Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
I Only Post Everything
1169 posts

Re: RACISM IN HOME!

Sep 22, 2011

no your views into the subject of the human psych are more than welcome. It just gets tiring hearing "homelings" being injected into subjects that don't warrent it. That was always something that bothered me, and no other group on home does it. You don't see us hammies jumping into the convo complaining that we get called rats all the time, and that it's similar to racism. That's all i meant by that.

You know I've always respected you, and at no time did I "attack you personally". Just don't understand the need to constantly inject a fictional group of beings into a real life scenario, and this isn't the first time it's been done by a homeling.Just be a person, an individual capable of having something to say without being part of the herd.

Keara22HI wrote:

OK, DJ, I was thinking of racism as a familiar example of a prejudice based on physical appearance.  There are prejudices, of course, that are not based on physical appearance, but racism is one of the best known.  In Home the clearest example of prejudice based solely on physical appearance is the few people who attack Homelings without knowing anything about them other than their appearance.

When I was researching human behavior for one of my graduate theses , it was interesting to study modern mores and norms in terms of tribalism.  Some things just haven't changed over the centuries.  And prejudice based on a fear of the 'outsider' is still common.

So, if it seems like I am poking my nose into the social behaviors emerging in a virtual reality, just know that this is a new social phenomenon and well worth the time necessary to study it.  I am not a spokesman for the Homelings;  I am a lowly Newling and intend to stay that way forever since I find para-military ranks a little too 'school-yard' to take seriously.  So, if you feel the need to attack me personally, let's do it in a adult manner:  pitchforks and cow dung at 20 paces!

Please use plain text.
Message 41 of 54 (64 Views)
Treasure Hunter
5092 posts

Sep 22, 2011

Keara22HI wrote:

It all goes back to the beginnings of social behavior:  this is OUR cave, this is OUR food, these are OUR women, this is OUR valley and we will kill to defend it all.  The origin of racial prejudice goes back to the tribal gene pool:  these are OUR women!  The fear of outsiders moving in relates directly to:  these are OUR jobs!  this is OUR food!

What is still a sociological mystery to me is why someone who suffers from prejudicial treatment in real life would seek it in a virtual reality by replicating the very features (skin color, mode of attire, etc.) that are causing them to suffer in real life? 

Keara, you're describing competition, which is not the same thing as prejudice. Personally I'm not very fond of the word "prejudice" as it seems to be a very nebulous concept. But if pressed, I would define prejudice as judgements made about an individual based solely upon their membership in some perceived group. In practice, I think it's understood that these judgements are negative in nature, and are tied to group stereotypes. So prejudice is harmful in that it often leads to incorrect valuations being placed upon individuals. In other words, preconceived ideas are being allowed to distort the accurate perception and evaulation of individuals and objective reality.

Now the thing that I find curious is the statement that it's not rational to replicate features in virtual reality which often result in prejudice in real life. So am I misunderstanding you, or are you saying that people who are Black, short, overweight, etc should not replicate these features in virtual avatars? And not to turn this into a discussion about the Homelings, but you knew going in that the Homelings receive a certain amount of negative attention in Home, and yet you joined them, so is that rational?

Please use plain text.
Message 42 of 54 (64 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1169 posts

Sep 22, 2011

It seems that the non replication of features that could cause prejudicial treatment in home would create a mass of bald white people...wait a minute...But, to those who have read books like The Giver or even 1984, we realize that man is meant to be diverse. If we all walk around looking, talking, acting and believing the same then we are nothing more than biological robots; meandering about until we expire.

People should be free, and able, to make their avatar look however they want without worry of being slandered or belittled because of it. Sadly we live in an imperfect world full of imperfect people, and some of them are going to hate for the seemingly pointless reason of "just because".

Haters gonna hate.

