Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Jun 13 2012
By: julie_love Fender Bender 2040 posts

On vacation

[ Edited ]
330 replies 715 views Edited Aug 12, 2012

It's that time of year and many of our regular participants are taking summer holidays over the next few weeks so the Meet & Greets are cancelled for the time being. Have a great summer everyone! Be nice to each other in Home!

How to add Welcome2Home to your friend list:

Go to the XMB menu (in Home hit the PS button), scroll all the way to the right to your friend list, then scroll up to Add a Friend. Hit enter and type the ID Welcome2Home. You'll then generate a message to Welcome2Home requesting that you be added as a friend. Once Welcome2Home accepts your friend request you'll be able to see that ID in your friend list and follow it to the location where we are meeting.

Hi Everyone!

What the Welcoming Committee Events are about:

These events are an opportunity for the Home Community to meet, socialize, have some fun and go out into public areas in Home and meet new users that might have questions or need assistance.

They are meant to be totally casual and informal events to make friends and socialize, come if you are free but don't feel like there is any pressure to attend every event.

We are very clear to say that we aren't Sony representatives at the events, but rather, we are a group of friends that like to go to Home public spaces a couple of times a week and look for new users that might need assistance.

What does the Committee do at the events?

The events are an opportunity for those new to Home to meet some friendly and helpful Home veterans learn about Home. At any given event we might:

• Give advice on how to make friends in Home.
  • Give Personal Space Tours
  • Make new friends and find out what's new on Home
  • Tell people about free items that are currently available in Home
  • Recommend games and fun activities in Home.
  • Give people places to go to find more information about Home.
  • Advise people to get a keyboard for their PS3 to make it easier to make friends and communicate.
  • Advise people to buy a few clothing items so that they aren't always dressed in default clothing.
  • Advise people on better ways to start a conversation other than using L1 phrases.

Great sources of information for new users in Home:

List of people offering personal space tours by Y2David.

Your Playstation Home is an excellent source of information on everything that is Home related including:

OK! Now that you've read and absorbed all of that info about Home please join us at the next Welcoming Committee Event!

mg12 

iwant you.jpg

Hope to see you at our Meet and Greets, and please do provide feedback and talk about your experiences assisting new users in this thread .

Message 258 of 331 (715 Views)
PlayStation MVP
4983 posts

Re: [Event] Adopt a New User - Meet and Greet - Saturday, September 10th

Sep 8, 2011

julie_love wrote:

Second, an this is the hard part for long time users with a lot of friends, it would be nice if some of the participants would be open to adding a new user they've met to their Friend List for an hour or two and showing them around Home a bit. Maybe show them a favorite personal space, or take them to places with fun games like Aurora or Sodium. This will have to be up to the individual of course, but there are a lot of veterans like Y2David that still do this regularly. Maybe he could provide us some tips on how he manages his Friend's List.

Hope to see you at our Meet and Greets, and please do provide feedback and talk about your experiences assisting new users in this thread .

Please add "The All Mighty" club to the sponsoring list

This is great thread concept julie, when you first told me about it.. I was very much sold on it..yes, this would be great as it will get those wanting to help join forces in helping new users get a good feedback on information instead of a none or negative.. I will let those others from UNITY know as well on this.

There has been many threads of people needing help, and people wanting to offer..this is one be of those we should acknowledge. a good example Banhidancer before she became an HCV had a wonderful thread for those Non-HCV who offered tours to those, it be nice to bring that thread back to light..

As for me managing those in my friends list as we get to have only 100, I do have those who are active, my list tends to be full at all times(most of times) thou with those sending me messages with what they need example "TOUR" I can always make some room for that person, We all can make room (I'm sure those will understand, when you want to do something nice such as what julie is implying) It can get hard at times as I would like to keep everyone on my list but I do have to make room for those who are needing a tour or something, Also one thing we have in the UNITY group is we incorporate the Friend Chain structure, as you have friends who have other club, etc.., by sending helpful chain messages to all your friends,(example events, free item, news, upcoming changes, etc..) they would also pass it out to the other ones, this makes a great way to communicate and keep those in touch (of course there is a large percentage of users who don't visit the forums or other PS Home related websites, so this would be ideal).

I do have to say we end up meeting new people on Home alot of the times, and this is definately one great way to have a bunch of us welcoming such individuals into the wonderful world of PSHome

Message 1 of 331 (715 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2040 posts

Re: [Event] Adopt a New User - Meet and Greet - Saturday, September 10th

Sep 10, 2011

Awesome! Thanks David. I'll see you at Namco Theater. I'm really looking forward to getting out there and helping some new users! I've added The All Mighty Club as a sponsoring organization .

Message 2 of 331 (715 Views)
Survivor
1445 posts

Re: [Event] Adopt a New User - Meet and Greet - Today! September 10th at Namco Theater

Sep 10, 2011

Hi Julie .  I'm stuck working today and probably won't be available till around 5 EST, but if you're still out and about, I'll look you up and help out too (as long as you don't make me dress weird).   DG

Posted Image
Message 3 of 331 (715 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2040 posts

Re: [Event] Adopt a New User - Meet and Greet - Today! September 10th at Namco Theater

Sep 10, 2011

Thanks to everyone that came out to help today! It was a very interesting experience and I had fun just mingling with friends and talking to new users. I found it to be a very positive experience.

We drew a crowd wherever we were and had a lot of people show interest in what we were doing. The most interesting response for me was also the most frequent.

A lot of people came up and asked us why we were out there talking to new users. Some long time Home users came over and thanked us for being out there. A few said that they had never seen anyone out in Home looking for new users that needed help and that it was great to see us there.

