Jan 24 2013
By: julie_love Fender Bender 2040 posts

Home Community - How SHOULD Sony make money from Home?

37 replies 763 views Edited Jan 24, 2013

It seems that any time a change is announced to increase revenue from PS Home there are a lot of complaints from part of the community. Some of that feedback is constructive, and some isn't.

Sony uses a 'loss leader' model to make money from their console sales. Every console from the PS1 to the PS3 has been sold for less than it actually costs to manufacture the console. Sony then makes money on game sales and licensing from Netflix, Amazon etc and that makes up the difference for what they lose on console sales. Sony knows how to sell consoles. The PS3 is now the 4th best selling console in history after the PS2, PS1 and Wii.

It's obvious that Sony wants Home to generate more revenue.

If you had a chance to sit down with the Home marketing team and give them some recommendations on how to increase revenue from Home what would you recommend?

Here are a couple of recommendations from me on how to generate more revenue:

First, I'd recommend that they start marketing Home outside of Home. The last time I can recall Home being promoted by someone from Sony outside of Home or the Playstation community is when The Hub was released. I know budgets are tight, but how much does it cost to contact journalists and talk about how great Home is? 

I think they should target more casual gamers that might not have heard about Home and talk to the strengths of Home. They'd probably even sell some more consoles in that way.

Second, I think they should be working on promoting Home within the Playstation community. Home used to be mentioned in keynotes at E3 and other major gaming events. I'm not sure why that was stopped, but I don't see how interest and buzz can be created if no one is promoting Home publicly to the gaming community.

What do you think Sony should be doing to generate more revenue from Home? There have been multiple threads about what people DON'T like about what's being done so let's keep this thread about what they SHOULD be doing.

Message 1 of 38 (763 Views)
PlayStation MVP
4476 posts

Re: Home Community - How SHOULD Sony make money from Home?

Jan 24, 2013
They should take existing content, increase the price, and make it gold.

I agree with your points though. I think they stopped since most of the gaming community shunned home at the very start. Now they only promote on the blog with new content.
Message 2 of 38 (743 Views)
I Only Post Everything
780 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 24, 2013

Video game related content, a less laggy experience and better marketing (Home really only advertises for itself, not an outside market).

Really though, Home is kind of stuck in limbo. It wants to be both a social and gaming medium, but does both poorly. I think the next systems to arrive are going to stray away from improving actual video games and focus more on the social aspect of gaming, basically turning console gaming into just facebook & twitter. Hopefully it doesn't occur, because consoles are what hold gaming up nowadays, though it's a shame.

Message 3 of 38 (740 Views)
Limit Breaker
16565 posts

Jan 24, 2013

Appreciate the effort but I don't know anything about business and I would just muck it up. Home has had a pretty good run and it's still here so I think they know better. BUT, since you went through the trouble of posting I'll say this. Sony should continue making their product their way and sprinkle in reasonable wants from the community.

HomeStationMagazine
Message 4 of 38 (714 Views)
Fender Bender
2040 posts

Jan 24, 2013

Melpoe wrote:

Video game related content, a less laggy experience and better marketing (Home really only advertises for itself, not an outside market).

Really though, Home is kind of stuck in limbo. It wants to be both a social and gaming medium, but does both poorly. I think the next systems to arrive are going to stray away from improving actual video games and focus more on the social aspect of gaming, basically turning console gaming into just facebook & twitter. Hopefully it doesn't occur, because consoles are what hold gaming up nowadays, though it's a shame.

Hardcore gamers may shun Home, but I think that most of the people that love Home are more casual gamers. Many casual gamers have money to spend and for those that don't there is the free side of Home.

I agree about turning Home into a kind of facebook for gamers. There is already a Facebook for that.

Message 5 of 38 (685 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
780 posts

Jan 24, 2013

julie_love wrote:

Melpoe wrote:

Hardcore gamers may shun Home, but I think that most of the people that love Home are more casual gamers. Many casual gamers have money to spend and for those that don't there is the free side of Home.

