0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
29175 posts

Re: Quite possibly the best constructive criticism thread on Home

Dec 7, 2009

xDie4Herx wrote:

Joanna_Dark_ wrote:

xDie4Herx wrote:

quote from thread-"" do fully understand that it is up to the developers to feel it is worth dedicating their time to implement all the above. But it is more than obvious that if Home remains a social gathering spot with a dance floor, a soda bar, and a fashion show that have all nothing to do with video games, then they will undoubtly never support the service. Respectfully, who would? It is time for a change in direction, in priorities""

I applaud this person.

Message Edited by xDie4Herx on 12-06-2009 04:52 PM

So you think hard core gamers are going to spend money in home? Most wouldn't spend a dime. They'd use the service solely for the gaming aspects of it. Now who exactly is going to pay for the development and maintenace of the service over the long term. I doubt they will

You need a wide audience who take advantage of this social environment. From those who buy clothes to funiture to those who play games.  The larger and more diverse the population the better.

Message Edited by Joanna_Dark_ on 12-06-2009 05:16 PM

The problem is, there is a bigger focus on content than features that revolve around gaming, and that is not Home, that is called Second Life, and I didn't download Home to play Second life.

I fully understand the concept of attracting the larger audience, that's exaclty what Nintendo did. The Wii currently leads in hardware sales all because it attracts "the larger and more diverse population", yet anyone with a brain would quickly realize how badly the system lacks in quality and software. And yes, gamers would spend money on Home if more items or features were themed on gaming.

Message Edited by xDie4Herx on 12-06-2009 05:29 PM

I would hope so because it's going to take hard core, soft core and those who don't play any games to make this a killer app. I believe it will happen. Maybe not as fast as some would like but I'm personally pretty optimistic about it.

We'll have to wait and see.

Please use plain text.
Message 12 of 34 (1 View)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1045 posts

Dec 7, 2009

hemihotrod402 wrote:
if he has that many complaints anout the european home, he should see ours

His complaints were more about the features that haven't arrived yet and the greater focus on lousy content instead of more important issues, so I think NA and EU are the same when it comes to this.
Photobucket
Please use plain text.
Message 13 of 34 (1 View)
Lombax Warrior
118 posts

Dec 7, 2009

I agree that localizing isn't necessary, mainly because all sold content has a picture of the thing you are buying or allows you to see it on your avatar before buying.  Do you reallly need a translation for chair or shirt.. people are more globally aware than past generations,that are still pulling the triggers at SCE, todays gamer doesn't care if somethings written in japanese or worse, french.  not to mention that from a content supply side the localisation must be a b*tch, unless sony takes the hit and handles all content integration the devs must be bearing the brunt.  

Regardless, localisation is a minor problem, the bigger issue seems to be the instability of the network and the limitations of turn based games.  I'd love to see Home as a "gaming platform" but until SCE begins to throw money at providing a true multiplayer experience its just not a realistic goal. 

Please use plain text.
Message 14 of 34 (1 View)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3203 posts

Dec 7, 2009

xDie4Herx wrote:

Joanna_Dark_ wrote:

xDie4Herx wrote:

quote from thread-"" do fully understand that it is up to the developers to feel it is worth dedicating their time to implement all the above. But it is more than obvious that if Home remains a social gathering spot with a dance floor, a soda bar, and a fashion show that have all nothing to do with video games, then they will undoubtly never support the service. Respectfully, who would? It is time for a change in direction, in priorities""

I applaud this person.

So you think hard core gamers are going to spend money in home? Most wouldn't spend a dime. They'd use the service solely for the gaming aspects of it. Now who exactly is going to pay for the development and maintenace of the service over the long term. I doubt they will

You need a wide audience who take advantage of this social environment. From those who buy clothes to funiture to those who play games.  The larger and more diverse the population the better.

The problem is, there is a bigger focus on content than features that revolve around gaming, and that is not Home, that is called Second Life, and I didn't download Home to play Second life.

I fully understand the concept of attracting the larger audience, that's exaclty what Nintendo did. The Wii currently leads in hardware sales all because it attracts "the larger and more diverse population", yet anyone with a brain would quickly realize how badly the system lacks in quality and software. And yes, gamers would spend money on Home if more items or features were themed on gaming.

I'm sorry but your argument falls very short...what has the shortcomings in wii hw/sw have ANYTHING to do with the development of Home?

I am in agreement with Joanna. Home is something more than just a gamer application. It is more like a social networking application with a core gamer element to it.

It is NOT second life.

While I think this post is good from the EU...I do not beleive it represents the future of Home.

I beleive content IS the key for the future of Home. Each developer raising the bar of what is acceptable for the next. Fisrt we had nDreams and the conce;t of embedded minigames and ARG in Home...then irem created expanding spaces and progressive rewards...now Loco island has created the progressive personal space.

