May 23 2013
By: Jersquall Limit Breaker 16565 posts

My stroll through (Home)

102 replies 1182 views Edited May 23, 2013

My stroll through Home

Everyone here has a story.

Years ago on a  mid- June morning I awoke to a phone call from my then girl friend asking me to go swimming while she babysat at her uncles house. it was a Hot day in the San Joaquin valley so I gathered my things and called my friend to go with and we went. We were young and crazy and before thinking it through decided to jump off the roof of the house into the pool.

I remember being up there and the dive and the next..  I felt a pain like electricty throughout my body. I was dazed and could only see kids splashing but I could not move. couldn't talk. couldn't breath. last thing I remembered was slowly sinking.. Rolling over to see the sparkling ripples on the surface of the water. fade to black.

I awoke 3 days later where I was in traction in the hospital.   I was told I had a partial cut of the spinal cord C-5,6 on the base of the neck. I was a Quadriplegic. They flew me to one of the best Spinal Cord Injury hospitals in California. Santa Clara Valley Medical Center. After 5 months of Occupational/Physical rehab I was released.

Video Games are just that. games. Not being able to move your fingers in a live or die virtual game situation sure puts things in perspective. But nothing was going to stop me. Thank you Sony, PS3!  I love games. I might suck at some but I still play.

When I heard about PlayStation Home while the_original_se and myself were still at GameShark I knew where I was going to spend much of my day and nights. I just didn't know at the time how many, lol?

"I can walk in Home'' was my message thread to those here who were my friends and a testimony to others who had disibilities to the awesomness of PlayStation Home.  I was apart of a very famous club early Home open beta called the Nameless Ones (N1's), Later co- created GamerIndepth with Narde15 and later  Co-created HomeInformer with Sophronia. I was the Podcast editor on our weekly podcast with Gamerindepth and later HomeStation mag. But my love was being the first HCV (Home Community Volunteer) As I had a hand in shaping the program from day one until I retired three plus years later.

I started helping others here in the Home forums coming up on 5 years ago come this August. Through it all I could Walk in the virtual world called Home. (My Home)

This week we saw the release of the Virtual WheelChair in Home. I am happy to say this this brings me full circle. As tears flow .. I think it's pretty **bleep** cool.

Now that you know my stroll through Home, enjoy my stroll through the park. it's been a great ride.

HomeStationMagazine
Message 1 of 103 (1,182 Views)
Survivor
1317 posts

Re: My stroll through (Home)

May 23, 2013

While sad, that was a wonderful and touching story jersquall, thank you so much for sharing with us :smileyhappy:

Message 2 of 103 (1,161 Views)
MVP Support
3805 posts

[ Edited ]
May 23, 2013

Wow!!  The old school sound in the beginning of the vid nice!  <hugs Jers>

Bambi-01us
Message 3 of 103 (1,140 Views)
Fender Bender
3003 posts

[ Edited ]
May 23, 2013

Sorry about what happened to you when you were younger Jers. It really puts things into prespective when you think about it. I don't get outside nearly enough as I should because I tend to play a lot of video games. And I've been like that for years. But I can still walk and run, even though running would make me run out of breath quickly due to the fact that I'm overweight and a smoker. But I really take my legs for granted considering that some out there aren't mobile at all and can't choose whether they want to be or not. I really admire you for the way you have a possitive out-look on life, where again too many of us take ourselves for granted. I wish you well my friend. :manhappy:

And after watching your video I realize now that since there are wheelchair LMOs, Acorn Meadows park a long with a whole lot of other public and personal spaces should now be required to include wheelchair ramps. :manwink:

bobs fed signature
Message 4 of 103 (1,096 Views)
PlayStation MVP
3764 posts

May 23, 2013

Thanks for sharing Jersquall! I have someone very close to me that is a Quadriplegic as well so I've seen how difficult that can be. Great video.

Message 5 of 103 (1,070 Views)
Limit Breaker
16565 posts

May 23, 2013

Everyone has or knows someone with disibilities. I would love to see some shared here. feel free. It's about us. also, Share Home with those who might need a place like Home. I mentioned before many others who use home as therapy. I met a deaf woman in home. she LOVED it! typed like she was talking to you and well.. She WAS! it was hard for her in real life public areas but not in home :smileyhappy:

HomeStationMagazine
Message 6 of 103 (1,040 Views)
PlayStation Community Manager
2875 posts

May 23, 2013

Wow, going from the Walk in Home to the new Stroll in Home is coming full circle. There has been some that feel these wheelchairs are offensive or a joke, but they certainly are not—and are appreciated by many. Thanks for making this video in homage to your previous one. You of all people are what have made this place special.

Message 7 of 103 (1,026 Views)
PlayStation MVP
6157 posts

May 23, 2013

Jersquall wrote:

Everyone has or knows someone with disibilities. I would love to see some shared here. feel free. It's about us. also, Share Home with those who might need a place like Home. I mentioned before many others who use home as therapy. I met a deaf woman in home. she LOVED it! typed like she was talking to you and well.. She WAS! it was hard for her in real life public areas but not in home :smileyhappy:

You know I have never thought of that.

You know what I love most about you, you never stop inspiring people.

Thank you

BannerFans.com
Message 8 of 103 (1,023 Views)
Limit Breaker
16565 posts

May 23, 2013

GlassWalls wrote:

Wow, going from the Walk in Home to the new Stroll in Home is coming full circle. There has been some that feel these wheelchairs are offensive or a joke, but they certainly are not—and are appreciated by many. Thanks for making this video in homage to your previous one. You of all people are what have made this place special.

Also, Home had previously in it's infancy taken a beating from the gaming sites. They just didn't get it. some of us got it. it has always been about the community. Shame they missed that.

HomeStationMagazine
Message 9 of 103 (1,014 Views)
Fender Bender
3003 posts

[ Edited ]
May 23, 2013

Jersquall wrote:

I actually do know someone who also got injured diving into a pool. He wasn't a close friend of mine or anything so I wasn't there when it happened. But when he dove in he hit his head at the bottom and got a severe head injury from it. A small portion of his brain had to be removed because it was injured so badly. I talked to him years later but he definetly wasn't the same guy I knew in highschool. The injury really took a toll on his motor skills and speech. When I was 10 I also did a cannonball into the shallow end of a pool and hit the back of my head. But all it did was gave me a nasty goose egg. Still it was enough to teach me a lesson. To this day I'm still scared about diving into a pool from what happened to me and that guy I knew. All I can do now is jump in feet first. I have played other online games with people who told me they were wheelchair bound as well. So it's definetly not uncommon.

bobs fed signature
Message 10 of 103 (1,012 Views)