Nov 04 2013
By: murphdawg1 Survivor 2739 posts

PS 4 All access event in Home

22 replies 693 views Edited Nov 4, 2013

Think Sony will stream the PS 4 All Access event into Home on 11/14 as we all get ready for the launch of the Playstation 4. If you're not standing in line somewhere trying to get a PS 4 will you watch the event whether it be on tv or in PS Home?

Message 1 of 23 (693 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
16 posts

Re: PS 4 All access event in Home

Nov 4, 2013
With no Home on PS4, no ability to play my CDs, a few other reasons I can't recall right now 'cos I'm tired, loss of PS3 digital store purchases, and charging to go online (which I probs wouldn't mind if I didn't already subscribe to DCUO), I highly doubt I'll bother, unfortunately. Most of what the PS4 has to offer isn't going to outshine what my PS3 Super Slim already does.
Message 2 of 23 (664 Views)
Survivor
2739 posts

Nov 5, 2013

S-O-R_SandW wrote:
With no Home on PS4, no ability to play my CDs, a few other reasons I can't recall right now 'cos I'm tired, loss of PS3 digital store purchases, and charging to go online (which I probs wouldn't mind if I didn't already subscribe to DCUO), I highly doubt I'll bother, unfortunately. Most of what the PS4 has to offer isn't going to outshine what my PS3 Super Slim already does.

You are aware that the PS 3 and PS 4 have totally different architectures right? So if you bought games on the PS Store for your PS 3 they were developed for that system and wouldn't work on your PS 4. Now Gaikai will be coming sometime next year where you'll be able to stream games to your PS 4.

Message 3 of 23 (652 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2039 posts

Nov 5, 2013
Furthermore, Shuhei Yoshida announced in a tweet a while back, that the PS4 WOULD support MP3's and DLNA in a firmware update, before the end of this year. CD playback and external HDD support will also be added at a later date, as well.

If people would just WAIT and be a little patient, they would find that the PS4 will be able to do everything the PS3 can do....eventually. Gaikai will be streaming older PS3, PS2 and PS1 titles to the PS4, next year as well.
I'm A Shadow. One That No Light Will Shine On. As Long As You Follow Me....You Will Never See The Day.
Message 4 of 23 (600 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5016 posts

Nov 5, 2013

Streaming Games, Worse idea yet... We have to pay for those and we wouldn't even own those games.... Now if they were on our HDD like they are on PS3 that would be better... But Streaming Games PASS!!!

SHAME on SONY for making us HOMEless by Closing our PS HOME!
Message 5 of 23 (590 Views)
Survivor
2039 posts

Nov 5, 2013
I agree. Not the best idea, from Sony. But I guess this is what they're giving us, since they excluded the CELL chip from the PS4 that wouldve emulated PS3 games.

Personally, for me...once I get my PS4 next week, Im done with PS3 games anyway. I mean...I'll still probably grind on some GTA for a few more months but for the most part, Im done man. Time to move on to bigger and better things. Im sure later on down the road, they'll remaster a bunch of older PS3 titles in full 1080p and slap an "HD Collection" banner on em for PS4 but I cant see many older titles that I will even want to stream from Gaikai, to be honest. I'd much rather see Sony announce Home for PS4 than see full emulated backwards compatibility.

But hey...thats just me. To each their own. ^_^
I'm A Shadow. One That No Light Will Shine On. As Long As You Follow Me....You Will Never See The Day.
Message 6 of 23 (556 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
3048 posts

Nov 5, 2013

:^/ For me the trouble with streaming games from a server is bandwidth and lag. An Internet connection as fast as local hard drive access would be insanely expensive. No thanks, we're on DSL here, and it's plenty enough for everything we do. I'll keep my PS3 for PS3 stuff, and limit my PS4 to PS4 stuff. No streaming required that way.

