Do you mean 
Survivor
1840 posts

Re: How Often Do You Delete and Re-Install Home:

Dec 26, 2013

OPTIMYSPRYME wrote:

Black_MagicWoman wrote:

OPTIMYSPRYME wrote:

About every 6 mos. usually - Had to last night as it keeps freezing when trying to use Lockwood Gift Machine and a couple specific spaces. Still having issues after deleting/re-installing...anyone else?? Or any suggestions?

Which Gift Machine did you use? The one in Lockwood space or the free portable one we get.

free one in personal spaces...i have the orig. red one and the blue...both kick me out or freeze me.

Thats probably why. These are know to have freezing issue.

Try using one in public place (like Lockwood HQ) or better, a private place with a built in one.

co-founder
The Black Hat Squad/Black Hat Squadron/Novus Black Hats
Novus international elite force
Black Hats website
Black Hats on Facebook
Message 41 of 72 (146 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1479 posts

Dec 26, 2013
My internet is to slow to reinstall lol.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Your statement is Invalid.
Message 42 of 72 (137 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
271 posts

Dec 26, 2013

Black_MagicWoman wrote:

HotChick955 wrote:

VioletWinds wrote:

HotChick955 wrote:

(A little bit OT)

The wardrobe, the inventory and the furniture list can be massively (!) sped up by installing a SSD (that's a solid state "hard drive") into your PS3. I did it in one of my PS3 and I can see the difference when I run Home on two PS3 at the same time. It was/is the best investment ever.

Why would this be true when those items aren't stored on your hard drive any more?

The furniture layout of your apartments and the current outfit of your avatar is not stored on your HD anymore. This was the big new thing in the 1.8 update. The little images in the wardrobe, furniture list and inventory are all always coming from Sony's servers. They are not taken from your HD, they are always downloaded from the network. When they are downloaded, then they will be cached on your hard drive to some extend. This caching process is what takes time on the usually slow mechanical 2.5" hard drives. Home (or is the OS of the PS3 itself?) is not very efficient when it comes to hard drive resources. Even taking a simple picture sometimes takes forever until it is finally saved on the hard drive.

After I installed the SSD in the PS3 everything (!) was instantly much faster. Opening the wardrobe, going to a new space, taking pictures... it is all super fast. For example: The wardrobe and furniture items are visible in the list about 1 second after I opened the wardrobe. When I go to a public space, all the other avatars only take a few seconds until I see all their clothing and LMOs. I rarely see any ghosts at all. On my other PS3, which is identical, except that it has a mechanical HD, everything takes much longer to load. There I can see lots of ghosts in the spaces and blinking dots in the wardrobe. This slow loading process is what the normal Home user is seeing.

I've been looking at SSD. They are on the steep side when it comes to cost. I've also read that their reliability is sometimes a factor.

I agree though without mechanical moving parts the SSD would definitely benefit loading speeds on Home. 

The question for me though is if I'm willing to spend the extra money for the extra speed.:womanhappy:

I've paid $120 for a 150GB Intel SSD about a year ago. The prices should be even better now (I didn't check). I don't regret it at all. It's definitely worth it. Regarding the reliability: At least I've had no problems at all so far. I also can't find any really negative reviews on the net. I've had definitely more problems with mechanical drives in the past.

Message 43 of 72 (131 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
3274 posts

Dec 26, 2013

HotChick955 wrote:

Black_MagicWoman wrote:

HotChick955 wrote:

VioletWinds wrote:

HotChick955 wrote:

(A little bit OT)

The wardrobe, the inventory and the furniture list can be massively (!) sped up by installing a SSD (that's a solid state "hard drive") into your PS3. I did it in one of my PS3 and I can see the difference when I run Home on two PS3 at the same time. It was/is the best investment ever.

Why would this be true when those items aren't stored on your hard drive any more?

The furniture layout of your apartments and the current outfit of your avatar is not stored on your HD anymore. This was the big new thing in the 1.8 update. The little images in the wardrobe, furniture list and inventory are all always coming from Sony's servers. They are not taken from your HD, they are always downloaded from the network. When they are downloaded, then they will be cached on your hard drive to some extend. This caching process is what takes time on the usually slow mechanical 2.5" hard drives. Home (or is the OS of the PS3 itself?) is not very efficient when it comes to hard drive resources. Even taking a simple picture sometimes takes forever until it is finally saved on the hard drive.

