us look up to you, as a sterling example of what, how, and who we should all be on Home. Altho retiring from HCV; you will remain a favorite of many of us as a "regular" Home Member. :smileyhappy:

God Bless you.

photo Xmas3_1copy_1.jpg
Message 145 of 196 (251 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
679 posts

Jul 24, 2012

retiring lol .So  what you do to be let go Disagre with    glasswalls on  something probalay  way  more likely

Message 146 of 196 (215 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
401 posts

Jul 24, 2012

Cheers Jers.  No one can say you haven't earned it. 

Photobucket
Message 147 of 196 (177 Views)
MVP Support
998 posts

[ Edited ]
Jun 25, 2013

Hi, Jers. I have something to say. You are the most awesome guy on PlayStation Home I have ever met. You make me so happy when I see you and you are someone that I can go to whenever I feel sad. You always make me laugh and you always gave me good Tours of some Personal Spaces. You are indeed the Legendary MVP. Now, I'm a MVP and I will do it all it takes to step up to the Community and do a awesome job! I've been so patient with this after I have met you, Jers. I'm now 18!  I will mostly see you around on PlayStation Home, Jers. You are an awesome friend to me and you rock! Thank you, Jersquall! :smileyhappy:

MVP Support Banner.jpg

http://us.playstation.com/ps-mvp-program/terms-and-conditions/
Message 148 of 196 (154 Views)
First Son
8 posts

Jul 25, 2012

Wishing you the best of luck!

Message 149 of 196 (138 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
615 posts

Jul 25, 2012

Bro I can't beleive you are left the program but, I hope the best for you :smileyvery-happy:

Message 150 of 196 (133 Views)
0 Likes