Reply
Uncharted Territory
Registered: 12/01/2011
Offline
1398 posts
 

Re: Home: hand over fist - raking in the dough

Jul 10, 2013
...no wonder.. its in English.
Message 91 of 122 (241 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Survivor
Registered: 10/12/2008
Offline
2039 posts
 

Re: Home: hand over fist - raking in the dough

Jul 10, 2013
"You should engage in fair pricing to remain in everyone's purchase list."

I understand how you feel. But it's not always that simple. For example:

If I walk into GameStop and say "You should engage in fair pricing to remain in everyone's purchase list" to the store manager...his response would probably be something to the effect of "Uh...maybe you should get a second job, so you can afford that $60 game, bro." LOL

Personally, that being said...as far as Home items go...I'm not paying anymore than $10 on a virtual item. Even then, that purchase has to be justified to some degree. Your product has to be worth it. Like these new sneakers thats been coming out, from VeeMee. Im not payin for that crap. So as a consumer, it all just depends on how YOU, the developer can appeal to me. My needs and wants.
I'm A Shadow. One That No Light Will Shine On. As Long As You Follow Me....You Will Never See The Day.
Message 92 of 122 (240 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Game Mechanics Developer
Registered: 11/09/2012
Offline
190 posts
 

Re: Home: hand over fist - raking in the dough

Jul 10, 2013

MrFirstPlayer wrote:
You should engage in fair pricing to remain in everyone's purchase list.

Please point out examples.

Message 93 of 122 (237 Views)
First Son
Registered: 04/25/2013
Offline
10 posts
 

Re: Home: hand over fist - raking in the dough

Jul 10, 2013

"Home: hand over fist - raking in the dough"

 

ok... good for sony... but based on what?

 

*reads through op to find out what this claim is based on*

 

All i read in your op is a testomony to how much you enjoy ps home and also about how much money you spend on it, but that does not support your claim. Your op has no facts or statistics at all to show that you claim is valid

   Furthermore if home really was that profitable for sony surely they would move it to the successor of the platform its available on, yet they dedicated no time to demonstrating they were doing that even though they've showed it multiple times

Message 94 of 122 (227 Views)
Treasure Hunter
Registered: 10/01/2009
Offline
5310 posts
 

Re: Home: hand over fist - raking in the dough

Jul 10, 2013

D-Nitrate wrote:

GameMechanics wrote:

HearItWow wrote:

So why would developers still be working on Home if it didn't make business sense? That's kinda the crux of the argument here.


We do it because we like it. Others have made business decisions and left.


Exactly.  That and as HeartItWow should know as it's been brought up several times before, and is commonly known in just about every industry, many companies, especially small ones, try to succeed where others have failed.  It likely also explains why most of the big developers stopped supporting Home a long time ago, and what we have left are mostly very small companies with very little overhead, and that do not need to see huge returns to break even or justify allocating resources to a modest if not losing enterprise.

 

I for one thank you John for letting your passion rather than profits drive you to continue to support Home... I just wish Sony had done a much better job managing and promoting Home so that it could have had a better chance of having millions of active users, and not thousands.  I have no doubt you would have been very successful and rewarded for your hard work without having to charge inflated prices to make up for the lack of potential volume.

 

I'm still holding out hope Sony (or someone) can turn things around for Home.  It still has such amazing potential that even with some modest changes it could likely improve quite dramatically.


Most small companies cannot stay in business if they're losing money. It's one thing to have a pet project on the side, and another to devote meager resources to a losing endeavor. Low overhead or not, there are still bills to pay.

Follow me on Twitter:
twitter.com/hearitwow

Watch past episodes:
HomeCast at HomeStation Magazine

Message 95 of 122 (212 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Survivor
Registered: 10/12/2008
Offline
2039 posts
 

Re: Home: hand over fist - raking in the dough

[ Edited ]
Jul 10, 2013

Another thing to point out...

It's not always about microtransactions and weekly content.

Even if  I DO buy some virtual threads and maybe a new personal space...then what? How often do people actually hang out in personal spaces. MOST people like to linger around in the PUBLIC spaces, on Home. Flooding us with new stuff to buy, STILL doesnt really give us much to do.

Microtransactions is only HALF of the equation, here. Home needs more functionality. More features. Give us more new and exciting ways to interact with home and the people within it. More games would be nice, but then were right back to microtransactions with those too. You can play for free...but you gotta pay to win. Or pay to win faster, so that you dont have to grind so much. So...the game model is still a bit flawed, here.

Im talking about adding new functionalities like deeper interactions with other avatars. Being able to shake hands with another avatar, as opposed to just waving at them with an emote. Engaging in PDA such as hugs, kisses, dancing. Weapons that actually inflict some kind of damage to other avatars, temporary, of course.

A lot of these ideas actually derive from Second Life. Just take a look at what some of the developers are doing, over there. Bring some of those ideas over here, in Home. Take a look at some of the MMO's out there. Use these things as inspiration, when youre brainstorming for ideas.

