Re: How many of you actually care for the World Cup

Jun 12, 2014

According to wiki:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sports_in_the_United_States

SportFavorite
Sport
Professional LeagueParticipantsNCAA DI Teams
(Men + Women)
American football38.8%National Football League8.9 million249 (249M + 0W)
Basketball15.3%National Basketball Association24.4 million698 (350M + 348W)
Baseball/Softball14.8%Major League Baseball23.3 million589 (298M + 291W)
Soccer8.2%Major League Soccer13.6 million531 (204M + 327W)
Ice Hockey3.8%National Hockey League3.1 million95 (59M + 36W)

Going by this data, the popularity is there. It's just that the interest level of the fan base isn't high enough compared to those other countries.

Message 41 of 71 (315 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
172 posts

Jun 12, 2014

asfghjklEU wrote:

According to wiki:

SportFavorite
Sport
(Men + Women)

Going by this data, the popularity is there. It's just that the interest level of the fan base isn't high enough compared to those other countries.

you forgot to add this: 

The top professional soccer league in the United States, Major League Soccer, has not yet reached the popularity levels of the top four sports leagues or its international counterparts, although average attendance has been increasing.

Message 42 of 71 (308 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
29239 posts

[ Edited ]
Jun 12, 2014

rjr27nh222 wrote:

I'm just saying, for the majority of the users on Home, don't care for this event.  And, Home went about it the wrong way.  I see very little hype when it comes to this event and do others.  Some won't even scoreboard watch it, but least I will and take some interest.  

Yes-kids do play soccer but very rare, it's ever a first sport to them here in N.A. 

Were you here for FEVA? Is was an extremely popular event on Home and I suspect most users would love to see it return. Please don't make statements like most users because seriously you really don't know. You're using your personal preference and trying to project in on others. 

We can't even get E3 here nowadays sadly and any well designed event would be welcome.  

Message 43 of 71 (306 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
615 posts

Jun 12, 2014

rjr27nh222 wrote:

asfghjklEU wrote:

According to wiki:

SportFavorite
Sport
(Men + Women)

you forgot to add this: 

The top professional soccer league in the United States, Major League Soccer, has not yet reached the popularity levels of the top four sports leagues or its international counterparts, although average attendance has been increasing.

So? That doesn't mean it's not popular. Your stance seems to be that there is 0 interest in soccer in the US, but that is totally wrong.

Message 44 of 71 (303 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
172 posts

Jun 12, 2014

asfghjklEU wrote:

rjr27nh222 wrote:

asfghjklEU wrote:

According to wiki:

SportFavorite
Sport
(Men + Women)

you forgot to add this: 

So? That doesn't mean it's not popular. Your stance seems to be that there is 0 interest in soccer in the US, but that is totally wrong.

They said it, not me..  I see very little support users on Home buying stuff for this event and no one is talking about it on Home.  So, does the numbers lie than, because they wrote it.  ?  

Message 45 of 71 (298 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
615 posts

Jun 12, 2014

rjr27nh222 wrote:

They said it, not me..  I see very little support users on Home buying stuff for this event and no one is talking about it on Home.  So, does the numbers lie than, because they wrote it.  ?  

OK, then prove it. Show us the data. Did you ask all the Home users?

Message 46 of 71 (292 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
172 posts

[ Edited ]
Jun 12, 2014

Joanna_Dark_ wrote:

rjr27nh222 wrote:

I'm just saying, for the majority of the users on Home, don't care for this event.  And, Home went about it the wrong way.  I see very little hype when it comes to this event and do others.  Some won't even scoreboard watch it, but least I will and take some interest.  

Yes-kids do play soccer but very rare, it's ever a first sport to them here in N.A. 

Were you here for FEVA? Is was an extremely popular event on Home and I suspect most users would love to see it return. Please don't make statements like most users because seriously you really don't know. You're using your personal preference and trying to project in on others. 

We can't even get E3 here nowadays sadly and any well designed event would be welcome.  

Yes-it was only popular because of that game, goal soccer game.    Which I got the gold shoes as well. And, having such a prestige reward, that's what made that place popular.  

