Oct 18 2012
By: D-Nitrate Treasure Hunter 4245 posts

If you feel a space is too dark or too light, don't complain about it, just adjust it.

[ Edited ]
15 replies 330 views Edited Oct 18, 2012

I keep seeing post after post from people complaining that a space is either too dark or too bright (sometimes from different people about the same space... After all it's just personal preference).  Many asking, even demanding, that the devs modify the space's ambiant light to their own liking.

Here's the thing, not only can you adjust the brightness just like you can the sound level by adjusting your TV settings, but Sony even allows you to do this using the Display settings under the Option menu.

I routinely adjust the gamma in Home to suit my personal preference in dif spaces.  Heck I even adjust it in the same space depending on what I am doing.

Home isn't without it's numerous flaws, but ambient lighting isn't one of them, because it is very easy to adjust  it to your own personal preference.

Sony's PlayStation Home updated mission statement...

"Like it never happened"

- Stand for something better than mediocrity and don't disguise it as adequate, when clearly it is far from that to anyone willing to be objective and unbiased. -

Message 1 of 16 (330 Views)
Ghost of Sparta
7913 posts

Re: If you feel a space is too dark or too light, don't complain about it, just adjust on your own

Oct 18, 2012

Cool...is there a "crapiness" adjustment control to improve some of the games we've seen as of late? That would be most useful also. Well...assuming the crapiness adjustment isn't already set to minimum.

Message 2 of 16 (314 Views)
Treasure Hunter
4245 posts

Re: If you feel a space is too dark or too light, don't complain about it, just adjust on your own

Oct 18, 2012

myalana wrote:

Cool...is there a "crapiness" adjustment control to improve some of the games we've seen as of late? That would be most useful also. Well...assuming the crapiness adjustment isn't already set to minimum.

Agreed.  It would also be most useful if there was a "crappiness" adjustment control to improve some of the posts we've seen, well... since the first internet forum was created.  It certainly would make it much easier to read many of these threads if one could remove a lot of the crappy worthless posts.

"Like it never happened"

- Stand for something better than mediocrity and don't disguise it as adequate, when clearly it is far from that to anyone willing to be objective and unbiased. -

Message 3 of 16 (302 Views)
Ghost of Sparta
7913 posts

Oct 18, 2012

D-Nitrate wrote:

myalana wrote:

Agreed.  It would also be most useful if there was a "crappiness" adjustment control to improve some of the posts we've seen, well... since the first internet forum was created.  It certainly would make it much easier to read many of these threads if one could remove a lot of the crappy worthless posts.

I'll assume that was aimed at me and kudo you for it...I agree sir.

Message 4 of 16 (298 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
26 posts

Oct 18, 2012

D-Nitrate wrote:

myalana wrote:

Your idea would have saved me the time I spent reading your thread. Padoxical.

Message 5 of 16 (283 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4245 posts

[ Edited ]
Oct 18, 2012

AIwaysSmiIe wrote:
Your idea would have saved me the time I spent reading your thread. Padoxical.

Now that's ironic.  And the fact that so many don't appear to be aware of the ability to adjust the lighting, seems like a thread like this is not only useful, but frankly necessary.

BTW Next time you want to try and insult someone with what you think is a fancy word you might want to learn how to spell it.

"Like it never happened"

Message 6 of 16 (274 Views)
Fender Bender
2999 posts

Re: If you feel a space is too dark or too light, don't complain about it, just adjust it.

[ Edited ]
Oct 18, 2012

D-Nitrate wrote:

I keep seeing post after post from people complaining that a space is either too dark or too bright (sometimes from different people about the same space... After all it's just personal preference).  Many asking, even demanding, that the devs modify the space's ambiant light to their own liking.

Here's the thing, not only can you adjust the brightness just like you can the sound level by adjusting your TV settings, but Sony even allows you to do this using the Display settings under the Option menu.

I routinely adjust the gamma in Home to suit my personal preference in dif spaces.  Heck I even adjust it in the same space depending on what I am doing.

Home isn't without it's numerous flaws, but ambient lighting isn't one of them, because it is very easy to adjust  it to your own personal preference.

Its not that a space is so dark that I can't see it on my t.v. I can see it fine. It's when I record from the ps3 and upload the video to Youtube it comes out really dark and hard to see. Even when I use the Youtube tools to try and brighten it up, it doesn't help and worsens the quality of the video. That's my issue anyways.

bobs fed signature
Message 7 of 16 (229 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4245 posts

Re: If you feel a space is too dark or too light, don't complain about it, just adjust it.

Oct 18, 2012

Bobsfed wrote:

D-Nitrate wrote:

Its not that a space is so dark that I can't see it on my t.v. I can see it fine. It's when I record from the ps3 and upload the video to Youtube it comes out really dark and hard to see. Even when I use the Youtube tools to try and brighten it up, it doesn't help and worsens the quality of the video. That's my issue anyways.

Sounds like your recording device is darkening the video.   Adjusting the gamma level in Home will fix that for you as it changes the actual gamma level for Home which will get recorded where as changing the gamma level of your TV wont get recorded, so the change in gamma level will transfer to any external recording device you are using.  

If you are using the loot camera I suppose it may bypass any gamma changes, but that sounds unlikely, and if so you should contact Loot to see if they can change that as that would be a pretty bad oversight if that was the case.

"Like it never happened"

Message 8 of 16 (218 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
122 posts

Oct 18, 2012

Hi D! Ok when I wish to take pics in a really dark place, even after adjusting the gamma the pics turn out dark. This is frustrating. So lighting a dark space is needed. I hate having to adjust my gamma just to go to one place so I never went to Cutteridge. But it is extra useful because when I go to my friends fossil museum he likes to keep it really dark and I have a really tough time trying to find the stairs.

Message 9 of 16 (211 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4245 posts

[ Edited ]
Oct 18, 2012

Rozzz___ wrote:

Hi D! Ok when I wish to take pics in a really dark place, even after adjusting the gamma the pics turn out dark. This is frustrating. So lighting a dark space is needed. I hate having to adjust my gamma just to go to one place so I never went to Cutteridge. But it is extra useful because when I go to my friends fossil museum he likes to keep it really dark and I have a really tough time trying to find the stairs.

The problem is that while you and I might prefer a space to be lighter, others might not and vice versa, and so having the devs change it won't solve the problem.  The only reasonable solution is to let each person set the brightness to their liking, which is what we have now, but many don't realize that they can do that.  

I've hosted many tours of my spaces and have had countless visitors complaining about the ambient light some wanting it lighter and some darker even for the exact same space, and when I suggest they adjust the gamma level they always say, "How do I do that?" When I show them, they wish they knew abouit that feature before... Thus one of the reasons for this thread, to get the word out.

As for hating to adjust the gamma level just to go to one place, maybe you are doing it differently than I.  For me it takes less than 5 seconds.   Press start, select Options, select Display, adjust Gamma.

As for the in-home camera, like the Loot camera, apparently it ignores any gamma changes, and if that is the case, and it bothers you that the pics are too bright or too dark, then I would strongly recommend you request Sony to change the camera to recognize adjustments to the gamma level.  That would certainly be a much better and more reasonable option than expecting the devs for each space to find an ambient light level that everyone will agree is the best.

"Like it never happened"

Message 10 of 16 (165 Views)
0 Likes