Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Wastelander
739 posts

Re: Pay-Per-Play MiniGames

Jun 25, 2010

Mermaid-KT wrote:

SealWyf wrote:

Well, I think the Carnival Midway space is an appropriate place for Sony to introduce this concept, if they do; that is exactly how real carnival midways work. Real midways aren't about playing games -- they are about winning prizes. (And, to some extent, showing off to one's companions, especially those of the opposite sex.) The player's assumption is that he will win the giant teddy bear for less than it would have cost to buy it. The carnival operator's assumption is that he will make a profit on the prizes from the game fees. The fact that midways are still in business shows whose assumptions are correct.

The thing that makes carny culture so much fun is that it hovers on the edge of dishonesty. The deceptively simple games, the barkers, the cheaply-made prizes, the fortune tellers, the sweet and greasy food, the hint of sexuality in the sideshow attractions -- a lot of us love it. If Sony can create this atmosphere in Home, we'll be all over it, and fill our apartments with giant virtual plushies.

I hope they have fortune tellers and a "believe-it-or-not" style side-show. And a roller coaster, preferably wooden and rickety. It's a pity we can't have virtual corn-dogs and cotton candy.

Seal

I too hope they have some of what you mentioned, but would you continue to pay to have a go at such things, be it a roller coaster or trying to throw hoops over targets?

In real life its understandable to pay to have a goes at these, but this is Home. Things like this should try to bring the community together, and to keep the space and games alive. Once you've won the 'giant teddy', what draw is there to play again? Even if you enjoy playing the game, its unlikely many will pay each time for the privelage.

I'm sure you realize I was being somewhat ironic in my original reply. I do love midways, boardwalks, county fairs, and carny culture. But I don't play the games. I go on rides, visit sideshows, eat too many corn-dogs and chocolate-dipped frozen bananas, toss popcorn to the seagulls, visit Tarot card readers, and prowl the gift shops for tacky souvenirs. The games are there to catch the rubes, or the teenage boys trying to impress their dates.

I doubt I would patronize pay-for-play games in Home either, unless the prize was something I really wanted and could get no other way, and I was sure the game was within my skill level. (I've long had to accept that I can't win at anything that requires ten-year-old-boy reflexes.) I just really want to experience carny culture without having to head to the beach.

That said, I  think pay-to-own content is the way to go. I've been getting a lot of pleasure from "Cabin Boy". I look forward to having my very own virtual pool table. If Sony wants to sell us music and video to stream in our private spaces, I would support that as well. But it should be a one-time payment, not a per-play fee. A flat monthly charge for unlimited play would work too, as it does for Netflix streaming content. You'll get more money out of me in the long run if I don't have to stop and think about whether to feed the meter.

Seal

Please use plain text.
Message 11 of 15 (25 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2733 posts

Jun 25, 2010

SealWyf wrote:

Mermaid-KT wrote:

SealWyf wrote:

Well, I think the Carnival Midway space is an appropriate place for Sony to introduce this concept, if they do; that is exactly how real carnival midways work. Real midways aren't about playing games -- they are about winning prizes. (And, to some extent, showing off to one's companions, especially those of the opposite sex.) The player's assumption is that he will win the giant teddy bear for less than it would have cost to buy it. The carnival operator's assumption is that he will make a profit on the prizes from the game fees. The fact that midways are still in business shows whose assumptions are correct.

The thing that makes carny culture so much fun is that it hovers on the edge of dishonesty. The deceptively simple games, the barkers, the cheaply-made prizes, the fortune tellers, the sweet and greasy food, the hint of sexuality in the sideshow attractions -- a lot of us love it. If Sony can create this atmosphere in Home, we'll be all over it, and fill our apartments with giant virtual plushies.

I hope they have fortune tellers and a "believe-it-or-not" style side-show. And a roller coaster, preferably wooden and rickety. It's a pity we can't have virtual corn-dogs and cotton candy.

Seal

I too hope they have some of what you mentioned, but would you continue to pay to have a go at such things, be it a roller coaster or trying to throw hoops over targets?

In real life its understandable to pay to have a goes at these, but this is Home. Things like this should try to bring the community together, and to keep the space and games alive. Once you've won the 'giant teddy', what draw is there to play again? Even if you enjoy playing the game, its unlikely many will pay each time for the privelage.

I'm sure you realize I was being somewhat ironic in my original reply. I do love midways, boardwalks, county fairs, and carny culture. But I don't play the games. I go on rides, visit sideshows, eat too many corn-dogs and chocolate-dipped frozen bananas, toss popcorn to the seagulls, visit Tarot card readers, and prowl the gift shops for tacky souvenirs. The games are there to catch the rubes, or the teenage boys trying to impress their dates.

I doubt I would patronize pay-for-play games in Home either, unless the prize was something I really wanted and could get no other way, and I was sure the game was within my skill level. (I've long had to accept that I can't win at anything that requires ten-year-old-boy reflexes.) I just really want to experience carny culture without having to head to the beach.

That said, I  think pay-to-own content is the way to go. I've been getting a lot of pleasure from "Cabin Boy". I look forward to having my very own virtual pool table. If Sony wants to sell us music and video to stream in our private spaces, I would support that as well. But it should be a one-time payment, not a per-play fee. A flat monthly charge for unlimited play would work too, as it does for Netflix streaming content. You'll get more money out of me in the long run if I don't have to stop and think about whether to feed the meter.

Seal

I totally agree with you, and have no issues paying for any of this. When the pool tables and poker tables are released I'll be camping outside the Mall to buy these, but pay-to-play... it really does not give me a very good feeling.

Please use plain text.
Message 12 of 15 (25 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
277 posts

Jun 25, 2010

Pay per play mini-games with prizes to be obtained?  That sounds like illegal gambling to me.  I mean, if people are paying for a chance to win something I'm pretty sure that falls under the definition of illegal gambling.

I want:
1. Use Home avatar as XMB avatar and on ID card.
2. Display trophies of choice on ID card, instead of most recently earned trophies.
3. Iron Man suit (preferably with separate helmet) for my Playstation Home avatar.

Please use plain text.
Message 13 of 15 (25 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
401 posts

Jun 25, 2010

I have to agree with everyone's opinions so far, that the pay-per-use minigame idea is a poor one that I would not support.  However, if the minigame has a "pay once to access" fee, that's a totally different story.  If I have to pay for each minigame in carnival each time, I'm not going to participate much, if at all.  However, if its a one time fee to play all the time (like buying the game at the Namco Arcade), I'd do that no problem.  If Home has to keep charging with expansion, I sure hope it goes the one time fee route over the pay-per-use option.

Photobucket
Please use plain text.
Message 14 of 15 (25 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1601 posts

Jun 25, 2010

If they do apply this on NA, they better be good :\. Not some cheap games. If it was like an itouch app (like those Mega jump game or doodle jump). I don't mind.

As long as the token price is reasonable.

100 token for 10$?

JOB: Electronic Arts QA Tester

Please use plain text.
Message 15 of 15 (25 Views)
0 Likes