Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Mar 15 2007
By: TheOtis~ Survivor 2720 posts

Home is the Ultimate marketing tool

13 replies 11 views Edited Mar 15, 2007
I mean seriously.

Home is free, which is great. But just think about how many ads were going to see (Not a rediculous amount, but you have to figure out how much it costs for Sony to develope it and how online is free), and how much stuff we can buy for our virtual world.

If sony charges say 25 cents for a piece of furniture or pool table, and if their are 500,000 PS3 users currently online, and if every single person just buys one thing for 25 cents, that's soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much money right there. And they'll only make more.

Theirs going to be so much stuff to purchase, none of which is tangable. I can see people spending $50 of stuff for their online apartment. Sony's going to be makeing BANK off of this.

Anyone else have any thoughts on this? Anyone think this is just a money making scheem?

EDIT: I'm not trying to start any flaming or anything, just a disscussion on Sony's marketing and 3rd party marketing on Home.

Message Edited by TheOtis on 03-15-2007 02:11 PM
Owner of a 8800GTX and a 160gig PS3. Yes, I'm a gamer.

Games I'm buying within the next year-
-PC- Gears of War, Crysis, Quake Wars, Bioshock, Half Life Orange Box, Team Fortress 2.
-PS3- Unreal Tournament 3, MGS4, Gran Turismo 5, Haze, Killzone 2, DiRT, and Army of Two.
Message 1 of 14 (11 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
2184 posts

Re: Home is the Ultimate marketing tool

Mar 15, 2007
First of all, that's not marketing, that's revenue generation. Marketing is ad based, and hopes to lure the consumer into spending money on something they wouldn't otherwise spend it on. Revenue is straight cash money. And although you're right about it being a marketing BONANZA, I think you were more referring to its ability to make Sony some serious money, which is ALSO correct.
Playstation 3 from Target on 11/17/06: $649.49
Sony 480i/p 720p 1080i/p Projector: $5,000.00
Playing Resistance: Fall of Man on a high definition 200" screen: Priceless

Message 2 of 14 (11 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3750 posts

Mar 15, 2007
Well ya you're right in some ways but i doubt that Sony just made Home just for making money they did it to gain back their power in the gaming industry back frm ms just admit they have a huge fanbase but ya im not a ms fanboy or own a 360.
I had a sig but it was a couple years old so I removed it.
Message 3 of 14 (11 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2722 posts

Mar 15, 2007
I dont really think there looking for a profit. But more so to revolutionise gaming! Like 3d interaction over a gaming system! Thats sick,. Of course theres gonig to be advertising in it, but only to boost more sony products, and games. Not just games, like we can buy sony tvs! And there are ads that sony may have a part in.
PSN : PwnStar12 -
5.0L Mustang Owner

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Message 4 of 14 (11 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
20 posts

Mar 15, 2007

Bobert wrote:
I dont really think there looking for a profit. But more so to revolutionise gaming!

Hahahahaha! That's pretty funny.

I snipe with things I'm not supposed to snipe with.
Message 5 of 14 (11 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3158 posts

Mar 15, 2007
i'd like to make money off this thing too...oh,well.

Message 6 of 14 (11 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
8 posts

Mar 15, 2007
 I don't think that the only way for people to get stuff for their apartments in Home is to pay.  I'm sure achieving stuff in PS3 games will get you points that you can use to purchase stuff.  Also, there are a lot of people out their that wouldn't be willing to pay 25 cents because they just don't want to put their credit card number into their PS3 where it could be hacked.
Message 7 of 14 (11 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
2184 posts

Mar 16, 2007

rabidzebu wrote:
 I don't think that the only way for people to get stuff for their apartments in Home is to pay.  I'm sure achieving stuff in PS3 games will get you points that you can use to purchase stuff.  Also, there are a lot of people out their that wouldn't be willing to pay 25 cents because they just don't want to put their credit card number into their PS3 where it could be hacked.

Ahem, Playstation Cards, anyone? And no one is saying that paying is the only way to get furniture, it's just a way to get premium content...
Playstation 3 from Target on 11/17/06: $649.49
Sony 480i/p 720p 1080i/p Projector: $5,000.00
Playing Resistance: Fall of Man on a high definition 200" screen: Priceless

Message 8 of 14 (11 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
387 posts

Mar 16, 2007

TheOtis wrote:
I mean seriously.

Home is free, which is great. But just think about how many ads were going to see (Not a rediculous amount, but you have to figure out how much it costs for Sony to develope it and how online is free), and how much stuff we can buy for our virtual world.

If sony charges say 25 cents for a piece of furniture or pool table, and if their are 500,000 PS3 users currently online, and if every single person just buys one thing for 25 cents, that's soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much money right there. And they'll only make more.

Theirs going to be so much stuff to purchase, none of which is tangable. I can see people spending $50 of stuff for their online apartment. Sony's going to be makeing BANK off of this.

Anyone else have any thoughts on this? Anyone think this is just a money making scheem?

EDIT: I'm not trying to start any flaming or anything, just a disscussion on Sony's marketing and 3rd party marketing on Home.

Message Edited by TheOtis on 03-15-2007 02:11 PM

You got it right my friend. Me and a friend of mine had this discussion when it was official. Money making scheme is the wrong way to describe it though. It is business. Plain and simple. Great strategy by Sony In my opinion.Free to PS3 owners but still make a fortune(LOL)! I think the bulk of there revenue will come from advertisers who would definitely want to get there products across to millions of PS3 owners around the world. Then there will be the download content from all other Sony ventures.Such as there music and movie division's. Also the things you can purchase for your avatar. Right now things are slow but after a year and a half to two. Sony will have strangle hold on the industry. Just think of the potential PS3 exclusives because of Home! Developers will see the potential for advertising there future titles. Instead of charging these developers huge fee's to get on. Deals will be made for probably a certain amount of exclusives. Not a Sony fanboy but all I can say is wow(LOL)! They have there s**t together(LOL)!!!!!!!! 
Message 9 of 14 (11 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2722 posts

Mar 16, 2007

Bobert wrote:
I dont really think there looking for a profit. But more so to revolutionise gaming!

Hahahahaha! That's pretty funny.

Hows that funny? Its true! If they wanted money, they'd put a price on the download. even if its a 5 dollar dl, everyone would get it.... even just to try it. Thats about 5m by the times its launched, then theres home items....... if they wanted a profit, they can easliy get it
PSN : PwnStar12 -
5.0L Mustang Owner

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Message 10 of 14 (11 Views)
0 Likes