Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Jan 24 2011
By: Jim777 Last Guardian 10807 posts

Rest in peace Home Community.

176 replies 113 views Edited Jan 24, 2011

There was once a time where PlayStation Home had a huge community full of passionate and engaged fans who love being a part of the application and the forums, they held events, knew eachother by name, and had fun.

Fun.

Back when then I posted frequently, there wasn’t a day that went by without me posting in the forums. It was more than just discussing news and upcoming events and updates with people, it was discussing how we where impacting the platform, it was the comradery, the sense that you where one of many who shared your interests.

That community is long since dead.

I barely post here anymore, and it’s not just the fact that these forums make it miserable to do so, it’s the fact that I don’t feel like I need to. If I want to talk about Home I just do it with my friends inside of Home, or on Twitter, etc. No longer do I feel like its worth my time to post in the forums. They have turned into a hostile environment where it feels like people are competing and not cooperating. The forums are not inviting to new users, they are not open to different ideas and opinions. What’s more is that I can’t even make a thread grow and change, once its posted its locked in stone and I have no flexibility.

I haven’t attended an event in months.

Early in the community’s life we would often have events hosted by the Home managers, sometimes with prizes sometimes just for fun. However as it stands now I have not attend any event in Home, official or otherwise, in several months. This is because users simply can’t throw proper events. Sure we can gather in a space, put down bubbles and dance. That was fun once, maybe twice. Now it’s just really boring and old. An event needs to be something dynamic, something that doesn’t feel like anything else. Something that feels like it has purpose. And Home is such a great platform for these kinds of events, for developers to speak with their fans, for management to let its hair down and speak openly with the community, and so on.

Managers don’t feel like people.

I miss GlassWalls. Not HCS GlassWalls, I miss Mod GlassWalls. Head Moderator GlassWalls enjoyed spending time with the community, speaking to people, having fun, playing tricks, and being a part of the community. HCS GlassWalls robotically posts on the blog, maybe spits out an automated reply to a question or complaint, and does little else. I had hoped he would retain his personality in his new job, and he has not. I would speak more about Locust_Star but simply put he never quite let his hair down like Glass used to.

Users shouldn’t run the show.

I won’t mention any names, but I will say this. Management is not running the show right now. Two users are, one of whom is a nice person and is being used by someone close and being slowly turned into someone not so nice. I will be discussing this more at a later date but I would like to see the HCV program returned to management and not being run by users. No Home user should have any more power of influence than any other user.

I don’t feel like myself anymore.

I would love to go back and speak to myself a year ago; I would love to get some of the energy and spirit from that Jim777. But I can’t, this community has been slowly burning me out, I tried the “Reap what you sow” method and have reaped and reaped and reaped. I would love to sow something. I don’t post like I used to, partly because the forums are such a pain to use now and partly because I don’t feel like I know anyone around the community anymore.

People are being hurt.

People are being bullied, lied to, misguided, threatened, told to not speak, told their opinions are wrong, told what they can or cannot do, spied on, interrogated all from the users they were told and once thought they could trust. (Those same users that are now running things.)

I miss the fun.

I miss CydoniaX.

I hate the politics.

I miss events.

I hate the sterility.

I miss the users who have left.

I don’t know the users who are here.

I wish I could say we could go back to the way things where. We can’t.

I wish I could say we could fix it. But we are past that point.

Maybe I’m wrong. Maybe I’m right.

I really hope I’m not right.

@Jim777PS
Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 177 (113 Views)
Treasure Hunter
6519 posts

Re: Rest in peace Home Community.

Jan 24, 2011
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 177 (113 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
1586 posts

Jan 24, 2011

Thats pretty deep, I do wonder what happend to alot of the CB, and older users...must have seemingly dropped off the servers...I do miss a lot of the passion and sense of community we use to have.

photo 2013_Forum_Sig.jpg
Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 177 (113 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
32256 posts

Jan 24, 2011

wow, i can relate to so much of that. O.o

im not the same person i was a year ago. my feeling for Home have practicaly done a 180.

