Re: PS3 Home: User Made Videos – Machinima

Apr 28, 2010
Please use plain text.
Message 70 of 328 (144 Views)
Home Developer
331 posts

Apr 29, 2010

Hello Nitrate. I'm assuming you're starting from scratch so I'll list EVERYTHING you'll need for capturing video. This is what I recommend.

1. Capture Device: Dazzle Video Creator Plus HD (Runs about $80 at Best Buy)

2. Cables: Energizer S-video A / V Universal Cables (Walmart $19.99 or Best Buy)

3. Cables: (3) Y adapter / spliters (4.99 each at Radio Shack / Walmart / Best Buy)

4. Cables: Audio Cable ($5 - $10 just about anywhere)

5. Video Editing Program: Included with the DAZZLE is Pinnacle Studio 14. BUT I strongly recommend using SONY'S VEGAS MOIVE STUDIO PLATINUM 9.0. It's a powerful program loaded with all the tools you'll need including Green Screen Special Effects (which is very important to me) and it produces great looking videos. VEGAS runs about $85.00 (Well worth the investment) which you can download online. (you can even take a test drive for like 30 days with full features)

For anyone who has limited funds:  (ABOUT THE COST OF VIDEO GAME)

1. Capture Device: EasyCAP Video Adapter ( E-bay less than $10) Here's a clip I recorded with EasyCAP.

2. Cables: Energizer S-video A / V Universal Cables (Walmart $19.99 or Best Buy)

3. Cables: (3) Y adapter / spliters (4.99 each at Radio Shack / Walmart / Best Buy)

4. Cables: Audio Cable - Pull it from your fathers ancient stereo system (free)

5. Video Editing Program: Windows Movie Maker. (free)

MAKE SURE YOUR OPERATING SYSTEM WORKS WITH THE PROGRAMS I LISTED. I RUN WINDOWS XP.

ONCE YOU'RE UP AND RUNNING - COME OVER TO PSTALENT.COM AND PRODUCE VIDEOS WITH ME

PST
Please use plain text.
Message 71 of 328 (144 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4099 posts

Apr 29, 2010

Thanks DOD! 
Just a couple questions regarding your recommendations.  Item #2 is for only S-Video.  Wouldn't it be better to use a video capture card with HMDI or at least component inputs?  Also, Item #3 links to a composite cable, which is limited to very poor sandard def video. 

Sony's PlayStation Home updated mission statement...

"Like it never happened"

- Stand for something better than mediocrity and don't disguise it as adequate, when clearly it is far from that to anyone willing to be objective and unbiased. -

Please use plain text.
Message 72 of 328 (144 Views)
0 Likes
Home Developer
331 posts

Apr 29, 2010

To capture in true High Definition, you'll need a gazillion bytes of space. You're talking a pro system. Avid has a capture card that runs about $5999.00. I don't capture in HD, I use S-Video. I output the "FORMAT" in HD measurements but it's actually not HD.

The cables I listed are for Audio. Not Video. When you run the cables from your PS3, the S-Video plugs into your computer, the yellow composite into your TV monitor. Then, you need to split the audio signal. R and L audio to your computer and then your computer. That's where the cable comes in. ( You don't really need the 3rd Y cable ... I use it so it give me a bit of slack)

Sounds confusing. LOL

PST
Please use plain text.
Message 73 of 328 (144 Views)
0 Likes
Home Developer
331 posts

Apr 29, 2010

Sorry for the late reply. YES. THE CHRONICLES OF SHADOWS is currently in production. 

Shadows

PST
Please use plain text.
Message 74 of 328 (144 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
19 posts

May 2, 2010

ok so, director if recording in s-video, and you output that to HD using windows movie maker does that improve the quality of the video? or does it even with composite?

Please use plain text.
Message 75 of 328 (144 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
19 posts

May 2, 2010
Please use plain text.
Message 76 of 328 (144 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
29005 posts

May 3, 2010

DIRECTOR_ON_DUTY wrote:

Sorry for the late reply. YES. THE CHRONICLES OF SHADOWS is currently in production. 

The filming at the courthouse yesterday was awesome. It was so interesting to see how these productions are done. I just loved the set. Wishing you the best with this film. It should be a lot of fun to watch when it's finished.

Joanna

Please use plain text.
Message 77 of 328 (144 Views)
0 Likes
Home Developer
331 posts

May 5, 2010
Joanna ... I don't know where you've been hiding but you are pure natural talent! ~ DOD
PST
Please use plain text.
Message 78 of 328 (144 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
19 posts

May 5, 2010

ok so, director if recording in s-video, and you output that to HD using windows movie maker does that improve the quality of the video? or does it even with composite?

Please use plain text.
Message 79 of 328 (144 Views)
0 Likes