Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Lombax Warrior
109 posts

Re: Home is the Ultimate marketing tool

Mar 16, 2007
How is it a scheme to make a game or product, then give it to consumers for them to pay for (or give free to start) in exchange for usage? Its a business Sony operates, and they don't do it to revolutionize the world - they do it to make a profit. Home is a tool to sell PS3's and then to make money off built in ads and add-on items. That isn't dubious in any way. How else do you expect them to cover costs and to make products if there is no method in which they make money?

Along the logic of this thread it would be a scheme to develop any game really. You make it to sell something - whether it be the disc itself, the tshirts, the controllers, the posters, the in-game items, the expansion packs, or the server time (WoW). Lots of games have free elements that take payments to get further along in your play - see Shot Online.

Message Edited by Dalai_Llama on 03-16-2007 10:38 AM
Duke
Gamertag: Dalai_Llama
XBL:NATO Duke
Message 11 of 14 (64 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5946 posts

Mar 16, 2007
There is many reasons.

If developers truly do what Sony expects them to do it would tie closer relationships with developers and Sony, ultimately then, the developers will come out with better games for the PS3.

Advertising is for profit--Yes. But it's also to pay for the fees that it costs to keep home running. It is free after all. Home is not going to be plastered with ads, like Phil said.
deep, titanic, make the dance panic, one-a-penny, two-a-penny, vibe you can't manage

My Hiscores | infrared Gaming Community
Message 12 of 14 (64 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3207 posts

Mar 16, 2007
Ads > Paying mothly

I dont want Ps3 to be like 360, thats how I got turn off on xboxs

Btw you see ad everywere in your town in real life and thats a way to get realism in Home
PS3 80GB July 27, 2008 - Feb 28.25, 2010 (was in a coma now alive)
My ps3 survive the Y2K10
Message 13 of 14 (64 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2570 posts

Mar 16, 2007
I don't know why people keep thinking the lobbies in home would be over run with ads. It's obvious that with roughly 64 people per lobby, Sony doesn't have to be so crude (as MS would if they had this, I'm sure) with ad placements. What we've seen of the ad placement in HOME lobbies looks fantastic and with hundreds of servers running ads constantly, Sony stands to do very, very well with this new marketing tool.

Anyway, can you imagine other websites inevitable jealousy when PS3 users get surprise anoucements of games or movies coming out before anyone else and pictures of a crowd of PS3 avatars around  jumbo tvs in lobbies on HOME watching the first glimpse to new vids and clips before other gaming sites get them. I can just see it now with headlines on forums like:  "PS3 users where pleasantly surprised to get the very first glimpse of the new Iron man movie/game. Though the trailer hasn't been released to other gaming sources as of yet, we're sure this clip will be up and available for all to view very soon. Until then, heres a pic of a crowd of PS3 avatars watching what looks like Iron man kicking some dudes butt"

Ohh man, I'm so stoked about this gen's PlayStation gaming wooooot!!!!
Message 14 of 14 (64 Views)
0 Likes