But half the time the game didn't work right, because the que kept jamming, etc.  I'm only saying people in Home don't have an interest in this sport.  Very little do.  They want more NHL gear, NFL gear, etc.    

And, soccer hasn't caught on in N.A.  Wiiki said it!!  I gave you a link.  We can sit here all day and go back and forth, but me growing up, soccer  was  never popular and was a second sport to most, until the high school level, etc. Most of the kids, were playing football, or baseball and even hockey.   Same with Lacross.  Very rare you see kids pick that sport up and that's their sport first.  

If anything, Lacross is more popular than soccer here in N.A.   

Message 47 of 71 (287 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
172 posts

Jun 12, 2014

asfghjklEU wrote:

rjr27nh222 wrote:

OK, then prove it. Show us the data. Did you ask all the Home users?

Don't have to ask..  Just look around.  I hardly see anyone with their support.  On occasion I will see one user wearing a jersey but it's not out there.   Home users aren't just buying into this event and I bet you won't either.  I hope USA wins but I highly doubt it.  

Message 48 of 71 (281 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2619 posts

Jun 12, 2014

rjr27nh222 wrote:

North America:  It's a sport we don't teach our childern, it becomes second to  football, hockey, baseball, and basketball, we learn first and soccer always second, that you pick up later on.  Just like Lacross.     How many of us here in N.A. have ever watch an enitre soccer game?  I love sports in general but never have in my lifetime and will never attend a soccer game. And most  people on here won't, it's boring!   

It's not just me, people from North America, don't understand all the rules and they are crazy, and too many of them.   Soccer is the worst when it comes to the rules.  

So you're saying that you've never been taught about soccer, you've never watched a whole game, you've never been to a game and you never intend to go to a game.

Somehow though, you're an authority on the rulebook, actually referred to as The Laws of the Game.

To imply that soccer has more rules than American football is absurd. As expected from your self-admittedly negligible soccer experience, you clearly have no idea what you're saying. Just because you've chosen not to watch nor learn the game does not mean that its rules are complicated.

If you're only speaking about North American Home users, you should  remember that  Home exists for the rest of the world as well. If you have no interest in learning about soccer, you may instead choose to learn about ethnocentricity.

castle3
Message 49 of 71 (271 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
172 posts

Jun 12, 2014

X-MsLiZa-X wrote:

rjr27nh222 wrote:

North America:  It's a sport we don't teach our childern, it becomes second to  football, hockey, baseball, and basketball, we learn first and soccer always second, that you pick up later on.  Just like Lacross.     How many of us here in N.A. have ever watch an enitre soccer game?  I love sports in general but never have in my lifetime and will never attend a soccer game. And most  people on here won't, it's boring!   

It's not just me, people from North America, don't understand all the rules and they are crazy, and too many of them.   Soccer is the worst when it comes to the rules.  

So you're saying that you've never been taught about soccer, you've never watched a whole game, you've never been to a game and you never intend to go to a game.

Somehow though, you're an authority on the rulebook, actually referred to as The Laws of the Game.

To imply that soccer has more rules than American football is absurd. As expected from your self-admittedly negligible soccer experience, you clearly have no idea what you're saying. Just because you've chosen not to watch nor learn the game does not mean that its rules are complicated.

If you're only speaking about North American Home users, you should  remember that  Home exists for the rest of the world as well. If you have no interest in learning about soccer, you may instead choose to learn about ethnocentricity.

I don't like the sport and a lot of americans don't either, I bet you don't as well.  And, I'm sure you don't understand the sport as well.   So what if I never played or attended a game.  Never said I was "an authority on the rulebook."  I just know that soccer has like over 200 rules and people don't understand it all.  

But I do like sports in general and will take an interest, but will never attend a soccer game, oh well.  I like NFL, NHL and MLB and even Nascar.   Heck I even watch basketball and I support my teams.  

Again, just saying the majority of the Home users don't show interest.  Some don't even know the event is starting. 

Message 50 of 71 (266 Views)
0 Likes