Message 7 of 23 (504 Views)
I Only Post Everything
530 posts

[ Edited ]
Nov 5, 2013

I won't be getting a PS4 for these reasons:

A) I have, right now, 4 consoles hooked up--two of which are Sony and two of which are Nintendo. I still have the PS2 because the majority of my game collection is PS2 games (well, I probably have more PSX games, but I can emulate those on my laptop or play them on any of the Sony consoles so far)--and the slim PS3 doesn't have backward compatibility, even though with the PS3 hardware even software emulation of these games would be possible (I can almost emulate PS2 games on my laptop, but my hardware makes for very stuttered gameplay). I'm am very tired of having all these consoles. Having a PS4 would just make one more system that I don't have room for. And no, I am NOT paying for an online subscription and I am NOT rebuying all of my PS2/PS3 games just so I can play them on my mediocre internet connection. Just... NO.

B) Home may or may not be coming to the new system. I see no reason to extrapolate. This speaks for itself.

C) First Gen machines are terrible. They burn up. Or have some kind of fatal flaw or glitch. I never buy First Gen machines, so I wouldn't be buying one on Release Day anyway, even if I planned on getting one.

I spend a lot of money on Home, and if it was ported over, I would no doubt eventually buy the new system just to keep enjoying this service. But Sony has forgotten that their main consumer base is NOT CHILDREN. Children do not have jobs and have no money. They might be able to sucker their parents into buying a system, but how many are going to pay a subscription? The only ones who are going to do this are the ones with enough disposable income to shell out for yet another entertainment service, or the Hardcore Gamers who will pretty much shell out for anything just for the sake of Gaming.

But most gamers I know (including myself) don't discard their games after they are done. Most like to play them again. And again. It's rediculous to expect Sony's customers to do that. Or to force them to re-buy these games, just to get them on the new system. It's all software. Made to be compatible with Sony systems. If the PS4 is all that it's touted to be as far as graphics are concerned, then software emulation of these games should be possible and made readily available. At the VERY LEAST PS2 and PSX games, because by now this should be well within the capabilities of a system which is basically a HDD and a dedicated graphics card.

For those of you who get the PS4, I hope it is all you expected and more. But until Sony can engineer a better solution for playing our beloved older games besides forcing new formats on us every time, I won't be buying another system. ESPECIALLY if there's no Home.

Club: Nachtmere
Message 8 of 23 (493 Views)
First Son
16 posts

Nov 5, 2013
Yes I know that, but, I still have like eighty odd PS3 games on an actual physical disc as well that I play, and my PS2 plugged in as well, and my Sky box and well, there just isn't room for a new console. A console which still won't be giving me more than what I already have my PS3 doing, like I said in my initial comment. I've looked at all the specs and everything but so far I'm only a bit impressed, but still not enough to warrant a new console.

I may get a PS4, but I just can't afford the PS Plus (which I would only get to play online), as I have other subscriptions I pay for every month; along with a teen who has his own PS3 as well. So I'll be sticking to my PS3 for a long time. I'm quite happy with it and in no rush to get a PS4.

About the PS Plus sub. It really would be a waste for me to get it as I'd probably then get trapped into playing the freebies every month (in order to get my money's worth), and then I'd have time for nothing else. And I'm seriously not going to get it just to be able to play online (not when it's free on my PS3). Maybe if there was a separate cheaper sub just for online play then yeah I would, but then I still haven't got the cash for a PS4. And my PS3 Super Slim is practically like brand new.

But still, no Home! So pointless getting a PS4 and losing out on money when I'll be on my PS3 daily still for Home and everything else.
Message 9 of 23 (486 Views)
Survivor
2039 posts

Nov 5, 2013
Quick question:

What are you guys gonna do when Sony decides to discontinue support for the PS3? You may have another 3-5 years left in the PS3 but face it...sooner or later, it's gonna be discontinued...and so will Home. Are you gonna just stop being a gamer, just cuz you dont like a few petty things about the PS4? Will you jump ship to Xbox or Nintendo...or even PC?

Everything evolves. Even our consoles. You can choose to evolve with them, into each new generation of gaming....or get left behind. Something to consider...
Message 10 of 23 (454 Views)