Survivor
2284 posts

Re: Home Genders

Nov 26, 2010

I will probably get flamed for saying this, but here's the truth: most of the men in Home who say they just like to talk to women, nothing else is intended - just conversation, are kidding themselves.  I have tried this out repeatedly over the past 3 months:  I sit on a bench in CP.  I say hello to everyone who approaches.  EVERYONE.  They get close enough to take a look, they see the gray hair and age lines in the face, and they either turn and run or say something very rude and hurtful.  That was my initial motivation to write the magazine article about Prejudice in Home.  Then, along comes a girl friend avatar, sits with me, and suddenly all those 'conversationalists' return.  They act respectful.  They try to carry on an intelligent conversation - I will concede that.  And they usually wait at least 5 minutes before they start asking my friend if she is married, already has a bf in Home, etc.  So,  don't hand me that BS about, "I just want to be friends", fellows.  And don't insult me further by saying, "I just enjoy talking to women" - I may be old but I am not dead - and I CAN carry on a good conversation so you don't have to run me out of Home just because I am no longer your idea of potential romance.

Message 71 of 109 (8 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
729 posts

Nov 26, 2010

Keara22HI wrote:

I will probably get flamed for saying this, but here's the truth: most of the men in Home who say they just like to talk to women, nothing else is intended - just conversation, are kidding themselves.  I have tried this out repeatedly over the past 3 months:  I sit on a bench in CP.  I say hello to everyone who approaches.  EVERYONE.  They get close enough to take a look, they see the gray hair and age lines in the face, and they either turn and run or say something very rude and hurtful.  That was my initial motivation to write the magazine article about Prejudice in Home.  Then, along comes a girl friend avatar, sits with me, and suddenly all those 'conversationalists' return.  They act respectful.  They try to carry on an intelligent conversation - I will concede that.  And they usually wait at least 5 minutes before they start asking my friend if she is married, already has a bf in Home, etc.  So,  don't hand me that BS about, "I just want to be friends", fellows.  And don't insult me further by saying, "I just enjoy talking to women" - I may be old but I am not dead - and I CAN carry on a good conversation so you don't have to run me out of Home just because I am no longer your idea of potential romance.

I completely agree here, I don't know how many times I have been told, "i just wanna be friends" or "I'm new here". Then why can't you make friends with males? And why does it matter if I"m single or not? Or really, the age?

Sometimes I'll admit I add them out of pity because they seem decent. Then later I get a nasty picture I didn't ask for that I have to delete and report. Or normal picture, but then they beg for mine in return and a facebook. Ridiculous. Quit trying to collect girls.

Message 72 of 109 (8 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
200 posts

Nov 26, 2010

Keara22HI wrote:

Just about spot on... but not all guys are the same. I don't care about what race someone is, or how old. I have a good friend that I met through an MMO, and she is 63. We're facebook pals now and we chat it up or talk on vent every now and then.

Most men prefer to talk to females. It's in our genetic code. Like someone pointed out before, we can talk to guys all we want when playing games like CoD or SSF4.

But let me point this out... while we're talking about the dudes looking to e-score with the women of home, women can be quite judgemental themselves. In fact, I tend to just stick with the small group of friends I have now because as soon as I spew a few words to a female avatar, they react with either walking away or "whatever perv." Though just like the men of Home, not all females are the same. I have come to a conclusion that the best way to meet others and engage in conversation is to do so with one of my female friends. It brings balance to the clusterfuh that is Playstation Home.

Message 73 of 109 (8 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2284 posts

Nov 26, 2010

Yeah - you are right, Lumar.  I regretted it as soon as I hit that 'Post' button.  I should have mentioned that some of my closest friends in Home are men.  The really great guys are the ones I met playing poker in the EA poker rooms, playing Reversi on the Mui Mui ship, klenting with my wonderful Homeling buddies, and hanging out with pals I had originally met playing online games.   I have also met some terrific guys who did stick around for the conversation and some very kind sweet gay guys who really do enjoy talking to women.  So, to be fair to the male 'gender', there are some wonderful men in Home.  It just takes some work to dig them out.  That's why I will continue to say "Hello, let's chat" to one and all.

I also got my head handed to me yesterday (comment on my article in the magazine) by a gay who objected to me saying 'sexual preferences' instead of 'sexual orientation'.  So this is my public apology to him.  My only excuse is, at the age of 72, neither of those terms were being used when I was in school.  But having spent a lifetime meeting and befriending a lot of wonderful people whose sexual orientation is not the majority of society's version of the 'norm', he certainly has a valid point.  I don't think I have met anyone who would have chosen to be mistreated so vilely by society over a "preference".  Maybe that is why this thread has proven to be such a hot topic in the Forum.

Now - very thoughtfully - I am pushing the Post button....