A few new users asked us why we were out helping people and answering questions because let's face it, a lot of people just don't talk to new users and it was kind of shocking to them to have people out actually looking for them and answering questions.

We gave a lot of advice on what to do in Home, where to find free items, and how to make friends. DarthGranny was there giving people advice on getting away from default clothing and suggesting to everyone that they buy a $10 keyboard. Y2David offered personal space tours and Keilyda gave advice on where to go to find free clothing items. Burbie52 steered people to the alphazone site to see a list of free items in Home.

Thanks to Y2David, PrincessVirginia, DaytonaPartyGirl, kwoman32, Keilyda, DarthGranny, JABM91, ann18, Burbie52 and RockStarBadBoy for helping out today. Also, thanks to those that stopped by and helped out for a while with questions. I didn't get all their names.

We've made this a weekly event and hope to be able to schedule these more frequently as we get more people participating.

Here are a couple of pictures I took today. We first landed near the spawn point by Harbour Studios in CP and hung out there for a while. DarthGranny said that she often goes to the first bench in the plaza and has good results meeting people so we moved there. DG was right, people tend to spawn and run off when they get to CP, but we met most of the new users and answered a lot of questions at the benches!

meetandgreet01.jpg

meetandgreet02.jpg

Message 4 of 331 (715 Views)
Fender Bender
2757 posts

Sep 10, 2011

I think this is a lovely idea Julie, I wish I had seen the post earlier as I would definitely been there to support this. I'll keep an eye on dates for the future and come and join in if I'm not busy.

Message 5 of 331 (715 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1405 posts

Sep 10, 2011

It's a great idea im glad it worked out so well...

one of the first times I tried to be nice to someone who said they were knew I spent time helping only for the guy to say he was having fun pretending to be a newbie in HOME...

Ahh... the memories of being in the Singstar VIP suite 

From a decision by Sony to move away from Community to focus on Competition...

To a forum that was on its way to repairing itself in a focus on Community.. now having trolls protected if they help generate site hits..

To the world of HOME being kept in the dark when so many developers have left already...

A concept focused on profits and Competition have another name in the world of Pro-Community- RIP!

May the trolls, drama makers and competitive personas find joy in Sony - I'll do like soo many others and just move on.

Kitty Pyra - Career and Online life ended officially 2014
Message 6 of 331 (715 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2284 posts

Sep 10, 2011

I just got a reply from NorseGamer!  He is going to run the announcement and give us as much publicity as possible in HomeStation Magazine to help us find more volunteers.  It would be wonderful if we could schedule this for every day in the week.  It was a really uplifting experience today.

Message 7 of 331 (715 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1277 posts

Sep 11, 2011

wish i could have helped but saturday is college football day for me but i would be glad to help any other day

Message 8 of 331 (715 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
4983 posts

Sep 11, 2011

julie_love wrote:

Thanks to everyone that came out to help today! It was a very interesting experience and I had fun just mingling with friends and talking to new users. I found it to be a very positive experience.

We drew a crowd wherever we were and had a lot of people show interest in what we were doing. The most interesting response for me was also the most frequent.

A lot of people came up and asked us why we were out there talking to new users. Some long time Home users came over and thanked us for being out there. A few said that they had never seen anyone out in Home looking for new users that needed help and that it was great to see us there.

A few new users asked us why we were out helping people and answering questions because let's face it, a lot of people just don't talk to new users and it was kind of shocking to them to have people out actually looking for them and answering questions.

We gave a lot of advice on what to do in Home, where to find free items, and how to make friends. DarthGranny was there giving people advice on getting away from default clothing and suggesting to everyone that they buy a $10 keyboard. Y2David offered personal space tours and Keilyda gave advice on where to go to find free clothing items. Burbie52 steered people to the alphazone site to see a list of free items in Home.

Thanks to Y2David, PrincessVirginia, DaytonaPartyGirl, kwoman32, Keilyda, DarthGranny, JABM91, ann18, Burbie52 and RockStarBadBoy for helping out today. Also, thanks to those that stopped by and helped out for a while with questions. I didn't get all their names.

We've made this a weekly event and hope to be able to schedule these more frequently as we get more people participating.

Here are a couple of pictures I took today. We first landed near the spawn point by Harbour Studios in CP and hung out there for a while. DarthGranny said that she often goes to the first bench in the plaza and has good results meeting people so we moved there. DG was right, people tend to spawn and run off when they get to CP, but we met most of the new users and answered a lot of questions at the benches!

It was nice as this was our first, I'm sure we will generate a larger Welcoming Committee as we keep doing this, I do like that we all sticking together, thou as Keara suggested maybe as we get bigger we can separate into different sections and start doing it more often that one or twice a week.

It was great seeing so many giving out advices, (this helps those who need) we do need to make it where we won't confuse a new user with so much information all at once.. but its well worth it and I'm glad to be a part of it, we should see a bigger group next time, don't matter if only for a couple minutes, if you can make it to help one person.. big props, and maybe later that person could return the favor and help someone else as well

Keilyda had freebie clothes on which inspired me to do the same when I come each times to these Meet & Greet event, It helps new user see how cool sum of these freebies are, why not show them. New usually don't go out and spend money on Home items at first, they usually wait till they get more acquainted with others on Home, some don't even spend a dime and come each week for them freebies, and still enjoy the ways of Home.

Anyways it awesome seeing such a great crowd yesterday, and julie_love thanks fer making this happen, till next time.

Message 9 of 331 (715 Views)
0 Likes