Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Lombax Warrior
219 posts

Re: People - Try Not To Get Banned

Dec 12, 2008

BakeNasty wrote:
I don't think that use of the word F@*#,  should be takin into offense unless their useing it to agrue with you or stereotyping someone, etc.  If ur talkin to some one and they said..."I went to the F*@#ing store the other day" .....so what we all have different upbringings and cultures.  I'm guilty of droppin the F-Bomb in sentences, but not  towards racism or hate.  Had some guy the ohter day tell me he was very into church,  and didnt like the language.  Hey thats to each is own,  your belief.  I don't knock that .  If you curse online or in your life that dont make you a bad person.  I think people should only be reported if the use the curse words in terms of slander, rascism, disrespect towards a person, or hate comments.   You cant start banninng everyone everytime you hear someone say F@#*,   use judgement not just because you dont like curse words.  Don't be so sensitive and emotional.   I like all people....white, black, brown, yellow, whatever.  Ban someone everytime they curse and you won't have much a online community.  I bet 85 to90% of the people on PSN curse.  Especially talkin to their friends.   The worlds not perfect, and neither in anyone on this planet.

On the subject of foul language.... I agree it's far from being like a racist or hatred thing but rememebr that SONY is trying to make this a 13+ environment so think of it like swearing out loud while in a theater of kids watching a Disney (PG) movie....

Evil- maybe not

Cool- not so much...

"Fear the Shade that walks....."
Message 31 of 145 (33 Views)
Survivor
2759 posts

Dec 12, 2008

Raptor1024 wrote:

I agree up to a point, until you make it a point to go around looking to be insulted basically. Going out of your way to find people who offend you. No wonder you don't have a good experience. I got news for you thats life people get offended. Im not saying its ok for people to insult or harass others. Im just saying it sounds like you are trying to get anyone band who looks at you wrong. And thats just not cool.

Recap- Im all for a nice safe enjoyable home experience. But sometimes you take the good with bad. Stop trying to seek out these people and enjoy your experience. If you come across someone that deserves a report then report them.

Advice for everyone try to have a thicker skin and not let people over the internet bother you so much.

Hmmm, I don't know if that's what he was really trying to say. I would think that if he's going about his business and someone bumps into him then he would report them. It would be silly if he's trying to be the HOME crusader. But I could be wrong to which I would have to agree with you if he's looking for trouble. 

MAzing87
Message 32 of 145 (33 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
47 posts

Dec 12, 2008

seniorfrito wrote:

Raptor1024 wrote:

I agree up to a point, until you make it a point to go around looking to be insulted basically. Going out of your way to find people who offend you. No wonder you don't have a good experience. I got news for you thats life people get offended. Im not saying its ok for people to insult or harass others. Im just saying it sounds like you are trying to get anyone band who looks at you wrong. And thats just not cool.

Recap- Im all for a nice safe enjoyable home experience. But sometimes you take the good with bad. Stop trying to seek out these people and enjoy your experience. If you come across someone that deserves a report then report them.

Advice for everyone try to have a thicker skin and not let people over the internet bother you so much.

lol no I definitely don't go hunting for it.  If it's just in my area though, I report it.  I go about my business doing whatever I want.  It just has it's way of finding me no matter what I do.

Yeah I know the feeling.

I was in Home for about a few minutes and got singled out because my character had dark skin. Not gonna say wat I was called, but Im sure you get the picture. Then others joined in.  It was like a Klan rally up in there.

I dont care if people curse as long as its not toward me.

