Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Sep 22 2009
By: jiggyteddy Ghost of Sparta 15807 posts

Home Security Breaches and You

224 replies 57 views Edited Sep 22, 2009

PLAYSTATION®Network - Complaint Form - User Information

Gameshare Risk

With the increasing outbreak of scamming and victims, I think people should seriously not gameshare no matter how tempting the offer is.

You will get sob stories from the perp and harrassment... but don't appease by giving in. If you do that, you have opened up a very bad door which has greater ramifications than you think.

They have gotten to quite a few beta testers, but they don't stop there. They don't care if you are a tester. It might have initially been testers were targeted more, but with more new content released on the PS Store, normal users are just as good. Many of us make purchases and these people are trying to free load.

Sony, what started off as a great idea... is now shooting you in the foot.

The scammers may even pose as one of the testers and entice you by sharing the beta with you... but be careful. You might not be the scammer, but you are also participating in this act of fraud. It works both ways. And not just that, but once you have exchanged your information, you have already compromised yourself. You have just opened the door to your account being hijacked. But don't worry... there are consequences. But the possible headache will be a hassle.

Please use the complaint form on top.

PSN and email scams will now ramped up again. Logic tells you that they will be out in full force especially with the theme invite system they are implementing. So be vigilant, but most importantly be cautious of any person asking for information in regards to your account. Obviously, they are not who they seem. So please be sure to utilize the Network Complaint form!

Yes this has been done numerous times before... but I felt as if there was a need to because some people just don't understand the trouble it has caused some members here. No need to mention names here. Just report them with the complaint form. Bookmark it, you never know when you might need it! I know I have.

It would be reported as "criminal activity" because identity theft is a major problem. There are major ramifications for this, so scammers beware. I hope you guys know what you are getting into.

The Use of a "Credible" Publication

This is a new one that I have been alerted to by some friends today on PSN.

Apparently, the scammer has resorted to a new tactic.  Instead of using "home beta" as part of the user name in sending the pm... a couple have reported a "IGN REDGE" today.  Note, that the scammer is probably using the IGN name for credibility reasons since he/she might feel that the "home beta" moniker has been exhausted.  Nice try ass.  You have gone from lying about being a representative for home to lying to being a representative for another company.

I hope you get everything coming towards you.  Not only is using "home" or "Sony" in your name not enough, you now have to smear other companies in your scheme.  What does that mean?  You now meddled in someone else's business now since you have in effect commited "slander" against that other company.

Nice, you just doubled your liability.   

Now this one is for those that leak, which also is a breach... this goes to the leaking loser testers.

There are repercussions, as all the vet testers know.  You will ask for the ban hammer on your ass.  We're not talking just a home beta ban, but you're asking for the PSN ban.  Sucks?  Yep.... for you.  But you did think about that possible ramification right? 

Oh and by the way, that ban goes for scammer and violator of the NDA.  So keep that in mind ask yourself if it is worth it.

And as always, remember this golden rule: Sony will NEVER ask you for you log in and password. EVER.

Message Edited by jiggyteddy on 09-21-2009 09:40 PM
Please use plain text.
Message 223 of 225 (57 Views)
Lombax Warrior
251 posts

Re: Home Security Breaches and You

Jul 7, 2008
something like this should be sticky'd, awesome post. If I could give Kudo's I would
Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 225 (57 Views)
Umbrella Scientist
14072 posts

Jul 7, 2008
This should be stickied. Good info.
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 225 (57 Views)
Wastelander
715 posts

Jul 7, 2008
Right on big Tedd let kno yo
anubyss
Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 225 (57 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
668 posts

Jul 7, 2008
This could be a sticky. If I could Kudo you I would.

80GB PS3
Burnout Paradise/RockBand/MGS4/GT5P/Warhawk/Motorstorm/Blazing Angels
PSN ID: ThermalEvo
Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 225 (57 Views)
Ghost of Sparta
15807 posts

Jul 7, 2008

Thanks.  Frosty already did something along these lines talking about securing your password.

I'm coming from a different angle--gamesharing.  Great idea on paper, but bound to be abused.  This is the easiest way an account gets hijacked.  