Message 74 of 109 (8 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4424 posts

Nov 26, 2010

I have to admit but in all my time on Home I do see the same thing over and over again! Guys don't get talk to! I can sit on a bench in the Central Plaza for 15 minutes as a male avatar and no one would come to talk to me. Yet I can put on the Female avatar I get a line in each direction of me? Now I can understand that most gamers are guys but I think Home is catering to non girl gamers as well. You see it by the games they play. Most women that I talk to end up being housewives looking to pass the time and they find the socializing fun!

I think also for males it is the idea dream to have a Woman or Girl just as interested in games as well as them! Most women don't understand a guy's need to play videogames, most find it pointless. Yet if you found a girl that you can play games together it would be Heaven On Earth!

For me it would be awesome if I can play a game of God of War and have a girl just having about the same amount of fun watching it and then playing it too!

So guys who do have females avatars are just portraying that side of them that wants a girl of the same interests! For me I quess I enjoy having a female avatar compared to male avatar is well I love the way she looks, I created her!

Am I annoyed with guys hitting on me, Hell Yes. Some of the comments that guys give me when they think I am girl are just as lame as can lame can get, yet there are some clever lines that I hear from time to time!

I have some conversation Killers that I sort of live by, if a guy starts off with some comments about my avatars body, other than you have a nice avatar or you have style, than I consider the conversation dead to start!

If you ask me my name I will give you my psn name that is above my head! I just think the whole name thing is not needed to start off a virtual reality relationship!

If you ask me to follow you somewhere more private to chat I will tell you to have fun with yourself and I am staying here!

God honestly I can see why women get really freak out by guys on Home because most of them are creeps!

Now the question layed out in the OP thread is Age and Gender should matter. I can tell you that Age does matter in some respect because of LAWS and maturity. Now I meet a 13 old kid who loved God of War and when he told me that he was 13 and he wanted to be my friend, I told him that I could not be his on his list because he was too young. That would be the same if a 13 year old girl wanted to be on my list!

Now if I had known you in REAL LIFE or church or something like that I would be okay because I would know the parents and they would know me and they would know my character and nature! Yet when you get on the internet it becomes a whole different set of rules and moral codes. Just be mindful of each situation!

With Gender I don't care. You can be a male, female, straight or gay, or guy with a female avatar, or female with male avatar. To me it's irrelevant to me. As long as I get treated with respect and I treat you with respect than thats all I can care for with my time on Home!

I

photo 512d0aca-9476-4802-855d-3554158e2e5e_zps0b4ea223.jpg
Message 75 of 109 (8 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6846 posts

Nov 27, 2010

It's definitely great to see the discussion and different views on this topic.

Now though, we all know we have different opinions and tastes and likes and dislikes. Nothing is wrong with that at all. If someone prefers talking to a specific gender, then that's fine. I say they're limiting themselves of some possibly awesome friendships and everything, but hey that's their perrogative.

My main problem is not that people have different tastes and likes and dislikes. It's not even so much if they are downright wrong (as if saying ALL men are sexual "hunters" and slaves to natural sexual urges), but rather my problem comes when people begin attacking and criticizing and judging others based on different tastes. In other words, believing that a person who has a like or dislike (innocent one, not talking about those who "like" to do something wrong) is somewhat of a lesser person.

In home we see so many people judging others based on their gender. They assume that person is this or that way before they even know that person, too. That is the type of thing that ruins the whole social aspect of Life and Home. By judging, I don't mean making observations, but rather offensively and negatively viewing others based on their gender in real life or their avatar's "gender."

For those who believe males are some sort of slave to their natural desires, then I beg you to look at me and view me in AWE because I must be the only anomoly in the world, since I am not that way. Of course I always knew I was different I like the term "peculiar" better though.

I boils down to simply respecting one another no matter the gender or age, don't you think?

"I want to fly, into the sky
Turn my back on this whole world and leave it all behind
This place is not my home. It's got nothing for me
Only leaves me with emptiness And tears in my eyes"

PSMVP: Motivated. Vigilant. Passionate.
Message 76 of 109 (8 Views)
Wastelander
566 posts

Apr 13, 2011

I don't care what gender the person behind the avi is as long as they aren't lying and saying they are something that they are not. I walk around as a guy sometimes, so what? As long as I'm having fun with my friends I don't give a hoot and nither do they. lol

Message 77 of 109 (8 Views)
First Son
31 posts

Apr 13, 2011

ok man!

Message 78 of 109 (8 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
566 posts

Apr 13, 2011

hayder654 wrote:

ok man!

LOL xD

Message 79 of 109 (8 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
421 posts

Apr 14, 2011

Too many people stereotype in Home against the gender avatars and it makes me sick. But I do realize the ones who stereotypes are the young ones 15-25 or something. Or immature adults when a female changes to a male they assume it’s a male then start calling them harsh names. What if someone turns into a dog or cat, are they really an animal? It’s so ridiculous.

Message 80 of 109 (8 Views)
0 Likes