Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Welcoming Committee
4010 posts

Re: PS Home Creeps

[ Edited ]
Jan 5, 2014

Aeryn_James wrote:
I once answered my front door while Homing. Upon the visitors departure, I sat back down on my couch, and in doing so sat on the corner of my controller causing my avatar to hurl into a random avatar posing near the Aurora chase game.

The avatar operators reaction was quite strong. She called me a pervert and typed "reported".

Now if I had sat on the controller intentionally, I could understand her point.

I pm'd her a brief explanation. I received no reply.

MemeCenter_1388953688500_293.jpg

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Please use plain text.
Message 61 of 111 (439 Views)
Fender Bender
3508 posts

Jan 5, 2014
That's a definte lol.
From the mobileverse.
Please use plain text.
Message 62 of 111 (435 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3508 posts

Jan 5, 2014
But all lol'ing aside, there is an issue of harassment on Home, just as there is with the rest of the internet and the real world.

I mean not to belittle that. I just don't think Home snapshots play a critical role in the social malady that underlays the OP's sentiment.

The snapshot red herring undermines a serious issue.
From the mobileverse.
Please use plain text.
Message 63 of 111 (430 Views)
Welcoming Committee
4010 posts

Jan 5, 2014

Aeryn_James wrote:
But all lol'ing aside, there is an issue of harassment on Home, just as there is with the rest of the internet and the real world.

I mean not to belittle that. I just don't think Home snapshots play a critical role in the social malady that underlays the OP's sentiment.

The snapshot red herring undermines a serious issue.

Agreed. I just wanted to show the other side of this so-called harrassment.

Please use plain text.
Message 64 of 111 (427 Views)
Treasure Hunter
8639 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 5, 2014

smokingpistol wrote:
How exactly would removing the text above our 'avatart' solve anything related to this issue King? You can already hide your nametag by going into your settings if you so choose...

No, I know you can hide your nick from your self.  But, I'm talking about the text that pops up when you take a pic in Home.  What does it say?  "Is taking a picture" or "taking a pictures" something like that.

[edit]

Found it!  It says "Taking pictures"

Folding@home Team #118000
GAPHome

General

Please use plain text.
Message 65 of 111 (421 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
10 posts

Jan 6, 2014

King, this is an excerpt from "Effects of VIrtual Worlds". So read: 

"After game play was over, these effects lingered on into real life. This is evidence that avatars can deeply psychologically affect us and perhaps even alter our personalities." 

So even though it's a virtual world, the people in it are very real. Anything you do can have signaificant and lasting consequences. A good behavior rule to follow is that if you wouldn't do it in real life, then don't do it on Home.

Please use plain text.
Message 66 of 111 (398 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
277 posts

Jan 6, 2014
Your pop-ups are only invisible to you when turned off! Everyone else can still see it, lol!
SmokyBonz
Please use plain text.
Message 67 of 111 (386 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1304 posts

Jan 6, 2014

Synkari wrote:

"After game play was over, these effects lingered on into real life. This is evidence that avatars can deeply psychologically affect us and perhaps even alter our personalities." 

So even though it's a virtual world, the people in it are very real. Anything you do can have signaificant and lasting consequences. A good behavior rule to follow is that if you wouldn't do it in real life, then don't do it on Home.

I had no idea of the harsh realities of internet "bullying".  All this time I've been obsessing about problems like men in southeastern Asia being executed by their government for being able to read (or wearing eyeglasses) or women in the Middle East having their bodies mutilated for staring in the direction of a male who isn't morbidly obese/old. Wow, you've really opened up my eyes, man.

Someone should really tell those people living in the third-world countries to really suck it up and stop whining. The people in the comfortable, developed nations have bigger problems to deal with..like the "psychological consequental effects" of trolls over the internet.

We sure have it hard, guys ... Now if you'll excuse me. I have to put my feet up in on my ottoman in my warm house (thats electric powered) and eat some FDA-inspected (thank god, I'm not eating poison) cookies while using a computer that can access the internet whilst being able to read and safe from people trying to kill me and take my belongings due to the police force in my town. Y'know.. the  same things that apparently all people have around the world..

Islamabad children near their decimated house

I'm sure these kids are worried about trolls making fun of their house being destroyed on the internet right now

"Do you remember what today is , Jack?"
Please use plain text.
Message 68 of 111 (369 Views)
Gaming Beast
1732 posts

Jan 6, 2014

LightningEmotion wrote:

Synkari wrote:

I had no idea of the harsh realities of internet "bullying".  All this time I've been obsessing about problems like men in southeastern Asia being executed by their government for being able to read (or wearing eyeglasses) or women in the Middle East having their bodies mutilated for staring in the direction of a male who isn't morbidly obese/old. Wow, you've really opened up my eyes, man.

Someone should really tell those people living in the third-world countries to really suck it up and stop whining. The people in the comfortable, developed nations have bigger problems to deal with..like the "psychological consequental effects" of trolls over the internet.

We sure have it hard, guys ... Now if you'll excuse me. I have to put my feet up in on my ottoman in my warm house (thats electric powered) and eat some FDA-inspected (thank god, I'm not eating poison) cookies while using a computer that can access the internet whilst being able to read and safe from people trying to kill me and take my belongings due to the police force in my town. Y'know.. the  same things that apparently all people have around the world..

Islamabad children near their decimated house

I'm sure these kids are worried about trolls making fun of their house being destroyed on the internet right now

That's some heavy duty sarcasm right there but you do have a point.

Please use plain text.
Message 69 of 111 (357 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8639 posts

Jan 6, 2014

Synkari wrote:

Yea, but what are you trying to make an argument over?  That people should get banned from Home for taken pictures of other users?  That it's some kind of harassment?  That is what we are all talking about here this "girl" got some "guy" to take a picture of "her" and shes upset about it calling him a "Creep".

Now if someone took a pic of me in the real world is that going to psychologically affect me?  My best friend is going back to College right now and her Professor asked her to go around and take pictures of people with out there knowledge as a homework assignment.  Why is that OK but people taken pictures in Home not ok?

I'm also not blameing the OP I've made it clear that this is Sonys falt.  That text over your head letting people know that your taken pictures and that clicking sound is creepey.  The real sad part is that was part of an update years ago.  Why do people need to that your taken pictures in Home Sony?  It's creeping people out!

Folding@home Team #118000
GAPHome

General

Please use plain text.
Message 70 of 111 (319 Views)
0 Likes