After I installed the SSD in the PS3 everything (!) was instantly much faster. Opening the wardrobe, going to a new space, taking pictures... it is all super fast. For example: The wardrobe and furniture items are visible in the list about 1 second after I opened the wardrobe. When I go to a public space, all the other avatars only take a few seconds until I see all their clothing and LMOs. I rarely see any ghosts at all. On my other PS3, which is identical, except that it has a mechanical HD, everything takes much longer to load. There I can see lots of ghosts in the spaces and blinking dots in the wardrobe. This slow loading process is what the normal Home user is seeing.

I've been looking at SSD. They are on the steep side when it comes to cost. I've also read that their reliability is sometimes a factor.

I agree though without mechanical moving parts the SSD would definitely benefit loading speeds on Home. 

The question for me though is if I'm willing to spend the extra money for the extra speed.:womanhappy:

I've paid $120 for a 150GB Intel SSD about a year ago. The prices should be even better now (I didn't check). I don't regret it at all. It's definitely worth it. Regarding the reliability: At least I've had no problems at all so far. I also can't find any really negative reviews on the net. I've had definitely more problems with mechanical drives in the past.

I have a 500GB installed that I've had for 4 years.

When I priced a 420GB SSD the price was almost $600 that was back in January I almost had a heart attack lol.

I'm sure prices have drop significantly since then so I'll be checking  again to see if things have changed.:womanhappy:

=+=Irresponsible kids are raised by irresponsible parents who were once irresponsible kids themselves.The vicious cycle continues.=+=
Message 44 of 72 (125 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
1377 posts

Dec 26, 2013

So when you Delete and Re-Install home, do you have to re-enter your email address and or password or birthdate again for anyone that has an avatar for home?

If we took just five minutes, to recognize each others beauty, instead of attacking each other for our differences .............
Ellen Page
Message 45 of 72 (121 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
1840 posts

Dec 26, 2013

PYAWAKITT wrote:

So when you Delete and Re-Install home, do you have to re-enter your email address and or password or birthdate again for anyone that has an avatar for home?

Nope. The process is seamless.

co-founder
The Black Hat Squad/Black Hat Squadron/Novus Black Hats
Novus international elite force
Black Hats website
Black Hats on Facebook
Message 46 of 72 (111 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
3274 posts

[ Edited ]
Dec 26, 2013

PYAWAKITT wrote:

No. You only need to do that if you recover your account if it's deleted or you get a new PS3.:womanhappy:

=+=Irresponsible kids are raised by irresponsible parents who were once irresponsible kids themselves.The vicious cycle continues.=+=
Message 47 of 72 (109 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
759 posts

Dec 26, 2013
I've only deleted Home once in the last six months. Most of my problems seem to be related to connecting to Home via wireless router. Even though everything else worked fine (movies, other games. etc.), Home was constantly disconnecting me. That started a few months ago. Previously, I had no issues on wireless. Out of desperation, I bought a 50' CAT-6 cable and went hard wired. After that my problems went away.
"He's but one man. One man alone cannot fight the future."
-Conrad Strughold, The X-Files

Home-Brainiac-Winner-Ren_Echo.gif

Message 48 of 72 (101 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
116 posts

Dec 26, 2013

i have never intentionally deleted & reinstalled Home, the last time i installed it was i think almost 2 years ago. i never have any of the problems most people have that require a reinstall. i honestly don't see the point of deleting it for a little cache space out of the 12 gigs i have reserved. all spaces load & connect fast, i never freeze in there, so i don't see the point of doing it. it seems like a waste of time if everything is working. the only problem i've had with Home the past year or 2 is the loot EOD screens but they've had problems since they came out. maybe someone can enlighten me as to why i should when i've had no problems at all but i don't see any sense or point in doing it just to do it.

Message 49 of 72 (97 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
4487 posts

Dec 26, 2013

I delete and reinstall only when I need to, which is like every month. :smileysad:

<

photo evolve_zps9e0e8f3e.jpg

Welcoming Committee   

Message 50 of 72 (93 Views)
0 Likes