PlayStation MVP
29003 posts

Re: Home on PS4.

[ Edited ]
Mar 2, 2014

StephieRawks wrote:
Eventually all threads will be merged into this one.

This is area 51 material. Better alert moderation. This is a living breathing thing! :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Message 2291 of 2,954 (527 Views)
Fender Bender
2933 posts

[ Edited ]
Mar 2, 2014

It would be a great loss for psn if this thing called home dies here. As I said before the ps4 is like a newborn babe. They are doing everything they can to keep it clean. So there's very little worth doing on it right now.

Most importantly the ps4 is not generating any real gaming revenue. So psn is still depending on the ps3 for its daily sale numbers. Which relies heavily on what they sell on home. Those numbers are dropping rapidly. Simply because home users know this place has an expiration date on it. So why would anybody invest time and money on a dying program. The really low population on this forum shows how many people have already walk away from this thing.

This downward trend would change immediately. If psn would realized how much they actually need home. A smart sony president would see as the ps4 is now years away of making any real profits. Yes their making huge profits which they desperately need with console sales. But when that bubble bursts and it will sooner than they think. They will have to address their future revenue issue's.

On the ps4 their relying on DC universe, blacklight and warframe for revenue. Which they put a very large bite buying anything for those games. While they're nice looking games they do have a very limited appeal and they lack any real longevity. They stopped pushing those games on their site awhile ago. So what else do they have? Twitter, that spyware facebook? Which you can access on your cell or tablet so there not really needed. Netflix's looks great and its has a better bluray player. 

Meanwhile the online gaming is not better than the ps3. Yes call of duty and battlefield games are always very popular. You only have 2% participation in games like black flag. The other console will always have online gaming tied up. Because that's why gamers use that system.

So psn should stick to their strengths and home is their strength. If they could only open their eyes and see that again...

Added note; Why are we on UK time here? Have they already given up on this forum and home completely?

AlphaZone4.com | Home Item Database
Map
Map

Schlachlen-Haus fünf ................................

Please use plain text.
Message 2292 of 2,954 (523 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1195 posts

Mar 2, 2014

this thread is starting to remind me of this movie! 

original.gif
GIFSoup

How much longer dose PSHome have? The end is nigh friends!
I like R2 options!
Please use plain text.
Message 2293 of 2,954 (502 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4451 posts

Mar 2, 2014
Please use plain text.
Message 2294 of 2,954 (495 Views)
Treasure Hunter
8593 posts

Mar 2, 2014

strider367 wrote:

So psn is still depending on the ps3 for its daily sale numbers. Which relies heavily on what they sell on home. Those numbers are dropping rapidly. Simply because home users know this place has an expiration date on it. So why would anybody invest time and money on a dying program. The really low population on this forum shows how many people have already walk away from this thing.

Added note; Why are we on UK time here? Have they already given up on this forum and home completely?

I know all the Fanboys & girls say that we need Home for the PS4.  But I would like to know why?  "IF" Home was such a huge success why not make a newer and better VR world just for PS4 users?  Hopefully Sony has learned from a few of the mistakes they made with Home and not repeat history.  

So that is my easy question.  Why Home?  And not a newer VR world where Sony can use newer technology and not make the same mistakes as they did with Home.

I've not seen Sony try to save Home in a long time now.  It would be nice to still see core updates every now and then but we seem to have had more updates in the Closed Beta then we do know.

Folding@home Team #118000
GAPHome

General

Please use plain text.
Message 2295 of 2,954 (425 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
51 posts

Mar 2, 2014

strider367 wrote:

It would be a great loss for psn if this thing called home dies here. As I said before the ps4 is like a newborn babe. They are doing everything they can to keep it clean. So there's very little worth doing on it right now.

Most importantly the ps4 is not generating any real gaming revenue. So psn is still depending on the ps3 for its daily sale numbers. Which relies heavily on what they sell on home. Those numbers are dropping rapidly. Simply because home users know this place has an expiration date on it. So why would anybody invest time and money on a dying program. The really low population on this forum shows how many people have already walk away from this thing.

This downward trend would change immediately. If psn would realized how much they actually need home. A smart sony president would see as the ps4 is now years away of making any real profits. Yes their making huge profits which they desperately need with console sales. But when that bubble bursts and it will sooner than they think. They will have to address their future revenue issue's.

