Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Treasure Hunter
4375 posts

Re: RACISM IN HOME!

Sep 21, 2011

shoryuken wrote:

Sarge, you must be hanging around with the wrong black people.  Most of my friends and family would pull out a belt if the word is heard in their presence, no matter the ethnicity of the one saying it.  But, I will agree that no race has the market cornered on racism.  During my time in the Middle East and SE Asia I've had friends translate what is being said around me.  They would only tell me half of what they said because it sometime shocked them as well, and they knew I did not fit the normal stereotypes.

Yes.  Everybody is an individual.  My Girlfriend is Italian, she hates pasta.  So what?

It doesn't change the fact that the word is used by black culture.  Music and other media made by black culture, for black culture, use that word fairly often.  And it is accepted by the culture.  Nobody sanctions Snoop Dog or 50 cent when they use that word in their songs.

Yet someone like Dog Chapman uses the word, in a private conversation, and he gets his show pulled off the air.

Did anyone know the full context that Dog used the word in that conversation?  Did anyone bother to listen to the full recording?  Did anyone care?

My God, white people can't even use the word to do an impartial news report on the use of the word. 

A reporter was fired because he wrote a piece reporting about some elder statesman who was rightly in trouble because he used the N word.  The reporter referred to the word in the article by printing the actual word.  Fired.

What is this Harry Potter?  We must refer to it as "the word who's name can not be spoken"?  But only if your white.  If your black, hey no problem, put it in a rap song and sell it if you want.  It's OK because your a member of the club.

Racism.  Plain and simple.

Be One With The Game.

Please use plain text.
Message 31 of 54 (43 Views)
Survivor
2432 posts

Sep 21, 2011

Dj_Tenchu wrote:

And by the same token blacks calling whites the "C" word should be outlawed too.Oh and how dare we forget the people running around in turbons, with the AK on their backs with beards calling themselves terrorists. or the people making a mockery of religion by making "jesus" avatars? How bout we all accept that people don't get along and move on?

obvious troll is obvious

this thread is trying to get attention, nothing more.

Photobucket

So glad to see somebody besides me notice that. Has the OP even posted again?

Photobucket
Please use plain text.
Message 32 of 54 (43 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
81 posts

Sep 21, 2011

C word? LoL. Don't tell me people actually get offended by being called that. If someone called me that I'd laugh in their face because it's so ridiculous. About the 'N' word. It's how you use it. Just like the 'F' word. If you'd say "wow "n" did you see that?" the person wouldn't really be offended. If you go on saying "oh look its a "n" then yes they might. Just with the 'C' word I guess... though I don't know why people call others that because it's really -_- you'll look very..extremely silly calling someone that.

~~

Edited to remove inappropriate language. -M.S.

i luv my waffles red >:3 im the butter to your tometa, the apple to your banana, the toe nail clippings to your jar, the content to your forum, meow.
Please use plain text.
Message 33 of 54 (43 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
6124 posts

Sep 21, 2011

The-Sarge wrote:

shoryuken wrote:

Sarge, you must be hanging around with the wrong black people.  Most of my friends and family would pull out a belt if the word is heard in their presence, no matter the ethnicity of the one saying it.  But, I will agree that no race has the market cornered on racism.  During my time in the Middle East and SE Asia I've had friends translate what is being said around me.  They would only tell me half of what they said because it sometime shocked them as well, and they knew I did not fit the normal stereotypes.

Yes.  Everybody is an individual.  My Girlfriend is Italian, she hates pasta.  So what?

It doesn't change the fact that the word is used by black culture.  Music and other media made by black culture, for black culture, use that word fairly often.  And it is accepted by the culture.  Nobody sanctions Snoop Dog or 50 cent when they use that word in their songs.

Yet someone like Dog Chapman uses the word, in a private conversation, and he gets his show pulled off the air.

Did anyone know the full context that Dog used the word in that conversation?  Did anyone bother to listen to the full recording?  Did anyone care?

My God, white people can't even use the word to do an impartial news report on the use of the word. 

A reporter was fired because he wrote a piece reporting about some elder statesman who was rightly in trouble because he used the N word.  The reporter referred to the word in the article by printing the actual word.  Fired.

What is this Harry Potter?  We must refer to it as "the word who's name can not be spoken"?  But only if your white.  If your black, hey no problem, put it in a rap song and sell it if you want.  It's OK because your a member of the club.

They may take our Other OS,
or our PSN.

But they will never take,

OUR FREEDOM!!!

Come on its a horrible word used by whites and has a bad history, stop trying to put the blame on black people,,, just don't use the N word period, black people that use the N word are probably not educated and have no self pride.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Please use plain text.
Message 34 of 54 (43 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4375 posts

Sep 21, 2011

LiLBlueEyes wrote:

Come on its a horrible word used by whites and has a bad history, stop trying to put the blame on black people,,, just don't use the N word period, black people that use the N word are probably not educated and have no self pride.

