Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
I Only Post Everything
902 posts

is playstation home going to be on the ps4?

Feb 21, 2013
I don't know what to think? I'd like to get an official word from psh management one way or the other. What do you guys think will psh be carried on the ps4?
Please use plain text.
Message 111 of 301 (2,851 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
1923 posts

Re: Home's Future....or Lack thereof?

[ Edited ]
Feb 21, 2013

KarateChampChad wrote:

Anyone tuning into the Playstation press conference today would know that the Playstation 4 was announced, as well as a variety of new console features and games such as Killzone: Shadow Fall and inFamous: Second Son...

But one thing was missing...an acknowledgement of Playstation Home.

I post this to discuss and ponder why, how come nothing was said. Are there plans for Home to transition to the PS4? Should we keep spending on Home if we aren't even sure it'll ever leave the PS3? Personally I'm officially closing my wallet as of today to Home. I gave it a chance again once they had introduced LMOs but the lack of an acknowledgement of Home has made me decide to stop spending on the service permanently. Your thoughts? 

Also, I would appreciate if we could get an official answer regarding this issue, if we'll see Home on the PS4 or not. I believe a lot of people would appreciate that answer right now.

P.S. Mods, please don't move or merge this thread. Its a separate discussion on its own that shouldn't be drown into another ongoing one, especially after seeing the press conference today. Its important people know Home was given zero acknowledgement. 

Hi buddy :smileyhappy:

I haven't read this whole thread, so please excuse me for that. But I'm sure it will be okay. Home is just a program. A host program running on a server and database, and a client program running on a ps3. Nothing on the server side needs to change. And all they need is to port the program over to the ps4. I'm sure our version of Home will be available.

The only thing I would worry about is if PS4 will have it's own version of Home. Our version of Home is very low resolution compared to what the ps4 can run. So I'm willing to bet Sony would want to upgrade that. The problem I see with that is you can't increase the resolution of our clothing without an insane amount of money and labor. And any clothing that uses the ability of a ps4 will quickly hit an out of memory error on our ps3. A room full of PS4 quality avatars is more memory than the PS3 can handle. We all know how memory strapped the ps3 is in Home.

So I'm betting there will be two version of Home running on the PS4. Our old PS3 version, and a newer ps4 version. Though over time, I'm willing to bet developers will start to focus more on the ps4 version as more users move to it. And PS3's Home with less content will become boring and lose users. And eventually die. But that's years away. And it was always going to be our fate. Nothing lasts forever. 

Please use plain text.
Message 112 of 301 (2,877 Views)
PlayStation MVP
29074 posts

Feb 21, 2013

I hope so Navy. I wish they'd get it over with and tell us already. Maybe they don't know. I would think they've had to assure developers that it will be although I guess we won't know until they announce it officially. 

Please use plain text.
Message 113 of 301 (2,871 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
25585 posts

Feb 21, 2013

I'm very confident that Home will be moved to the PS4 and that it will benefit from the PS4 upgrades.

If Home doesn't move to the next console, and SCE wishes to create another online community similar to Home, there may be issues due to a loss in confidense. We and Developers have invested so much time and money into the current Home. To lose all of that would be costly to all of us, and eventually to SCE itself.

With a new program similar to our current Home, why should we invest in it knowing that we will lose it all when the next generation(s) of PlayStation may not support the previous "Home-like" online community(ies)?

Because of this, I feel that Home will continue (with improvements) on future generations of the PlayStation console.

The way you play the game is the way you live your life.

Please use plain text.
Message 114 of 301 (2,868 Views)
PlayStation MVP
1000 posts

Feb 21, 2013
I also believe that home will be on ps4 but a new version of it will be on it and I believe that are stuff will transfer to it. Why would Sony want to lose 76 million users world wide. Think it this way if everyone buy $1 of items it would lose 76 million dollars of money and I don't think would stand to lose that much money In long run.

Please use plain text.
Message 115 of 301 (2,855 Views)
Fender Bender
2440 posts

Feb 21, 2013

F1REFLY_SEREN1TY wrote: 

So I'm betting there will be two version of Home running on the PS4. Our old PS3 version, and a newer ps4 version. Though over time, I'm willing to bet developers will start to focus more on the ps4 version as more users move to it. And PS3's Home with less content will become boring and lose users. And eventually die. But that's years away. And it was always going to be our fate. Nothing lasts forever. 

____________________________________________________________________________________________

This sounds about right to me.  It's like any other transitional period.  VHS to DVD, PS2 games to PS3 games etc.  Developers will release 2 versions of content until one of them is no longer profitable.

It's just a shame that our PS3 Home content is so unlikely to carry over to the new platform.  The idea of starting from scratch does not appeal to me.

castle3
Please use plain text.
Message 116 of 301 (2,847 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1310 posts

Feb 21, 2013

Sony is in no hurry to port PS3 games to the PS4.

Why would they port Home...

Even if they somehow tried to port Home to the new Playstation PC, I can only image the problems in home to be ten fold.

As much I like current Home, starting from scratch, building a new Home on the PS4 would be the least problematic.

Fake signature:

PC4 is just a computer, with limited exclusive future titles, a PS controller and a nostalgic diehard fan base.

Please use plain text.
Message 117 of 301 (2,836 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
1000 posts

Feb 21, 2013
If you look at Sony history and what they did some ps3 games will play on ps4 but not all. As for home why would Sony upload all are content from home they they not going to transfer it to ps4. It wouldn't make to do that at all. I still believe home going to be on ps4

Please use plain text.
Message 118 of 301 (2,835 Views)
Survivor
1923 posts

Feb 21, 2013

Joanna_Dark_ wrote:

I hope so Navy. I wish they'd get it over with and tell us already. Maybe they don't know. I would think they've had to assure developers that it will be although I guess we won't know until they announce it officially. 

I think they haven't released information because it's not concrete yet. And Sony feels that it's better to wait wait wait to reveal information than to announce early and then announce any changes along the way.

Once information gets public, it tends to have a "set in stone" quality to it. And it's hard to deviate from that without looking like a Mitt Romney etchasketch. Well, that seems to be how Sony thinks. 

I'm sure you will like what's coming. Sure there will be regrets and frustrations. But Sony has always been a mix of frustration and fun!

:smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Message 119 of 301 (2,814 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
1923 posts

Feb 21, 2013

OOPS. Looks like some bad news here. After all I said, looks like this may be more of an insight.

http://www.destructoid.com/psn-purchases-will-not-carry-over-to-playstation-4-246229.phtml

• "Shuhei Yoshida told a roundtable (including our own Dale North) the PS4's innards are too different from the PS3, and the company is trying to avoid draining the system's power with emulation. Although plans are being looked into to get PS3 games playable in some form on the system, it appears anything you do right now on the PS3 will remain bound there."

Looks like ps3 and ps4's hardward needs very different programming for a program like Home to run. 

Ouch. That don't look good....

Please use plain text.
Message 120 of 301 (2,800 Views)
0 Likes