Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Fender Bender
2425 posts

Re: How Often Do You Delete and Re-Install Home:

Dec 27, 2013

I think twice in the past month because everything was so slow. Not so slow now but I don't know if delete/reinstall Home helped.

I also switched from 3B to 8GB cache.

Other than that I seldom have done it, maybe twice during the year as I recall.

Have a 80GB HD.

Born in the U.S.A. - Bruce Springsteen
trolling is for fishing, not the forums

Please use plain text.
Message 61 of 72 (210 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
3110 posts

[ Edited ]
Dec 27, 2013

msx293 wrote:

Black_MagicWoman wrote:

msx293 wrote:

i have never intentionally deleted & reinstalled Home, the last time i installed it was i think almost 2 years ago. i never have any of the problems most people have that require a reinstall. i honestly don't see the point of deleting it for a little cache space out of the 12 gigs i have reserved. all spaces load & connect fast, i never freeze in there, so i don't see the point of doing it. it seems like a waste of time if everything is working. the only problem i've had with Home the past year or 2 is the loot EOD screens but they've had problems since they came out. maybe someone can enlighten me as to why i should when i've had no problems at all but i don't see any sense or point in doing it just to do it.

Surely no one is suggesting that you should.

Like I said earlier it comes down to ones personal preference.

I was just simply curious to other folks thoughts on this matter.:womanhappy:  

don't get me wrong i don't see a problem in it but i just don't know the benefits of regular cache clearing in something like Home as opposed to say a web browsers cache or why someone would do it without first having problems that it may fix. i'm just curious as to the benefits of it more than anything. to me starting a sort of routine has to have benefits, something like opening my PS3 & taking water & a Q-tip to clean the blu-ray lens has tremendous benefits ( <--- pro tip if your PS3 is out of warranty & not playing discs try plain water & a Q-tip with extremely light pressure on the lens just enough to see the assembly move, alcohol will instantly destroy the plastic lens & lens cleaners do more harm than good on the extremely delicate blu-ray lens ) but you get my point.

if it has benefits i see a good self-maintenance routine, if not i don't understand the cause behind going through all that. so if you know of any real benefits i'd like to know more about it.

My dad was a military man and also a mechanic most of his life. The one thing he stressed most was Preventive Maintenance.

I'm guessing it rubbed off a little on me.:womanhappy:

Now with that being said. I have no facts or figures that I can give that either prove or disprove the benefits of the routine.

It's something I've pretty much have always done along with my many other routines I do on a daily and weekly basis.

I guess the only benefit I can give is that it gives me peace of mind.:womanhappy:

=+=Irresponsible kids are raised by irresponsible parents who were once irresponsible kids themselves.The vicious cycle continues.=+=
Please use plain text.
Message 62 of 72 (197 Views)
I Only Post Everything
1051 posts

Dec 27, 2013
seems about once every other month I find myself deleting home about 59 times in 1 day jaja
Astrocytoma can ruin my life but it can't break my spirit...Ghost minded and in the Shadows. Don't get it? yeah thats because it isn't normal.
Please use plain text.
Message 63 of 72 (188 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
186 posts

Dec 27, 2013

I don't reinstall and clear cache's that often, I guess that's why I freeze sometimes I don't know what's going on in Home. :\

Please use plain text.
Message 64 of 72 (165 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
307 posts

Dec 27, 2013
too often to count.
ジャーマン ・ウォリア
Please use plain text.
Message 65 of 72 (159 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1094 posts

Dec 28, 2013

Every day or two..  Used to be I was tired of the dramatics, but now its because everytime i get an error, thats what i'm told on HERE, will fix it.  But does it?  For a day or two.

~~~~~~~~~ Show No Fear - Fortune Favors The Bold! ~~~~~~~~~
Please use plain text.
Message 66 of 72 (147 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2934 posts

Dec 28, 2013
Think I've only done it.....once lol
Your 1st and ONLY 2-Time 2013 Digital Leisuire's Queen Of War!!~~

Never ask questions you don't wanna know da answers to!!~~

Hard works pays off, Dreams come true, bad times don't last but Bad Guys do!!~~

You don't have 2 love me,You don't even have 2 like me, But you WILL Respect me!!~~

The Fear of Death, is far greater then Death itself,
The Fear of the Unknown is the greatest fear of them all!!

The Undertaker!!~~
Please use plain text.
Message 67 of 72 (143 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
1604 posts

Dec 28, 2013

xfisticuffsx wrote:

Every day or two..  Used to be I was tired of the dramatics, but now its because everytime i get an error, thats what i'm told on HERE, will fix it.  But does it?  For a day or two.

No, but keep right on doing it, if it makes you feel better.

Home will be gone some day, but we don't know when. I intend to enjoy it as long as I can. I hope you do, too.
Please use plain text.
Message 68 of 72 (134 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
3436 posts

Dec 28, 2013

Uninstalling and reinstalling Home is not necessary since all you are doing is deleting a link, not home Itself 

The Home icon on your PS3 does not hold Home or any related information and once you hit the icon (link) it proceeds to download Home just like any other link on the internet.  

I remember when I was a noobie having an issue with getting errors while decorating a space JW insisted I needed to do this step in order to fix the problem and I said no, after arguing for a bit I caved in and did what he asked of me (uninstall and reinstall Home) this made the problem even worse.  Needless to say I was not happy and ever since then I have never deleted and reinstalled Home no matter what.  I did resolve my issue with the advice of a community member that told me to delete the space/furniture layout from my XMB (this was when your layouts were still in your HD) my Problem was solved!!  

Tech support has never fixed an issue I've had with spaces/items unless its a store error, HOWEVER my fellow community members have been able to assist me in solving issues in the past and for that I am grateful.

I normally don't have issues and if I do its the same ones everyone else gets, like D05 errors or freezing that I normally find in support, I do however clean my cache as least once every two months or if there's a major update since old versions of the stored web pages in your cache and conflict with the new ones.  

So to answer the OP, NEVER 

Please use plain text.
Message 69 of 72 (121 Views)
PlayStation MVP
1710 posts

Dec 28, 2013

I've only done it once to see, but never had the need to.  To me it's a placebo like "awesome detection" in Rock Band.  If anything, clearing the cache is much better.

"I don't know about you, but I intend to write a strongly worded letter to the White Star Line about all of this."
Please use plain text.
Message 70 of 72 (114 Views)
0 Likes