Talk about missing the point.

The point is if the word is not to be used, it should not be used by anyone.  Which means that blacks who use the word, in any context, should be just as militantly criticised and sanctioned by their own community as whites are.

I'm not blaming anyone.  I'm pointing out the instance of racism that exists within the black community.  I know the popular belief is that black people can't be racist, but in 2011, they are just as capable of such as any other race out there.  This being a prime example of it.

Be One With The Game.

Please use plain text.
Message 35 of 54 (43 Views)
Splicer
81 posts

Sep 21, 2011

I think you're missing the point. "Come on its a horrible word used by whites and has a bad history". "bad history" "history" "bad" "used by whites" "whites". Plus, if anyone being racist, it's white people for making it so your race can't say that word & lose their job or something.

BTW, MS.Are you telling me that 'c' cannot be used on this site? Eh, I guess it was the way I was using it. Basically proving my point.

i luv my waffles red >:3 im the butter to your tometa, the apple to your banana, the toe nail clippings to your jar, the content to your forum, meow.
Please use plain text.
Message 36 of 54 (43 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
414 posts

Sep 21, 2011

The-Sarge wrote:

shoryuken wrote:

They may take our Other OS,
or our PSN.

But they will never take,

OUR FREEDOM!!!

Is there a button that expresses more than just "like" for  comments?  That was an awesome input on the thread IMO, and he's right.  You're best bet would be to just ignore it if it bothers you, or if it bothers you on PSN, just report the person and be on with your day.

Knowledge is power,
Ignorance is bliss,
Abstenence is control.
Don't go around trying to know and do everything.
Please use plain text.
Message 37 of 54 (43 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1169 posts

Sep 22, 2011

Only a homeling could do the mental gymnastics nessesary to make a thread about racism include the homelings. The OP is offended by a term that is what? 200 years old? No club on home being trolled can be compared to that by any stretch of the imagination. Maybe people don't like homelings because they feel the unyeilding need to stick their nose everywhere?

Keara22HI wrote:

I joined the Homelings because I was fascinated to see how blind prejudice can erupt even in a 'virtual reality' and how a group of people can deliberately invite attack whilst learning how to deal with it in a passive way - and often win over their attacker. Humans are still 'tribal', long after the cave dwelling days have faded away.  Anyone who is not of "the tribe" because of differences in skin color, culture, religious beliefs, overall appearance, educational level, etc. is considered to be an "outsider" and the more frightened of the tribe members try to drive off the 'outsider'.

It all goes back to the beginnings of social behavior:  this is OUR cave, this is OUR food, these are OUR women, this is OUR valley and we will kill to defend it all.  The origin of racial prejudice goes back to the tribal gene pool:  these are OUR women!  The fear of outsiders moving in relates directly to:  these are OUR jobs!  this is OUR food!

These knee jerk reactions are still there, at least subconsciously, and erupt whenever a group feels threatened in any way.  For example, what is so scary about the Homelings?  They look different.  They are busy doing something as a group.  They talk a lot to each other about unknown activities.  They may be a threat!  So they must be attacked and driven away.  Or, if they appear to be stronger than current affiliation, they must be joined for protection and tribal identity.

What is still a sociological mystery to me is why someone who suffers from prejudicial treatment in real life would seek it in a virtual reality by replicating the very features (skin color, mode of attire, etc.) that are causing them to suffer in real life? 

Please use plain text.
Message 38 of 54 (43 Views)
Fender Bender
2436 posts

Sep 22, 2011

to no one in particular, but to everyone whom it may concern.

There are some words and actions that we can not say or do simply because SONY says we can't as it (they) is (are) against their TOS.

Is there something about that that is not understandable?

Born in the U.S.A. - Bruce Springsteen
trolling is for fishing, not the forums

Please use plain text.
Message 39 of 54 (43 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2284 posts

Sep 22, 2011

OK, DJ, I was thinking of racism as a familiar example of a prejudice based on physical appearance.  There are prejudices, of course, that are not based on physical appearance, but racism is one of the best known.  In Home the clearest example of prejudice based solely on physical appearance is the few people who attack Homelings without knowing anything about them other than their appearance.

When I was researching human behavior for one of my graduate theses , it was interesting to study modern mores and norms in terms of tribalism.  Some things just haven't changed over the centuries.  And prejudice based on a fear of the 'outsider' is still common.

So, if it seems like I am poking my nose into the social behaviors emerging in a virtual reality, just know that this is a new social phenomenon and well worth the time necessary to study it.  I am not a spokesman for the Homelings;  I am a lowly Newling and intend to stay that way forever since I find para-military ranks a little too 'school-yard' to take seriously.  So, if you feel the need to attack me personally, let's do it in a adult manner:  pitchforks and cow dung at 20 paces!

Please use plain text.
Message 40 of 54 (43 Views)
0 Likes