In the end, the OP shouldn't have to hear derogatory racial slurs, but at the same time, to act like a singular race, sex, creed, religion, or sexual orientation gets things worse than any other, is simply ignorant. Everyone gets it at some point. It's how you respond to it that shows the fiber of your being. So just keep your head up, strut, and don't let the ignorant people with nothing nice to say bother you. They're probably only bashing on you because of some inner self loathing, insecurity, or envy.

Please use plain text.
Message 43 of 54 (64 Views)
Survivor
2284 posts

Sep 22, 2011

Gentlemen, you both know me quite well - and you both know that I came to Home initially because of all my years of gaming (for relaxation periods from a highly stressful career).  I stayed, however, when I realized the implications of virtual reality as a social phenomenon.  Although I was no longer under pressure to "perish or publish", the sheer joy of social research was still a motivating force in my life.  This is the new petri dish of society.  It is a 'sea change' that will affect life as we know it as drastically as the invention of the telephone - which forever changed communication.

Having spent so many years immersed in human behavior case studies, especially tribal behavior from the earliest days of humanity's evolution to present day,  how could I not be fascinated by the behavior I found in here?  Do you really think any club or organization is of any importance to me as anything other than an inside look at how social norms are evolving in this environment?

Now put aside your own emotional involvements in here and look at this creation dispassionately: a person can utilize any representation of himself he choose to create.  No one says your 'avatar' must resemble your real life appearance.  So, my question then becomes, if your real life appearance causes you problems, why perpetuate them in here?    So when I saw that a group in Home was being feared and attacked due to a voluntary appearance designed to provoke such reactions, I had to explore it from the inside.  If I had first seen the Hamsters being attacked, I probably would have joined them.  That's why I show up for all the 'accumulations' and not for the committees.  It is the interaction between those being attacked and those who are doing the attacking that I am studying.

You see, you are on the right track when you link competition for survival as tribes to present day prejudicial acts by groups:  but the irony is, in a virtual reality there is nothing to compete for!  There is no money.  There is no real power.  There is no elected office of any value.  There are no jobs.  No one goes to school.  No one gets sick.  No one dies.  No one ever goes hungry. It is all a mirage!  And yet, "gangsta" tribes in Home pursue their territorial wars as if they were actually dividing up drug-selling areas!  People who are otherwise intelligent beings get into squabbles over ranks in organizations as if those ranks had any real life meaning whatsoever!  Boys get into fights over pixels shaped into cartoons of human females as if they actually believe they have met someone who really looks like that!

It is irrational behavior that is directed almost totally by emotion rather than logic.  I won't go on with this dissertation since I probably lost 90% of the readers in the first paragraph, but if you ever want to meet and actually discuss these findings, just let me know.  Meanwhile, I can give you an extensive bibliography of publications that examine real life human behavior and the history behind it.  Finish those and you will be incapable of any form of prejudice whatsoever.

Please use plain text.
Message 44 of 54 (64 Views)
Treasure Hunter
4834 posts

Sep 22, 2011

Dj_Tenchu wrote:

. . .   You don't see us hammies jumping into the convo complaining that we get called rats all the time, and that it's similar to racism. That's all i meant by that.   . . .

Ratism in Home?     I, LOL as this thread grows less obvious to reach a point. 

Edit:    BTW Dj, I'm not pickling on you, it's those damm pickle people I cantz standz. 

Please use plain text.
Message 45 of 54 (64 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
1817 posts

Sep 22, 2011

Pickle Peaple???

It's not easy being green, kane

Please use plain text.
Message 46 of 54 (64 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5092 posts

Sep 22, 2011

Keara22HI wrote:

You see, you are on the right track when you link competition for survival as tribes to present day prejudicial acts by groups:  but the irony is, in a virtual reality there is nothing to compete for!  There is no money.  There is no real power.  There is no elected office of any value.  There are no jobs.  No one goes to school.  No one gets sick.  No one dies.  No one ever goes hungry. It is all a mirage!  And yet, "gangsta" tribes in Home pursue their territorial wars as if they were actually dividing up drug-selling areas!  People who are otherwise intelligent beings get into squabbles over ranks in organizations as if those ranks had any real life meaning whatsoever!  Boys get into fights over pixels shaped into cartoons of human females as if they actually believe they have met someone who really looks like that!

