Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Nov 02 2013
By: DarthGranny Sackboy 186 posts

How many active accounts are there in Home?

41 replies 602 views Edited Nov 2, 2013

I am curious.  I hear numbers in the millions.  And maybe there ARE millions of PlayStation 3 owners.  And maybe many of them have opened a Home account at some time.  And maybe some of you rascals have opened MORE than one account.  But how many are really active in Home?  By active, I mean someone who comes into Home at least one hour a week on average. Versus what percentage opened an account, visited once or twice, and never returned?

Here's why I ask:  there are approximately 89 public spaces in Home.  I did a tour around the entire system and found that the majority had only a handful of people in there.  A few, like Acorn Meadows, had more than one server going because of demand.  We all know that the max capacity in a server is 64.  Of course, there are more users in Home who are not in a public space - they are in club rooms, personal spaces, etc.   I won't bore you with the long explanation of how I crunched the numbers, but it looks to me as if there are less than 5000 active users in Home at this moment in time, this Saturday morning.  Now, of course, people come and go and the numbers change, but, I am guessing that overall,  there's probably less than 100,000 ACTIVE Home members in Home NA.

For me, this is idle curiousity but to a developer trying to do a business plan and project sales of a new item, my guess is they would probably be looking at a lot less than selling a million of anything.  Probably even a lot less than 100,000.   Like I said, this is all guesswork, but I am curious to know what your guess would be.

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 42 (602 Views)
Welcoming Committee
678 posts

Re: How many active accounts are there in Home?

Nov 2, 2013

A lot.

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 42 (585 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
29119 posts

Nov 2, 2013

Home is a relataively small commnity with many big spenders. They certainnly aren't going to tell us the numbers. I suspect developers have an idea of individual accounts given sales of popular items but not everyone likes the same thing. 

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 42 (578 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
4452 posts

Nov 2, 2013
I don't know how to reply to this.....I guess we should ask the government
Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 42 (568 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
4010 posts

Nov 2, 2013
What? Sony has a government, or Sony is the government? Uh-oh I've said too much. That white van pulling up outside seems a little ominous. I'm sure it's noth....
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 42 (528 Views)
PlayStation MVP
2667 posts

[ Edited ]
Nov 2, 2013

:^/ Gran, you've done more research just now than most here have done, so you're likely in a better position to answer your own question than anyone here could be.

Having said that, my personal feeling is that your numbers are probably pretty close. The recent Home Challenge features have driven enough peoplle to targeted spaces that I can often leave one of those, then return, and get a different instance instead of always getting the same one, as with less populated spaces.

I also see the Challenges as a way to encourage people to crowd into the same spaces together, both creating the feeling of Home being well populated, and increasing the opportunity for people to strike up conversations with each other, grow attached, and become motivated to continue visiting Home. It's a way of boosting the percentage of casual visitors who later take root here and stay. It's a good strategy, and I hope it works.

However, stuff like that also hints that Home's population is small enough to benefit from/need such things.

For what it's worth, I noticed that so far, the Challenges are only for the Sony-owned Bowling Alley, and the Sony-partnered Pottermore spaces. Maybe there are plans in the works for other developers' spaces to join in on this, if they opt to. Maybe not.

[Edit]

:^/ I'll also add that one of the reasons developers toss out the occassional free item is that it gives them a feeling for the number of users there are, and thus a reasonable sense of the maximum sales/revenue they could expect, and thus what sort of budget they should limit themselves to when creating something.

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 42 (517 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
251 posts

Nov 2, 2013

Danger_Dad wrote:

:^/ Gran, you've done more research just now that most here have done, so you're likely in a better position to answer your own question than anyone here could be.

Having said that, my personal feeling is that your numbers are probably pretty close. The recent Home Challenges feature have driven enough peoplle to targeted spaces that I can often leave one of those, then return, and get a different instance instead of always getting the same one, as with less populated spaces.

I also see the Challenges as a way to encourage people to crowd into the same spaces together, both creating the feeling of Home being well populated, and increasing the opportunity for people to strike up conversations with each other, grow attached, and become motivated to continue visiting Home. It's a way of boosting the percentage of casual visitors who later take root here and stay. It's a good strategy, and I hope it works.

However, stuff like that also hints that Home's population is small enough to need/benefit from such things.

For what it's worth, I noticed that so far, the Challenges are only for the Sony-owned Bowling Alley, and the Sony-partnered Pottermore spaces. Maybe there are plans in the works for other developers' spaces to join in on this, if they opt to. Maybe not.

[Edit]

:^/ I'll also add that one of the reasons developers toss out the occassional free item is that it gives them a feeling for the number of users there are, and thus a reasonable sense of the maximum sales/revenue they could expect, and thus what sort of budget they should limit themselves to when creating something.

Very TRUE!

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 42 (509 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
443 posts

[ Edited ]
Nov 2, 2013

My guess for active Home users is far more lower than that.

I use the Granzella event ranking numbers and they were 6000 for Ogre (paid item almost necessary) and 12500 for Kikai (can be done completely free) for NA. Just playing the tutorial should have given you 51 points and be ranked tie in last place. If the 100,000 was true, then that's only 13% that participated in the free event which is hard to believe in the limited small Home environment. What have the other 87% been doing? 

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 42 (490 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
6437 posts

Nov 2, 2013

I would have to say it's a very small community with members who are big spenders of buying Home content since most PlayStation 3 users don't use Home. 

Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 42 (473 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
10662 posts

Nov 2, 2013
New PSN ID for PS4: Redd-Axel

Come check out my Twitch TV channel, will be streaming various PS4 games from time to time http://www.twitch.tv/reddaxel
Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 42 (471 Views)