Photobucket
Message 33 of 145 (33 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4357 posts

Dec 12, 2008

Shadewalker wrote:

BakeNasty wrote:
I don't think that use of the word F@*#,  should be takin into offense unless their useing it to agrue with you or stereotyping someone, etc.  If ur talkin to some one and they said..."I went to the F*@#ing store the other day" .....so what we all have different upbringings and cultures.  I'm guilty of droppin the F-Bomb in sentences, but not  towards racism or hate.  Had some guy the ohter day tell me he was very into church,  and didnt like the language.  Hey thats to each is own,  your belief.  I don't knock that .  If you curse online or in your life that dont make you a bad person.  I think people should only be reported if the use the curse words in terms of slander, rascism, disrespect towards a person, or hate comments.   You cant start banninng everyone everytime you hear someone say F@#*,   use judgement not just because you dont like curse words.  Don't be so sensitive and emotional.   I like all people....white, black, brown, yellow, whatever.  Ban someone everytime they curse and you won't have much a online community.  I bet 85 to90% of the people on PSN curse.  Especially talkin to their friends.   The worlds not perfect, and neither in anyone on this planet.

On the subject of foul language.... I agree it's far from being like a racist or hatred thing but rememebr that SONY is trying to make this a 13+ environment so think of it like swearing out loud while in a theater of kids watching a Disney (PG) movie....

Evil- maybe not

Cool- not so much...

You know honestly swearing is just unnecessary. Swear words don't really add anything to your sentence and you can easily make the same point with other (socially acceptable) words. 

Message 34 of 145 (33 Views)
Lombax Warrior
124 posts

Dec 12, 2008
There are a lot of good points here. The ignorant people should be reported but in most cases its probably just better to block them. There will always be some ignorant person screaming obscenities and this is why I think Home should be for 17+ ages. If I had a child, I would not want him or her to be subjected to such ignorance.
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket
Message 35 of 145 (33 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
265 posts

Dec 12, 2008

AssassinHD wrote:

ReBootU wrote:
you should learn to block first then ban later or your going to abuse the ban system and overload those in charge with 10 thousand ban requests just because you "overheard" someone cursing or whatever. If it is not personally directed at you or someone that you are in conversation with then you should just block them. It will stop the word bubble and their voice transmission. Problem solved... kinda like turning the channel when something offends you on TV. Their are stupid people everywhere and somehow, sometime or the other they will make their way into HOME. The trash talking will only get worse before it gets better/ After awhile SONY mods will catch up with them and kick them out. Now offensive names are another story, if is actually an abuse of the name system then I would report it.

It is not the users to decide to ban. Users report and then a Sony official reviews the report, determines if it is legitimate, and then determines the appropriate course of action. 

no duh... been here since june 2007, think I know how it works. What I said was basically learn to block before wasting a report to ban through SONY.  They have enough on their plate right now instead of adding every Tom, **bleep** and Harry's reports about someone near then that said a freakin curse word.
Message 36 of 145 (33 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
613 posts

Dec 12, 2008

ReBootU wrote:
you should learn to block first then ban later or your going to abuse the ban system and overload those in charge with 10 thousand ban requests just because you "overheard" someone cursing or whatever. If it is not personally directed at you or someone that you are in conversation with then you should just block them. It will stop the word bubble and their voice transmission. Problem solved... kinda like turning the channel when something offends you on TV. Their are stupid people everywhere and somehow, sometime or the other they will make their way into HOME. The trash talking will only get worse before it gets better/ After awhile SONY mods will catch up with them and kick them out. Now offensive names are another story, if is actually an abuse of the name system then I would report it.

No no, ok guys.  Time out.  I don't go looking for something to get offended by.  I also don't report every person I see cursing.  It does actually take a lot for me to be offended.  Unfortunately some of the things are so bad that I just can't ignore it.  You can try to ignore it all you want, but if someone runs around spamming the f-bomb all over the place, it tends to touch a nerve.  The only time I have really reported so far was when people were just cluttering up the theater with sleeping with moms and racial abuse.  And that's putting it lightly.  That's the kind of thing that offends me.  Is when people talk about other people in your life that have nothing to do with the game.  Was it directed at me?  As far as I could tell no, but there is a time and a place for everything, why not keep it in the RL and joke around like that with your real friends.  Don't get on a game/social network virtual world, and start spouting that crap.

