Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Jan 10 2013
By: AbysmalDawna Survivor 1721 posts

LocoMotions With Companion Option

11 replies 193 views Edited Jan 10, 2013

Why cant we have the option to use a companion when we are using a locomotion item.  I invested in around 20 good pets but now rarely use them because I have locomotions.  It seems if they want us to buy stuff like this we should be able to use both at same time.

Message 1 of 12 (193 Views)
PlayStation MVP
2873 posts

Re: LocoMotions With Companion Option

Jan 10, 2013
:^/ For the same reason you cannot use all twenty companions at once. Inventory items use the same space in RAM, so you must choose which to use.

Consider the old cartridge-based videogames of yesteryear. Each was programmed to use the console's memory to run in. Each used the same memory, but it was okay because only one could be plugged in at a time.

;^) Now imagine someone complaining that he can't plug all of his game cartridges in at once and play them simultaneously. Well, that's what using multiple Inventory items at once would be like....
Message 2 of 12 (175 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
377 posts

Jan 10, 2013

I agree with you.

I have a similar thread called Mount / Dismount Option Wanted when it came to Maliki. First people to post couldn't take the idea seriously.

Message 3 of 12 (171 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
1721 posts

Jan 11, 2013

Danger_Dad wrote:
:^/ For the same reason you cannot use all twenty companions at once. Inventory items use the same space in RAM, so you must choose which to use.

Consider the old cartridge-based videogames of yesteryear. Each was programmed to use the console's memory to run in. Each used the same memory, but it was okay because only one could be plugged in at a time.

;^) Now imagine someone complaining that he can't plug all of his game cartridges in at once and play them simultaneously. Well, that's what using multiple Inventory items at once would be like....

Well why cant they divide inventory in half and have companions on one and locomotions on other half or just make a new category for just the pets so if we on locomotion we open up menu and can use pet too.

Message 4 of 12 (156 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
29222 posts

Jan 11, 2013

It's possible to use the pocket camera with a locomotion item. Perhaps if they had companions separate from loco items in a separate menu it might be possible. Hard to say what the difference in memory requirements might be. 

Message 5 of 12 (155 Views)
Gaming Beast
1947 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 11, 2013

Danger_Dad wrote:

<.< As a proud owner of a NES and Genesis... I love the metaphor... but it's completely irrelevant in cyberspace.

It's simply laziness on Home's end. Nothing exists unless told to. Inventory doesn't have to be 1 category, it could be divided into things such as Tools, LMOs, Pets, etc. and still not overpower things, and it would all simply be a matter of changing codes that define our Inventory's existence.

It's the same laziness that puts backpacks as a hand slot, emoticons as 'headwear', and hats that only have preset hair... it can be sub-divided to better equip/organize, but it hasn't been. :/

Case & Point like Joanna said above... the camera is now available outside of inventory, so now it works. It's existence was redefined, it's not hard.(In coder terms, not avg. joe plopped infront of a computer, so please avoid that debate)

I don't budlist-add on forums, and blank PSN requests get ignored!
Missing Rewards -over a year old, still never fixed! 3-4 months worth of items still MIA.
Message 6 of 12 (152 Views)
PlayStation MVP
2873 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 11, 2013

:^/ Actually, the Pocket Camera was copied to the Emotes menu because it is not possible to use the Inventory one at the same time as another Inventory item.

;^) Now, an option to pool the Emotes memory bank with the Inventory memory bank and choose any two you wished would be interesting, but would likely require a core update to accomplish.

[Edit]

;^) Ahem, Hit the post button too soon.

Moving locomotion items to the emotes menu would allow companions and locomotions at the same time, but then we would not be able to use emotes at the same time as locomotions. Right now, I can fly with my wings and gesture to others at the same time. Putting locomotions into the emotes category would change that.

Right now, we have emotes, companions and locomotions as three disticnt categories of products, but only two memory locations for them to occupy. Again, a core update could tweak how we use the PS3's limited resources, but not create more resources altogether.

Message 7 of 12 (149 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
416 posts

Jan 11, 2013

I heard at E3 that all portable items use the same memory allotment.

Message 8 of 12 (140 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
2873 posts

Jan 11, 2013

Crazy-88 crafted:

Danger_Dad wrote:

<.< As a proud owner of a NES and Genesis... I love the metaphor... but it's completely irrelevant in cyberspace.

It's simply laziness on Home's end. Nothing exists unless told to. Inventory doesn't have to be 1 category, it could be divided into things such as Tools, LMOs, Pets, etc. and still not overpower things, and it would all simply be a matter of changing codes that define our Inventory's existence.

It's the same laziness that puts backpacks as a hand slot, emoticons as 'headwear', and hats that only have preset hair... it can be sub-divided to better equip/organize, but it hasn't been. :/

Case & Point like Joanna said above... the camera is now available outside of inventory, so now it works. It's existence was redefined, it's not hard.(In coder terms, not avg. joe plopped infront of a computer, so please avoid that debate)

:^/ Crazy, I understand what you mean, but consider that the PS3 has a fixed amount of RAM, and no re-allocation scheme is going to make more. You're correct that things can be (and have been) moved around, such as the Emote Pocket Camera duplicating the Inventory Pocket Camera, but there are limits. As a programmer, you  know why.

Consider also that there is no number of niceties that Sony, et. al. could provide that would be so big the public couldn't demand more. To illustrate, go ahead and pick a number. Any number at all, no matter how big. Afterward, I'll pick a bigger one, and ask why your number isn't as big as mine.

Anyway, I gotta get out the door for work, now. Ciao.

Message 9 of 12 (136 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4245 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 11, 2013

Joanna_Dark_ wrote:

It's possible to use the pocket camera with a locomotion item. Perhaps if they had companions separate from loco items in a separate menu it might be possible. Hard to say what the difference in memory requirements might be. 

Even if it still wouldn't work, they absolutely need to have seperate menus for companions and LMOs.... The menu mangement of personal items (wardrobe, furnishings, inventory) has gotten completely inadequate, and I suspect is already keeping many people from purchasing as much as they would like just because of how much a hassle it is to find things once you get beyond a certain tipping point in the quantity of items.

The sad thing is that Sony appears to not care any more.  It's been the most requested change to Home for over a year now and they won't even bother to respond in any fashion.... They just say "Buy Buy Buy" and that's it these days.

Sony's PlayStation Home updated mission statement...

"Like it never happened"

- Stand for something better than mediocrity and don't disguise it as adequate, when clearly it is far from that to anyone willing to be objective and unbiased. -

Message 10 of 12 (124 Views)
0 Likes