Most of Home, falls on social aspects. People tend to migrate and flock to their friends and talk. But when that social atmosphere breaks down, people start to get bored and go find other things to do - off of Home.

The idea is to KEEP people on Home. Make them not want to get off. Make them not want to care about playing their games or movies. Make them late for work, or call in. LOL. Hold their interest for as long as possible. This will create excitement and enthusiasm and it will spread by word of mouth.

Believe it or not, there are actually MORE people out there that said "I tried Home a few times. I didnt see much to do on there. I got bored pretty fast...and I havent been back on it, since." <-----THESE are the people you need to convince. The rest of us already know Home is an awesome place to be. WE are your hardcore fans. Of course, were gonna keep coming back.

Im just saying...Home has gotten STALE. And when all the novelty wears off, it's just a social platform for people to chat. THAT alone wont sustain Home.

You developers should know this, by now.

I'm A Shadow. One That No Light Will Shine On. As Long As You Follow Me....You Will Never See The Day.
Message 96 of 122 (211 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
Registered: 12/01/2011
Offline
1398 posts
 

Re: Home: hand over fist - raking in the dough

Jul 10, 2013
There are only two ways to make more money: sell more units or raise the prices. Since we and most other developers are taking advantage of all the marketing opportunities in Home, the logical conclusion is that the only opportunity left is to raise prices. Not because we are greedy, but because we want to keep making things for Home.

Your own words...

Sell more units or raise the prices...
Take advantage of marketing opportunities...
The only logical connclusion left is to raise prices....
...we do it for the love (of money)<-- ok, those are mine...but you see what I'm saying.




Message 97 of 122 (209 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Game Mechanics Developer
Registered: 11/09/2012
Offline
190 posts
 

Re: Home: hand over fist - raking in the dough

Jul 10, 2013

MrFirstPlayer wrote:
...we do it for the love (of money)<-- ok, those are mine...but you see what I'm saying.



If we love money, we should go work anywhere else. A brand new tester in QA makes more than we do.

Message 98 of 122 (191 Views)
Treasure Hunter
Registered: 03/12/2007
Offline
4245 posts
 

Re: Home: hand over fist - raking in the dough

Jul 10, 2013

HearItWow wrote:

D-Nitrate wrote:

GameMechanics wrote:

HearItWow wrote:

So why would developers still be working on Home if it didn't make business sense? That's kinda the crux of the argument here.


We do it because we like it. Others have made business decisions and left.


Exactly.  That and as HeartItWow should know as it's been brought up several times before, and is commonly known in just about every industry, many companies, especially small ones, try to succeed where others have failed.  It likely also explains why most of the big developers stopped supporting Home a long time ago, and what we have left are mostly very small companies with very little overhead, and that do not need to see huge returns to break even or justify allocating resources to a modest if not losing enterprise.

 

I for one thank you John for letting your passion rather than profits drive you to continue to support Home... I just wish Sony had done a much better job managing and promoting Home so that it could have had a better chance of having millions of active users, and not thousands.  I have no doubt you would have been very successful and rewarded for your hard work without having to charge inflated prices to make up for the lack of potential volume.

 

I'm still holding out hope Sony (or someone) can turn things around for Home.  It still has such amazing potential that even with some modest changes it could likely improve quite dramatically.


Most small companies cannot stay in business if they're losing money. It's one thing to have a pet project on the side, and another to devote meager resources to a losing endeavor. Low overhead or not, there are still bills to pay.


That's right, and so some have left, some have moved on, and some likely make enough to keep trying.  You got your question answered by a long standing dev of Home, and he told you why at least he still tries to make a go of it developing for Home, but you do not seem to want to accept it.  What exactly are you now trying to convince us of?

 

Did Mass Media, JetSet Games, Heavy Water, among many others leave Home because they were making too much money?  Seriously.  Do you even read what you post, or do you just enjoy arguing for argument sake?

Sony's PlayStation Home updated mission statement...


"Like it never happened"


- Stand for something better than mediocrity and don't disguise it as adequate, when clearly it is far from that to anyone willing to be objective and unbiased. -

Message 99 of 122 (184 Views)
Treasure Hunter
Registered: 03/12/2007
Offline
4245 posts
 

Re: Home: hand over fist - raking in the dough

Jul 10, 2013

GameMechanics wrote:

MrFirstPlayer wrote:
...we do it for the love (of money)<-- ok, those are mine...but you see what I'm saying.



If we love money, we should go work anywhere else. A brand new tester in QA makes more than we do.


That can't be true, based on the 'insider' knowledge from HearItNow you are all doing great otherwise you wouldn't still be supporting Home.  :smileywink:

 

I for one am thankful you are still supporting Home, but I really hope things change for the better and soon, as I'm worried we all are going to lose out if and when Home shuts down.

Sony's PlayStation Home updated mission statement...


"Like it never happened"


- Stand for something better than mediocrity and don't disguise it as adequate, when clearly it is far from that to anyone willing to be objective and unbiased. -

Message 100 of 122 (183 Views)