I think the next move is a premium service that allows Homies to stream video and audio from the HDD for a fee (above the free service of Home basic).

Please use plain text.
Message 15 of 34 (1 View)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1045 posts

Dec 7, 2009

cbeyond wrote:

xDie4Herx wrote:

Joanna_Dark_ wrote:

xDie4Herx wrote:

I applaud this person.

I'm sorry but your argument falls very short...what has the shortcomings in wii hw/sw have ANYTHING to do with the development of Home?

I am in agreement with Joanna. Home is something more than just a gamer application. It is more like a social networking application with a core gamer element to it.

It is NOT second life.

While I think this post is good from the EU...I do not beleive it represents the future of Home.

I beleive content IS the key for the future of Home. Each developer raising the bar of what is acceptable for the next. Fisrt we had nDreams and the conce;t of embedded minigames and ARG in Home...then irem created expanding spaces and progressive rewards...now Loco island has created the progressive personal space.

I think the next move is a premium service that allows Homies to stream video and audio from the HDD for a fee (above the free service of Home basic).

Joanna said that you must attract every audience(basically diverse it up a bit), to which I reply, that the focus has been on lousy content and casual crap, rather than gaming. This is similar to Nintendo's Wii, they have attracted a bigger audience, yet I would rather watch grass grow, then play a Wii with 8 yr olds.

More like a Second Life casual style element to it.

** If you truly believe that content is the future of Home, I'm simply speechless, obviously, content HAS BEEN the focus in Home, and Obviously it has not been working well now has it? Home has been strongly criticized by the media and some PS3 gamers themselves refuse to use the app. C'mon, Home should have been a killer app, but no, content over features right? Home is extremely lacking features, and has plenty of "content" for those of you who value virtual clothes and houses.

Photobucket
Please use plain text.
Message 16 of 34 (1 View)
Fender Bender
3203 posts

Dec 7, 2009

xDie4Herx wrote:

cbeyond wrote:

xDie4Herx wrote:

Joanna_Dark_ wrote:

xDie4Herx wrote:

I applaud this person.

It is NOT second life.

Joanna said that you must attract every audience(basically diverse it up a bit), to which I reply, that the focus has been on lousy content and casual crap, rather than gaming. This is similar to Nintendo's Wii, they have attracted a bigger audience, yet I would rather watch grass grow, then play a Wii with 8 yr olds.

More like a Second Life casual style element to it.

** If you truly believe that content is the future of Home, I'm simply speechless, obviously, content HAS BEEN the focus in Home, and Obviously it has not been working well now has it? Home has been strongly criticized by the media and some PS3 gamers themselves refuse to use the app. C'mon, Home should have been a killer app, but no, content over features right? Home is extremely lacking features, and has plenty of "content" for those of you who value virtual clothes and houses.

your opinion. not mine. (and i'm winning btw)

Please use plain text.
Message 17 of 34 (1 View)
0 Likes
Sackboy
566 posts

Dec 7, 2009
Gotta agree with the OP in the European Forum. The people who like playing "house" and enjoy playing a stripped down version of Sims love Home right now as is, and don't see what all the fuss is about. It's not a coincidence that most of the girls on this forum can't understand what's wrong with having an application that primarily allows you to play dress up and talk all day. Its easy to be patient when you're already having the time of your life mixing and matching clothes and then talking to your friends about it for an hour or two. Those of us who are looking for an actual use for this App outside of the aforementioned reasons are wondering what happened to the promises that were made in '07 regarding this service.
Please use plain text.
Message 18 of 34 (1 View)
I Only Post Everything
1045 posts

Dec 7, 2009

Koolmoteezie wrote:
Gotta agree with the OP in the European Forum. The people who like playing "house" and enjoy playing a stripped down version of Sims love Home right now as is, and don't see what all the fuss is about. It's not a coincidence that most of the girls on this forum can't understand what's wrong with having an application that primarily allows you to play dress up and talk all day. Its easy to be patient when you're already having the time of your life mixing and matching clothes and then talking to your friends about it for an hour or two. Those of us who are looking for an actual use for this App outside of the aforementioned reasons are wondering what happened to the promises that were made in '07 regarding this service.

Kudos, couldn't have said it better, again.

Photobucket
Please use plain text.
Message 19 of 34 (1 View)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
118 posts

Dec 7, 2009
Kools kinda nailed it.  Its basically barbie chat with a gamer theme.  Without realtime multiplayer Home will never be able to function as a game platform.  Turnbased gaming is good enough for barbie chat land but like most guys I want a little more.
Please use plain text.
Message 20 of 34 (1 View)
0 Likes