Keara,

Perhaps it's just that I need some morning coffee, but I still hear you saying rather clearly that people who are discriminated against in real life, or suffer from any sort of prejudice, shouldn't recreate those characteristics in a virtual avatar, because it's not rational. But perhaps, perhaps this is tied to your viewpoint that virtual reality is all an illusion, and that "there's nothing to compete for."

I would tend to disagree with all of these assertions. But I'm not going to pursue this discussion here. Thank you for giving me food for thought though.

Please use plain text.
Message 47 of 54 (64 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
508 posts

Sep 22, 2011

Just for the record this is what happened. A young lady and a guy was sitting (in the glitch way where they are on top on a bench) outside. I came over because it was a very big social gathering. I sat on the bench where the two i just motioned and sat down. I noticed it was cluttered so I sad excuse me for sitting here and offered the young lady my seat. Then the rude comments about my afro and what I looked like came out. The young lady said go away I'm not a kid I'm 27 and I am "prejudice". The Mods can go back and pull this up to verify this. Not only was the two doing it but random people started taking shots as well. I don't know if they where friends of what but they did gang up with the insults. #2 I do not for any reason play with my counter parts with use of the N word. I am a light skinned black male. My grandmother was white and my grandfather was black (They both passed). #3 to the people that say "stop the drama" if this was not happening to me on a regular basis I would not have said a word. #4 Thank you to the ones that offered advise on how to handle this in the future. I will just send a report and block them. #5 Just on a personal note I think its sad that when someone has been attacked maliciously (which is not right in the first place) only to have some people undermine it and pass it off like its no big deal.......that is more than sad in my opinion.

Proud PS4 owner as of 11/15/2013
Please use plain text.
Message 48 of 54 (64 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5092 posts

Sep 22, 2011

Jaytee, I'm not excusing the use of racial slurs, but your account of things raises a lot of questions. You stated "it was a very big social gathering." The bench "was cluttered." And you "offered the young lady my seat." This makes it sound like you intentionally focused on that one young lady and deliberately invaded her personal space, to the point where you were either sitting on top of her, or at least sharing some of her seating space. If that's the case, then I can understand rude comments being made towards you, and assuming the group of people nearby were her friends, it's also no surprise that they would support her.

The fact that you didn't know if they were her friends or not makes it clear that you didn't know anyone in this group yourself. If you find yourself being insulted in Home on a regular basis, and this is your normal behavior, then I think it might help you to try to see things from the perspective of that young lady and her friends. Or, imagine you were that guy sitting on a bench talking to a female friend, and some guy you've never seen before walks up out of nowhere, sits down on top of her and then starts trying to chat her up. How would you feel about that?

JAYTEE1974 wrote:

Just for the record this is what happened. A young lady and a guy was sitting (in the glitch way where they are on top on a bench) outside. I came over because it was a very big social gathering. I sat on the bench where the two i just motioned and sat down. I noticed it was cluttered so I sad excuse me for sitting here and offered the young lady my seat. Then the rude comments about my afro and what I looked like came out. The young lady said go away I'm not a kid I'm 27 and I am "prejudice". The Mods can go back and pull this up to verify this. Not only was the two doing it but random people started taking shots as well. I don't know if they where friends of what but they did gang up with the insults.

320G Ps3 owner
Please use plain text.
Message 49 of 54 (64 Views)
I Only Post Everything
1169 posts

Sep 23, 2011

I was suggesting the futility of such a statement...I think it's silly to suggest that home clicks getting trolled by each other can be compared to racism. An elected look, attire, or attitude, being trolled is in no way comparable to being slandered for the way your were born, and suggesting so, in my opinion, is grasping at straws to prove some point that is silly to begin with.

and agreed, this thread is going nowhere but into the ovver analyzed bucket.

Please use plain text.
Message 50 of 54 (64 Views)