Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Jun 01 2013
By: UltraPSX Wastelander 622 posts

Option to disable auto-storage, other suggestions

[ Edited ]
17 replies 649 views Edited Jun 2, 2013

Longtime Home users can relate - auto-storage kicks in unexpectedly, and a healthy portion of your items is now buried in storage. Perhaps Home testers and devs don't have enough items to encounter this on a daily basis, so it may not be obvious how it affects the community at large. I dread seeing the auto-storage notification so much that it even affects some of my purchase decisions on Home.

I'd like to see one of the following options:

1) Ability to disable auto-storage OR

2) An item counter so we know when auto-storage will kick in, and can organize ahead of time

Here's a few other suggestions that would make the wardrobe / inventory / furniture a better experience for me:

• Trash bin - Item not actually deleted, but a third layer of inventory system items can be moved to and from.
  • Ability to favorite items in storage (would help keep unwanted items near the bottom).
  • Options for smaller thumbnail text (reduce text scrolling), smaller thumbnails (see more items), or list view (choose by name and reduce load times)
  • More sort options, i.e. A-Z, or a search bar to find items by keyword
  • Ability to turn off transition effects (Lockwood gift machine is the worst offender, but should also help with regular inventory)
  • Personal spaces - some way to organize (i.e. buttons to "move to top" and favorite)

Does anyone have any other suggestions that would make inventory a smoother experience for them? Feel free to discuss.

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 18 (649 Views)
Welcoming Committee
4759 posts

Re: Option to disable auto-storage, other inventory suggestions?

Jun 1, 2013
Good idea but I doubt it will happen :smileysad:
Legendary_Vicki's SigLegendary_Vicki   Welcoming Committee v2.0   IamNinjaRabbit

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 18 (628 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1397 posts

Re: Option to disable auto-storage, other suggestions

Jun 1, 2013
I understand. I think though that any new item should always be in your primary items section when you receive it and it should bump an older item into storage. I also have an abundance of items and something that works for me is moving everything into storage and only restoring items that may work in any particular space when i decorate. Even though my storage section is bursting at the seams I have some idea of about how far something is down in my storage bin. I would also love to be able to search with a keyword. I have always thought that would be very helpful. Good luck with these suggestions.
Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 18 (573 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
164 posts

Jun 1, 2013

I agree with this topic, I think it would be great not even a trash area for storing unwanted items like the fossils but maybe a junk file. or now that we have things on server setting it up so that the regular storage is also unlimited.

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 18 (533 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1519 posts

Jun 1, 2013

The thing is, I think the storage section takes up a smaller memory footprint, and if all that stuff were in regular inventory, it would really slow down performance more than it already is. And for anyone like me, who has far more items in storage than in regular inventory, it would create an organizing nightmare. If the option existed, I would not use it without better organizing tools. I'm pretty sure Sony gave us storage because they didn't want to give us a delete option.

Regardless, I kinda doubt we will see any more significant core changes to PS3 Home. And if there is a PS4 Home, it will most likely be a different build altogether.

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 18 (512 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
622 posts

[ Edited ]
Jun 2, 2013

Brises_0000 wrote:

The thing is, I think the storage section takes up a smaller memory footprint, and if all that stuff were in regular inventory, it would really slow down performance more than it already is. And for anyone like me, who has far more items in storage than in regular inventory, it would create an organizing nightmare. If the option existed, I would not use it without better organizing tools. I'm pretty sure Sony gave us storage because they didn't want to give us a delete option.

Regardless, I kinda doubt we will see any more significant core changes to PS3 Home. And if there is a PS4 Home, it will most likely be a different build altogether.

I don't think that memory is reduced in storage because item for item, it seems to load at the same speed for me. But I never really considered that...

If I were to guess why auto-storage exists, is that they feel new users aren't aware of storage, so they need to do it for us. But I think once users are familiar with how storage works, they will appreciate the ability to turn off auto-storage and handle it themselves. If not, an indication of how full your inventory is would be helpful. For example, the furniture slot indicator they added much later helps a lot when decorating. Just do something similar for the various inventories.

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 18 (494 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
568 posts

Jun 1, 2013

yeah i always hate when i buy a bundle from granzella or something. open up wardrobe and get the auot storage message, them im left wondering what got sent away.

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 18 (486 Views)
Treasure Hunter
4131 posts

Jun 2, 2013

Brises_0000 wrote:

Except this would not be an issue if they had a 2nd storage level (OP called it trash, others have called it "Deep Storage") such that we would have a storage folder that ONLY has items in it that we manually place in it that we really rarely if ever use.  Instead, we have a storage folder that is a spillover that automatically moves items we still use into storage, making it VERY difficult and time consuming trying to find things we still use.

Yes - we absolutely need a 2nd storage folder, and yes, we need to have the same sorting and filter options for items in storage as we have for item not in storage - and yes we need to be able to be able to filter by developer.

Unfortunately these are not new ideas, but not only has no one from Sony or our own Community Managers ever implemented these changes, but they wont even respond to the countless requests for them.

Sony's PlayStation Home updated mission statement...

"Like it never happened"

- Stand for something better than mediocrity and don't disguise it as adequate, when clearly it is far from that to anyone willing to be objective and unbiased. -

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 18 (448 Views)
Fender Bender
2879 posts

[ Edited ]
Jun 2, 2013

It would actually be nice, if we can't give unwanted things to other users, if sony had a buy back program( at reduced cost) so we can clear our inventories of mistake purchases, or older no longer needed items, with the option of changing our minds for 2 days( just incase it was a mistake to sell it), and only a one time buy back of " free" items, so that a person can't keep playing a game for rewards to turn it

Thanks Asuka424 for the Signature
Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 18 (297 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
1837 posts

Jun 2, 2013

I hate it when a machine make decision for myself. An indicator showing us how much space we have left in our "regular" storage like the one we have for furnitures slots would be really nice. At lest, let me choose what goes in storage.

co-founder
The Black Hat Squad/Black Hat Squadron/Novus Black Hats
Novus international elite force
Black Hats website
Black Hats on Facebook
Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 18 (129 Views)
0 Likes