Game Mechanics Developer
190 posts

Re: Home: hand over fist - raking in the dough

Jul 10, 2013

HearItWow wrote:
Most small companies cannot stay in business if they're losing money. It's one thing to have a pet project on the side, and another to devote meager resources to a losing endeavor. Low overhead or not, there are still bills to pay.

We subsidize our Home work with other work. In the past others have done work for Sony doing the same. So far we have not heard about any possible work we could do for Sony so we do outside work.

All our Home work gets delayed because of it. Like you said, we have to pay the bills.

Message 101 of 122 (297 Views)
Treasure Hunter
5310 posts

Jul 10, 2013

GameMechanics wrote:

HearItWow wrote:
Most small companies cannot stay in business if they're losing money. It's one thing to have a pet project on the side, and another to devote meager resources to a losing endeavor. Low overhead or not, there are still bills to pay.

We subsidize our Home work with other work. In the past others have done work for Sony doing the same. So far we have not heard about any possible work we could do for Sony so we do outside work.

All our Home work gets delayed because of it. Like you said, we have to pay the bills.

That's a stronger answer to the question, particularly when it comes to things getting delayed.

And I don't recall saying that any developer was making a ton of money in Home. Quite the opposite, actually, but that they should at least be making enough money to stick around. In other words, it makes some level of business sense for them to do so.

I recall a list of devs who have outside projects, and I recall the topic of this thread being that Home is some sort of cash cow. It's not. I've been saying that for years.

Follow me on Twitter:
twitter.com/hearitwow

Watch past episodes:
HomeCast at HomeStation Magazine

Message 102 of 122 (259 Views)
Ghost of Sparta
12673 posts

Jul 10, 2013

D-Nitrate wrote:

HearItWow wrote:

D-Nitrate wrote:

GameMechanics wrote:

HearItWow wrote:

So why would developers still be working on Home if it didn't make business sense? That's kinda the crux of the argument here.

We do it because we like it. Others have made business decisions and left.

Exactly.  That and as HeartItWow should know as it's been brought up several times before, and is commonly known in just about every industry, many companies, especially small ones, try to succeed where others have failed.  It likely also explains why most of the big developers stopped supporting Home a long time ago, and what we have left are mostly very small companies with very little overhead, and that do not need to see huge returns to break even or justify allocating resources to a modest if not losing enterprise.

I for one thank you John for letting your passion rather than profits drive you to continue to support Home... I just wish Sony had done a much better job managing and promoting Home so that it could have had a better chance of having millions of active users, and not thousands.  I have no doubt you would have been very successful and rewarded for your hard work without having to charge inflated prices to make up for the lack of potential volume.

I'm still holding out hope Sony (or someone) can turn things around for Home.  It still has such amazing potential that even with some modest changes it could likely improve quite dramatically.

Did Mass Media, JetSet Games, Heavy Water, among many others leave Home because they were making too much money?  Seriously.  Do you even read what you post, or do you just enjoy arguing for argument sake?

I don't think Heavie never left home...same for Bigyama (another Home dev, now busy with a PSVita title. but i think they finished with that. let me tweet them)

i mean. Heavie very busy working on a Game Builder. with recreated PS Home Spaces...also forgot Emobear

photo AL2009manBanner2013_zpsd80ecc86.png
Message 103 of 122 (228 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
638 posts

Jul 16, 2013

GameMechanics wrote:

HearItWow wrote:

So why would developers still be working on Home if it didn't make business sense? That's kinda the crux of the argument here.

We do it because we like it. Others have made business decisions and left.

I'm glad to hear from you, GameMechanics. I like your products especially interactive active object items. The price is not terribly expensive. Your wooden picnic table is my favorite.

Message 104 of 122 (180 Views)
Game Mechanics Developer
190 posts

Jul 16, 2013

Tang_Ang wrote:

I'm glad to hear from you, GameMechanics. I like your products especially interactive active object items. The price is not terribly expensive. Your wooden picnic table is my favorite.

Supportive words are very helpful. We truly do this all for you all (and ourselves). We are Home gamers ourselves. Thanks!

Message 105 of 122 (163 Views)
Welcoming Committee
5401 posts

Jul 16, 2013

GameMechanics wrote:

Tang_Ang wrote:

Supportive words are very helpful. We truly do this all for you all (and ourselves). We are Home gamers ourselves. Thanks!

Ha! I had a suspicion you guys used Home in your spare time. It's noticeable because the feeling I get is that you really pay attention to the community and take onboard critiscm (good and bad).

I've said before, I like that you post here and are honest with us.  It's definitely refreshing to see a developer take this head on approach with us, more devs should take a leaf out of your book.

Kudos to you, GM!

I'm getting so horked up.

Legendary_Vicki's Sig

Message 106 of 122 (159 Views)
Welcoming Committee
4053 posts

Jul 16, 2013

GameMechanics wrote:

Tang_Ang wrote:

If I were a Home developer (could make stuff for Home) I'd be tempted to make myself a cool item and keep it just for my own personal use (unless that's against the rules, of course) Are you guys ever tempted to do that? :smileyhappy:

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 107 of 122 (149 Views)
Game Mechanics Developer
190 posts

Jul 16, 2013

JulianMatisse wrote:
If I were a Home developer (could make stuff for Home) I'd be tempted to make myself a cool item and keep it just for my own personal use (unless that's against the rules, of course) Are you guys ever tempted to do that? :smileyhappy:

We are, but the paperwork stops us. We will have some fun freebies and exclusives coming.

We always want to do things in as new a way as possible. If someone else has done something, no need to make a new version of the same thing. Which will be very apparent in our next big push. Just stay with us. It will be strange and complex, but always in favor of Home users.

Message 108 of 122 (143 Views)
Welcoming Committee
5401 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 16, 2013

GameMechanics wrote:

JulianMatisse wrote:

We are, but the paperwork stops us. We will have some fun freebies and exclusives coming.

We always want to do things in as new a way as possible. If someone else has done something, no need to make a new version of the same thing. Which will be very apparent in our next big push. Just stay with us. It will be strange and complex, but always in favor of Home users.

I hope this includes themed outfits, more Japanese themed items and some anime hair? :smileyvery-happy:

Edit* artwork? No idea what I was talking about lol :smileytongue:

I'm getting so horked up.

Legendary_Vicki's Sig

Message 109 of 122 (118 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4245 posts

Jul 16, 2013

JulianMatisse wrote:

Hmmmm I wonder what "item" Julian might be thinking of... Careful Julian, you might lose that "nice guy" rep you have deservedly earned in Home.  :smileywink:

Mya and Kitty may have to do a search on your computer for inappropriate material... And you don't want that to happen as they will just keep it for themselves. :smileyvery-happy:

Sony's PlayStation Home updated mission statement...

"Like it never happened"

- Stand for something better than mediocrity and don't disguise it as adequate, when clearly it is far from that to anyone willing to be objective and unbiased. -

Message 110 of 122 (109 Views)