I used to think it was used to get the beta.  Now I feel like it is used to get everything else--with the beta as the lure.  

Good luck everyone, and report any abuse and scamming that is attempted on you.

You would be doing all of us a favor as well. 

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 225 (57 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2261 posts

Jul 7, 2008

teddynlivia wrote:

PLAYSTATION®Network - Complaint Form - User Information

With the increasing outbreak of scamming and victims, I think people should seriously not gameshare no matter how tempting the offer is.

You will get sob stories from the perp and harrassment... but don't appease by giving in. If you do that, you have opened up a very bad door which has greater ramifications than you think.

They have gotten to quite a few beta testers, but they don't stop there. They don't care if you are a tester. It might have initially been testers were targeted more, but with more new content released on the PS Store, normal users are just as good. Many of us make purchases and these people are trying to free load.

Sony, what started off as a great idea... is now shooting you in the foot.

The scammers may even pose as one of the testers and entice you by sharing the beta with you... but be careful. You might not be the scammer, but you are also participating in this act of fraud. It works both ways. And not just that, but once you have exchanged your information, you have already compromised yourself. You have just opened the door to your account being hijacked.  But don't worry... there are consequences.  But the possible headache will be a hassle.

Please use the complaint form on top.

Yes this has been done numerous times before... but I felt as if there was a need to because some people just don't understand the trouble it has caused some members here. No need to mention names here. Just report them with the complaint form. Bookmark it, you never know when you might need it! I know I have.

And as always, remember this golden rule: Sony will NEVER ask you for you log in and password. EVER.

Message Edited by teddynlivia on 07-07-2008 10:44 AM

Werent you the same person that said "too bad so sad" when it comes to gamesharing? Why would you care now?

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 225 (57 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
15807 posts

Jul 7, 2008

Hacker117 wrote:

Werent you the same person that said "too bad so sad" when it comes to gamesharing? Why would you care now?

Yep.  I am. 

However, there are those that are posing as beta testers and don't even have access.  And that is slander.  And the ones that do have access--thanks for ruining it for all.   

It is those gamesharing scumbags that I am bringing the heat on.   

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 225 (57 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2261 posts

Jul 7, 2008

teddynlivia wrote:

Hacker117 wrote:

Yep.  I am. 

However, there are those that are posing as beta testers and don't even have access.  And that is slander.  And the ones that do have access--thanks for ruining it for all.   

Way to sell out your beliefs teddy. I think if a beta tester is stupid enough to give his info (even though that would break the tos that they agreed to) with credit card information still on there, then they obviously arent smart enough to beta test.. whatever beta testers definition of "testing" is. This thread is pointless. Thats like me saying "if a stranger says hes going to give you candy if you get in his car, dont do it", it might have been good when we were five, but I think we are a little bit more mature then that. Someone lock this up.

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 225 (57 Views)
Ghost of Sparta
15807 posts

Jul 7, 2008

Hacker117 wrote:

teddynlivia wrote:

Hacker117 wrote:

Yep.  I am. 

Way to sell out your beliefs teddy. I think if a beta tester is stupid enough to give his info (even though that would break the tos that they agreed to) with credit card information still on there, then they obviously arent smart enough to beta test.. whatever beta testers definition of "testing" is. This thread is pointless. Thats like me saying "if a stranger says hes going to give you candy if you get in his car, dont do it", it might have been good when we were five, but I think we are a little bit more mature then that. Someone lock this up.

Sell out my beliefs?  If you want to talk about maturity... how about lying to get into the beta?

We all know that there is an age restriction... but do you have any idea how many people lie in their profiles?  And then it makes it nearly impossible for any legal ramifications.

Did I not say I hate gamesharing?  Where did I go back on that?  Do I respect every beta tester?  Of course not, definitely not once they break the code.  

As far as the definition, who dictates the definition?  Where am I not making any sense?  If there is a peeve of mine, it is selling out.   

If you have something to say, then do it.  You know me by now Hacker, I don't beat around the bush. 

Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 225 (57 Views)
0 Likes