I agree about turning Home into a kind of facebook for gamers. There is already a Facebook for that.

Us gamers, right? XDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

I think that alone is what's wrong with gaming nowadays. People try so **bleep** hard to define themselves and to be apart of a "crowd" that people stop knowing what they actually like, and instead go with the vast majority consensus. Using the term hardcore, casual, gaymer, grrrrrrl gamer and so on and so forth. 

Oh yeah, this is about Home. Why fix what isn't moderately broken, right? Home seems to be doing just fine. I think Jers has the right, realistic idea.

Message 6 of 38 (668 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
1947 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 24, 2013

EVERYTHING on Home is advertisement... be it for Sony, a 3rd party dev, or companies such as game devs, AXE, etc. Advertisement is profit, without overcomplicating numbers, money is made on both sides, and has always been a part of business.

Home used to regularly have 3rd party content from sources outside the 'usual' companies like LKWD, nDreams, etc. and have promotions from Sprint, 7-11, video games, Subway, and so on. Sprint's yellow high-top shoes are a popular rarity, Subway coolers still litter Home spaces, and all Home regulars who've seen more than a year here remember and/or have something from 7-11 promos.
Seen alot of people wear the XI tshirt lately as they've been playing Xi 2? Makes you curious to play if you haven't already?

All Home really needs is a new management team that will spend more time actively seeking out opportunities to keep other parties involved, and bringing in new ones. It gives both parties advertisement as "Omg that item by ____ is so cool on Home, go check it out", and as it's sold, won, or however it is obtained, money is exchanged through the rights of use for the copyrighted material. Red Bull was let go with no word on the effort behind it, even though they had just recently updated the space, as such that was probably a loss on both sides as they could've kept the space active and refigured it to the new management at Red Bull's liking for profit... as I don't recall hearing people having much negative to say about Red Bull's involvement in Home. :/

Basically... Home needs more ads, in the form of promotional events, items, and spaces, with a team of Home staff more actively seeking out such 'ads' to promote Home and 3rd parties. People joke about Home becoming slathered in billboards and t-shirts, all having logos and slogans... but who doesn't have a Favorite tab on something made as a promotional item? It's good for us, good for Home, and good for everybody's wallet.

On a personally related note: The Kuma helmet has done that for friends of mine who left Home, but still on rare occasion check in. I told them about a Deadmau5 similar helmet that they should check out because it has multiple colors for 1 purchase, and glows. Bam, they stuck around more than 5 minutes, and are a tad more regular because of it. What would happen if 7-11 started their promos with items that everybody wanted at least 1 item from again? Maybe it's just me, but I remember alot of users coming around to collect that stuff.

I don't budlist-add on forums, and blank PSN requests get ignored!
Missing Rewards -over a year old, still never fixed! 3-4 months worth of items still MIA.
Message 7 of 38 (632 Views)
Limit Breaker
16565 posts

Jan 24, 2013

Melpoe, My post was how I think about gaming in general. Companies create what they want. it's their hard work and money and theirs to lose. Many people chime in on how things should be and constructive feedback is a great way to help make a better product. That said, You have to agree that with feedback comes decisions to be made and not everyone will be happy with it. We do not see everything that producers see.

I know that if we had a chance to see every aspect of how everything is done for Home we just might think differently. It's a business from the ground up'

HomeStationMagazine
Message 8 of 38 (617 Views)
Sackboy
416 posts

Jan 24, 2013

Selling items makes sense to me.  They seem to have evolved into what I was expecting.  I imagine that they tried many things, eventually settling on the idea that item sales brings in the most money, then acted accordingly.

Message 9 of 38 (575 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
6053 posts

Jan 24, 2013

They should make an over 18 Home and charge a yearly subscription. No laws, no rules, a space for the hackers, glitchers and me...:smileytongue:

And while they're at it, make an over 18 forum also.

Message 10 of 38 (543 Views)