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 177 (113 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2733 posts

Jan 24, 2011

Hi Jim,

I know we haven't, if ever, spoken to each other, so I guess I'm one of the ones you refer to as not knowing, but I have read your threads, and the enthusiasm that you have put into the Forums (and no doubt Home). You only need to look at the other posts and threads that are floating around now to know that your not the only one to feel like this. The whole community is disenchanted (thats the 3rd time I've used that word today!) but I still think things can improve. I know I'm nothing, a relatively low post count person compared to many, but I maybe a good barometer for the average person. I was very close to leaving these Forums but am still here hanging on, and its not all lost yet.

Please stick around, MercuryValentine is trying everything she can I think to try and help, I'm sure she shares our frustrations, and Locust and GlassWalls are not blind to whats going on, and I'm still hopefull that our HCMs can turn this around.

Just keep checking in,

Mer 

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 177 (113 Views)
Last Guardian
10807 posts

Jan 24, 2011

Mermaid-KT wrote:

Hi Jim,

I know we haven't, if ever, spoken to each other, so I guess I'm one of the ones you refer to as not knowing, but I have read your threads, and the enthusiasm that you have put into the Forums (and no doubt Home). You only need to look at the other posts and threads that are floating around now to know that your not the only one to feel like this. The whole community is disenchanted (thats the 3rd time I've used that word today!) but I still think things can improve. I know I'm nothing, a relatively low post count person compared to many, but I maybe a good barometer for the average person. I was very close to leaving these Forums but am still here hanging on, and its not all lost yet.

Please stick around, MercuryValentine is trying everything she can I think to try and help, I'm sure she shares our frustrations, and Locust and GlassWalls are not blind to whats going on, and I'm still hopefull that our HCMs can turn this around.

Just keep checking in,

Mer 

Hello Mer

I can see that i am not alone, and i dont think i could everfully leave the community or forums, as far as turning around i really dont know. One thing is clear, even if it gets better it wont be as it was.

@Jim777PS
Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 177 (113 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2604 posts

Jan 24, 2011

My take...

"Life goes on, c'est la vie..."

----------------------------------------------
"I present you facts, not sugar coated fiction..."

"Art imitate life, life imitate art..."

"To live through an uneventful day from sunrise to sunset, is the most precious that one can ask for..."

"You create the world of the dream. We bring the subject into that dream and fill it with their subconscious." - Dominic Cobb
----------------------------------------------
Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 177 (113 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
29179 posts

Jan 24, 2011

Japan has a great model for events. They hold them all the time. Events on home are a reason for friends to get together. I'd love to be able to talk about those events here but it appears other regions are now taboo. Taboo for reasons I find hard to fathom. Home is home regardless of region and talking about what is going on in those regions should be ENCOURAGED and NOT FROWNED UPON!

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 177 (113 Views)
Lombax Warrior
85 posts

Jan 24, 2011

uh oh... you mentioned another region! shame on you!

Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 177 (113 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
339 posts

Jan 24, 2011

Jim,Jim,Jim...I tend to bump into in game and in Home on occasion, so this one really saddens me. I do understand where you're coming from, but...yeah there's a "but" You need to put your chin up and help the cause. We can't just all give up and let "them" have these forums and Home. Someone taught me a loooong time ago to "kill them with kindness" Sure beats getting mad over some moron that lacks the creativity to find anything better to do than troll and be a rude lil.... you know.

I know we can't really pull off "amazing" events as users, but there are definetly some unused ideas out there.

Maybe you should start a thread asking for suggestions on some of these topics you have brought up? I'd avoid the HCV thing though lol..all I can say to that is we are all human and a side effect of that is being flawed..all of us in different ways.

I miss Cyd too and I don't even have a clue what happened or who she was, but Home no longer has a princess...online world without a princess....yeesh!

I like shiny things and string :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 177 (113 Views)