Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Nov 29 2012
By: MysticMur Fender Bender 1513 posts

OrbRunner: What Is The New Max Score?

[ Edited ]
85 replies 773 views Edited Feb 17, 2013

*02/17/2013 - updated High Score Club list.

I've been obsessed with Orb running, since first finding Home in Dec 2011. But like many of you, I am often frustrated by not being able to score very well. After months of Orb Running, I was lucky to hit 1400, 1500, and then finally 1600 as a personal best. Then I found this thread authored by Digitman3' OrbRunner Course, which helped me tremendously. After reading Digitman3's tips and advice, I started to break 1600 consistently even scoring 1700 or more sometimes. But still the scores on the Leaderboard baffled me. Digitman3 and other OrbRunners consistently made the Leaderboard night after night. How did some OrbRunners consistently score 1900 or more? 

In Digitman3's OrbRunner Course thread, he noted that the top score possible was 2255. The reigning world champion was Playday4 who scored an impressive 2175, never to be beaten under the old OrbRunner layout. Finally, totally frustrated I reached out to Digitman3 to sign up for his OrbRunner course. During his class, I learned, that each island had a set maximum number of orbs obtainable and even the field had a set number for the max score mentioned above of 2255. After his class, I consistently hit 1800 or more in OrbRunning, eventually hitting an all time personal best of 1965. Occasionally my name even remained on the Leaderboard, till the reset the next evening. Past updates provided changes to the layout and even islands. But the max score and island max points possible, stayed static.

With the recent 1.65 update to my beloved Aurora, there have been numerous changes.  But for many of us, the most notable is THE ORBRUNNER game. Besides the loss of Penguini Island, there has been some vast changes to the layout and point system. Just how high is high for the new maximum score possible? Who knows, but last night I witnessed some of the past Leaderboard Orbrunners post new records trying to find out. For me, I finally beat my goal to score over 2000 with a respectable 2045. Feeling very proud of myself and fully expecting to remain on the Leaderboard, I was amazed to see the new scores posted. Drat, thwarted again of reigning supreme on the OrbRunner Leaderboard. A personal high for xDean-3x or Digitman3, posted last night was 2495. A new Orbrunner record! 

orbhigh_1.65.jpg

The questions for all of us avid OrbRunners, is how high is high? Is there any pattern in the new, seemingly random orb patterns emerging under the new layout? Who stole Penquini island? And when will MysticMur finally beat Digitman3, at his beloved OrbRunner game? Will Digitman3 offer a new class to address the changes and layouts of Aurora 1.65 OrbRunner game? For now, we are left mystified by this new development and can only go forward as the truly obsessed Orb running clan that we have become. A brotherhood and sisterhood of avatars, gallantly chasing colored Orbs for the honor of our name in lights on the Aurora OrbRunner Leaderboard. We boldly run where no other Orb Runner has ever gone, chasing that illusive high score of which we know not.

High Score Clubs : added 12/28/2012 (If you belong to one of these clubs, please send me a PM and I will add you. Photo proof is appreciated.)

2600 Club

myalana - 2695

Lara_Groft - 2695

playday4 - 2690

Morel_Hunter - 2620

HIKI-KAKUGANE - 2610

2700 Club

xDigitman3x - 2740

brongade - 2730

Phoebe_Witch - 2710

Sloth_Joe - 2705

2800 Club

bigDEE_1961 - 2850

Posted Image
Message 1 of 86 (773 Views)
First Son
4 posts

Re: OrbRunner: What Is The New Max Score?

[ Edited ]
Nov 29, 2012

Hey!  That's me up there.  Did I do something wrong?  All I did was run around collecting orbs.  They were everywhere!  :smileyhappy:  Dean

Edit:  Sorry, using a black background and wrong font color.  :smileyindifferent:

Message 2 of 86 (766 Views)
PlayStation MVP
29221 posts

[ Edited ]
Nov 29, 2012

xDean-3x wrote:

Hey!  That's me up there.  Did I do something wrong?  All I did was run around collecting Orbs.  They were everywhere!  :smileyhappy:  DG

Scroll down to the very bottom of the list Dean. That's where I am! :smileyhappy:

Message 3 of 86 (755 Views)
Survivor
1442 posts

Nov 29, 2012

xDean-3x wrote:

Hey!  That's me up there.  Did I do something wrong?  All I did was run around collecting Orbs.  They were everywhere!  :smileyhappy:  DG

Nice going noob.  Beginners luck no doubt.  :smileyindifferent: 

Yes Mur, quite a drastic change with this latest update.  I think it'll take a bit getting used to.  Nice to see Penguini Island is gone. 

All those orbs are a little overwhelming, but if you map out a course to run, ending at a transporter or launch point, you can do quite well.  My guess is there's 2700 possible points, as I that guy above still had about 200 he didn't pick up when he ran out of time. 