While it is certainly true that PS4 software sales are low, and that Sony is still depending on the PS3 to generate the lion's share of gaming revenue, this happens any time a new console is released. While Home still does bring in some revenue for Sony, they certainly aren't relying "heavily on what they sell on Home". Though no one can say what the exact numbers are since Sony has never shared any sort of statistics regarding usage or sales within Home, it's common knowledge that Home is well past its peak. You're greatly overstating Sony's "need" for PS Home. The PS3 still has plenty of games coming in the future, and software sales will continue to be strong for the system for a while. PS Home sales are but a small drop in the bucket.

strider367 wrote:

Meanwhile the online gaming is not better than the ps3. Yes call of duty and battlefield games are always very popular. You only have 2% participation in games like black flag. The other console will always have online gaming tied up. Because that's why gamers use that system.

So psn should stick to their strengths and home is their strength. If they could only open their eyes and see that again...

While I would agree that online gaming on the PS4 isn't "better" than on the PS3 yet, the PS4 is still very young. The fact that PS+ will be required for most online gaming on the PS4 will raise PS+ sales and generate revenue that will be used to improve the network.

And while I would agree that the competitor's online network is why some gamers prefer that system, to say they "will always have online gaming tied up" is somewhat preposterous. Firstly, the competitor's system and online network are only competitive in the North American market. Sony completely dominates in both Europe and Japan. Secondly, the fact that PS4's initial sales are so much greater than the Xbox One's sales could easily change things in the NA market.

While most people in this forum including myself would love to see Home continue for a long time to come, Sony and their PS4 console are in position to dominate the worldwide console market regardless of when PS Home shuts down.

Please use plain text.
Message 2296 of 2,954 (400 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
230 posts

[ Edited ]
Mar 4, 2014

Will Home be on PS4? Unfortunately, it seems very unlikely. Even as an avid PS Home user who loves the PS Home Community very much because it has been a big part of my life over the last few years, I understand why Sony would not develop PS Home for the PS4 and am OK with this decision. I actually don't even have a PS4 at the moment and am in no rush as I had other financial priorities around its launch since it was around the holidays, such as all the Christmas shopping I had to do for my family and then of course my daughter's birthday which was this past Tuesday. My PS3 is still working fine and I am able to play games and use PS Home on it, so that is good enough for me.:smileyhappy: Sure the PS4 has next-gen (shouldn't we be calling it current gen now? lol) graphics, etc., but there aren't that many games out for it yet and so I can wait. Most people I know who have a PS4 and still like PS Home, were able to afford to keep their PS3 as well so they could continue to use PS Home, which I think is great. Whenever I get a PS4, which probably won't be for a while, I intend to keep my PS3 so I can use PS Home and enjoy it for as long as it is around! :smileyhappy:

During GamerIndepth's first radio cast on PST Community Radio, a few members of the club shared their opinions on whether or not PS Home would be on the PS4 (read more here: http://gamerindepth.net/2014/02/gis-first-radio-cast-on-pst-community-radio/). Also, at a GI meeting a couple of weeks ago, we discussed this highly controversial topic. Just like TSFRJ said during that meeting, I think the reasons for Sony not creating PS Home for the PS4 does center around 2 key points:

1. It is not cost effective for Sony to develop PS Home for the PS4.  This has nothing to do with how much money has been made by PS Home which is a common argument I hear for PS Home being on the PS4. Because the PS4 is a new platform, creating PS Home for the PS4 would be the development of a new application for the PS4. This development would of course require a lot of money if the new application is to totally take advantage of the new PS4 platform and look as good as the games that are currently running on the PS4. So at this time, the amount of time and money it would take for such development far outweigh the benefits to Sony. Plus, all users would have to "start over" with their virtual personal spaces, clothes, etc., as nothing would port over to the new PS4 version. This is not to say that the current version of PS Home running on the PS3 couldn't run on the PS4 via some kind of emulator, but of course, it would not look as good as it should on the PS4 like current game titles running on that console. So until it becomes cost effective for Sony to build PS Home for the PS4, they won't.
  2. Unless not having PS Home on the PS4 creates a big rift in the gaming community such that PS4 sales are severely impacted, Sony will not consider building PS Home for the PS4.  At this point, I have not seen this happening. Gamers who are more interested in gaming than PS Home have already left PS Home and are perfectly happy with gaming on their new PS4. Gamers who felt strongly enough about wanting to continue to use PS Home have figured out a way to keep their PS3 in addition to buying a new PS4. There may be some who will not buy a PS4 unless it has PS Home on it, but it seems this is a very small percentage of the gaming community and not enough to conern Sony. The PS4 is currently still the number one selling next-gen console in the US and the world, so not having PS Home on it has not had any visible impact on PS4 sales. So unless this changes, I don't see any motivation for Sony to build PS Home for the PS4.