Message Edited by seniorfrito on 12-12-2008 09:35 AM
Message 37 of 145 (33 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2759 posts

Dec 12, 2008

SkR0tUmGrinD3R wrote:

MAzing87 wrote:

SkR0tUmGrinD3R wrote:

misfit36 wrote:
Let them get banned it will be better for all of us! I have seen some unacceptable names. My wife is Jewish and  sshe was watching me play and some guy ran by with the name Dumbjew or  hatejew..or something awful like that. Ughh

Why? Thats the problem with people. It's a name, it's the internet, and it's a game. Im jewish and hispanic. Nothing offends me cause I know it's probably some dumb kids. It's a lot different when you see things in the real world and what's said to your face.

That's the problem right there. So just because it's the internet, then it's acceptable? You can sit there and talk about how tough your skin is or words don't hurt you all you want. It doesn't make a difference if it was in the real world or internet. It's still wrong and unnecessary. There are plenty of people out there who are excited for HOME or gaming on the PS3, and more than likely don't expect to get exposed to that type garbage. You think if SONY had that same attitude as you, they would retain existing gamers or attract new gamers? It's one thing to have the right or freedom of speech, it's another thing to abuse or exploit it. It has nothing to do with people who are sensitive or offended. It has no place in gaming or any kind of social gathering. Nobody wants to hear that type of trash when they want to play games and have fun. Believe it or not, you need existing gamers and newer customers. The fact that it might be "some dumb kids," you oughta be concerned. Give me a damn break with that! 

Message Edited by MAzing87 on 12-12-2008 10:06 AM

Wow, I just think people tend to get too hissy about things. But I never said anything about it being acceptable.

When you say it's the internet so deal with it or learn to have thick skin, you are in fact accepting it. I have thick skin because none of those cowards put clothes on my back or sign my checks. But do I really want to hear garbage coming out of my speakers or headset? No. If your grandmother or someone you truly respect happen to be around while you're gaming or in HOME, and they thought that it looked cool and wanted to try it out, and they were the kind of people that weren't exposed to a lot of profanity or discrimination, would you give them the controller and/or headset while you're near some foul mouth rascist coward going off? Would you tell them to have thicker skin because it's just the internet?

MAzing87
Message 38 of 145 (33 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1450 posts

Dec 12, 2008

I somewhat agree with the OP, I will report users that are being offensive to me. If i see them being jerks to others, I usually go over and suggest to the person being offended that he/she report the offender, but i dont report. However... when I do this, the offender usually switches his offensive attention towards me... in turn earning him a nice report for his efforts.

Something that I may find offensive, might be ok to others, so why report something for someone else? That behavoir might not offend them at all...

I know at times i joke around w/ my friends... a passer by might interpret that as "misbehaviour", when it's really not...

I dunno... IMO, the entire Home Code of Ethics is a very blured and convoluted line. I'm sure Conduct is stipulated in the TOS, but the darn thing is soo long and written is such a technical language that many younger user's (and some older one i'm sure) can't fully comprehend it, I doubt too many ppl read it.

Maybe a solution is have a shorter "in layman's terms" document that we could be instructed to read and abide by that makes reference to the longer, more technical TOS. Not a starup screen obligation, cuz all we want is to do is get into "Home".. so we just click "I AGREE" and move on. Maybe have it posted as a poster around the area, or in your private areas... I dunno... just my thoughts at the moment.

PSN TAG
Message 39 of 145 (33 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4357 posts

Dec 12, 2008

ReBootU wrote:

AssassinHD wrote:

ReBootU wrote:

It is not the users to decide to ban. Users report and then a Sony official reviews the report, determines if it is legitimate, and then determines the appropriate course of action. 

no duh... been here since june 2007, think I know how it works. What I said was basically learn to block before wasting a report to ban through SONY.  They have enough on their plate right now instead of adding every Tom, **bleep** and Harry's reports about someone near then that said a freakin curse word.

Your time here has nothing to do with your ability to process conceptual information. Your position is against the people who report offenses and my position is against the people who commit the offenses. I am sure most people who file a report probaby block the person also. There is nothing wrong with reporting offenses. 

Message 40 of 145 (33 Views)