They do appear in a random fashion though.  On Launch Island I've seen 650 possible points several times, instead of the usual 400.  On Xi Island, I've seen as many as 200, up from 100.  So I'm wondering if the same max amount of points are out there everytime, but in random locations each game.  The field is literally saturated with orbs, often making it difficult to decide where to go.  I think this will prove to be the most crucial part of the game, the route that one chooses when running the field.

I have a few ideas to try out about determining actual max points each game we can run through later.  See you at Aurora.  Oh, nice pic btw.  :smileyhappy:  Dean

Posted Image
Message 4 of 86 (746 Views)
Fender Bender
1513 posts

Nov 29, 2012

Digitman3 wrote:

xDean-3x wrote:

Nice going noob.  Beginners luck no doubt.  :smileyindifferent: 

Yes Mur, quite a drastic change with this latest update.  I think it'll take a bit getting used to.  Nice to see Penguini Island is gone. 

All those orbs are a little overwhelming, but if you map out a course to run, ending at a transporter or launch point, you can do quite well.  My guess is there's 2700 possible points, as I that guy above still had about 200 he didn't pick up when he ran out of time. 

They do appear in a random fashion though.  On Launch Island I've seen 650 possible points several times, instead of the usual 400.  On Xi Island, I've seen as many as 200, up from 100.  So I'm wondering if the same max amount of points are out there everytime, but in random locations each game.  The field is literally saturated with orbs, often making it difficult to decide where to go.  I think this will prove to be the most crucial part of the game, the route that one chooses when running the field.

I have a few ideas to try out about determining actual max points each game we can run through later.  See you at Aurora.  Oh, nice pic btw.  :smileyhappy:  Dean

Among the chaos of randomness, there might actually be a system? So by your premises, we should look for the field layout and launch island points to dictate whether to continue the run or start over? A new class will help many of us. For those of you that have not run Orbs recently; definitely check it out. The new layout makes it fun again and easier to score.

Posted Image
Message 5 of 86 (731 Views)
Survivor
1442 posts

Nov 29, 2012

No, I don't think there is any type of system, or pattern, except that there may be the same amount of points in every game, just in different locations.  As I said in my class thread, there were the same exact amount of points available in each location, every time.  Now they very, but I'm wondering if there's any type of consistency to the randomness.  For instance, if Launch Island has 650 points, instead of it's usual 400, are those extra 250 taken from the field each time, or from other areas?  If we can determine any type of pattern, which I doubt there is any, it'll help give a better idea how to run for a high score.  We can run through some tests later.  :smileyindifferent:  DG

Posted Image
Message 6 of 86 (720 Views)
nDreams Developer
514 posts

Nov 29, 2012

Nice to see people are enjoying the OrbRunner update...I haven't seen one person say they hate teh colour scheme or there are floating orbs they just can't get...Its refreshing :smileytongue:

So, here's a question for those of you who play OrbRunner. How wwould you like to see it evolve? Not much has changed since it's inception so, what can we do to change it up in the future? New types of good / evil Orbs? New Colour Scemes? new items that let you have even longer?

Let me know, be as crazy or off the wall as you like!

Joey 

nDreams Digital Product Manager

Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/ndreamers
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/joeydale13
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/ndreamers
Message 7 of 86 (716 Views)
Fender Bender
1513 posts

Nov 29, 2012

nDreams_Joey wrote:

Nice to see people are enjoying the OrbRunner update...I haven't seen one person say they hate teh colour scheme or there are floating orbs they just can't get...Its refreshing :smileytongue:

So, here's a question for those of you who play OrbRunner. How wwould you like to see it evolve? Not much has changed since it's inception so, what can we do to change it up in the future? New types of good / evil Orbs? New Colour Scemes? new items that let you have even longer?

Let me know, be as crazy or off the wall as you like!

Joey 

Joey, Thanks for dropping in on our discussion. I would love to see the new Locomotion features incorporated in the Orb Running Game. Imagine speeding up the Orb Running Game or The Ability to Fly when chasing Orbs. 

And for many of us, who have completed the game and reached level 100; we have longed for additional levels. What about OrbRunner masters with levels added to 200. This would be when you were allowed to use Locomotion items and reach islands floating above Aurora. Just thinking outside the box.

Appreciate you asking for our input,

Mur

Posted Image
Message 8 of 86 (702 Views)
Uncharted Territory
694 posts

Nov 29, 2012

What about adding orbs that could give you a brief boost of speed? Or a small amount of added time?

Message 9 of 86 (700 Views)
nDreams Developer
514 posts

Nov 29, 2012

New levels are something that I am pretty sure will happen :-)

nDreams Digital Product Manager

Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/ndreamers
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/joeydale13
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/ndreamers
Message 10 of 86 (695 Views)