Again, I would of course love to see PS Home on the PS4 and it would make me enjoy having that console so much more, but I understand why Sony would not create the application for the PS4. I am still ok with this because I intend to have my PS3 for a long time and use PS Home on it until it is shut down, which unfortunately I've heard will be in a couple of years. So for now, I'm still a Happy Barbie! :smileyhappy:

TRISHA BO$$ BARBIE
MMMMMUUUUAH!!! :-*

Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/TBaby_84
My Google+: https://plus.google.com/+TrishaBaby
Pics on my Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/tbaby_84
My Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/DiamondGirlzFancy

2012 NYC Fashion Week Contest Contestant
2012 Maxim Gamer Girl Contestant
Please use plain text.
Message 2297 of 2,954 (375 Views)
Fender Bender
2933 posts

Mar 3, 2014

First off I want to say there is no place like Home. Nor will there be another if they let this place die. Second life and this avakin doesn't even come close. So any new variant that comes from the ashes of home to the ps4 will be welcome.

Home sales may be a drop in the bucket now and that is the blame of sony mismanagement. But not too long ago that was differently not the case. All businesses look at their sales numbers. When the decline started they should have acted accordingly. But of course they continued to ignore the obvious and this is where home is today.

The biggest decline in home sales has been in the last year. When they chose not to even mention home's future. But instead  they engaged in a very aggressive sales drive. Emptying their vaults of all the old stuff they didn't release in the past. This desperate attempt to milk us to the very end turned a lot of people off and made home into this partial ghost town we now have. Which of course could be turned around if they were a lot more smarter. Unfortunately they're not.

As far as online gaming your wrong. I've had a ps3 since early 2007. If you're into online gaming this has never been the place to be. Except the games I already mentioned COD, BF and even BL. Good luck finding anyone online gaming when using a ps3 and no different now with the ps4. I could go on with a long list of games that has had almost no online presence. Instead I will point out one because it really showed how bad online gaming here is.

Insomniac games Fuse, that was a disaster for them here. Surprisingly since they were exclusive to psn till this game. A four player co-op they released for both consoles. Problem was they scripted it that you had to use co-op to beat the level bosses. That was and still is a big problem today. But not a problem at all on the other console. 

The funniest thing that happened with the game was. A UK psn manager had to go to twitter, facebook and his own forums. To find people to play that game and he had only a little help. He did finish it but it was clear your not going to get much replayability with that game. Except when it goes to the $5 bin or free on plus then you will see more online activity. That is totally unacceptable for the avid online gamer.

That has never been a problem for the other console. No matter what game new or old you want to play. So its clear if you want online gaming 24/7 that's the place to go.

When people use console prejudice that shows their not really a gamer. I use everything but the wii, because I go where the gaming is. Whether PC or console they all have exclusives worth playing. So I write this as a gamer, not a fanboy...

LilithMorrigan wrote:

strider367 wrote:

While it is certainly true that PS4 software sales are low, and that Sony is still depending on the PS3 to generate the lion's share of gaming revenue, this happens any time a new console is released. While Home still does bring in some revenue for Sony, they certainly aren't relying "heavily on what they sell on Home". Though no one can say what the exact numbers are since Sony has never shared any sort of statistics regarding usage or sales within Home, it's common knowledge that Home is well past its peak. You're greatly overstating Sony's "need" for PS Home. The PS3 still has plenty of games coming in the future, and software sales will continue to be strong for the system for a while. PS Home sales are but a small drop in the bucket.

strider367 wrote:

While I would agree that online gaming on the PS4 isn't "better" than on the PS3 yet, the PS4 is still very young. The fact that PS+ will be required for most online gaming on the PS4 will raise PS+ sales and generate revenue that will be used to improve the network.

And while I would agree that the competitor's online network is why some gamers prefer that system, to say they "will always have online gaming tied up" is somewhat preposterous. Firstly, the competitor's system and online network are only competitive in the North American market. Sony completely dominates in both Europe and Japan. Secondly, the fact that PS4's initial sales are so much greater than the Xbox One's sales could easily change things in the NA market.

While most people in this forum including myself would love to see Home continue for a long time to come, Sony and their PS4 console are in position to dominate the worldwide console market regardless of when PS Home shuts down.

AlphaZone4.com | Home Item Database
Map
Map

Schlachlen-Haus fünf ................................

Please use plain text.
Message 2298 of 2,954 (350 Views)
First Son
4 posts

Home for ps4

Mar 3, 2014
BRING HOME TO PS4
Please use plain text.
Message 2299 of 2,954 (277 Views)
PlayStation MVP
3875 posts

Re: Home for ps4

Mar 3, 2014
Unfortunately Sony has no news to share and this thread will get merged with the ever growing Home on Ps4 thread. Its inevitable.
Please use plain text.
Message 2300 of 2,954 (272 Views)
0 Likes