Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Reply
PlayStation MVP
Registered: 02/01/2003
Online
3170 posts
 

Re: Home Community - How SHOULD Sony make money from Home?

[ Edited ]
Jan 24, 2013

My Theory: If Sony really wanted to increase revenue, they would make the avatar a mandatory digital representation on the XMB, akin to the avatar system on Xbox Live. Having a forced presence would make the advertising investment worthwhile to gaming corporations and other entities looking to push their brand, as I can only imagine the conversion rate of in-Home advertising to real world purchases isn't the greatest (I would be curious to know who went out and bought Axe body spray or a ticket to see TED purely because of the Home related promotion), and the reach of advertising in a closed virtual world is inherently limited to reach of that world's audience. Those advertisements won't extend beyond the Home crowd, unless you force it upon everyone.

Message 11 of 38 (319 Views)
Welcoming Committee
Registered: 11/12/2010
Online
9443 posts
 

Re: Home Community - How SHOULD Sony make money from Home?

Jan 24, 2013
We were progressing along quite steadily and well until the Hub update in NA. I would wager EU and JP have been the perfect examples in different ways to how to make Home successful and popular. Their really are a ton of users seemingly there and they still incorporate Sony music, movie and game promos on the regular while splashing in popular culture like Total Recall or Anime franchises respectively. I always wanted Home to be my link to my friends while promoting mostly game related content and having game related experiences. The decline of that in our server since last year and other game related goodies (preorders costumes, etc) have made me wonder why I still am here at times. But it is what you make of it and I still have years worth of old content to keep me happy :smileyhappy:
I like all of your suggestions though Julie I have always thought those points should be implemented, but we live in a server where the mall still has a kiosk up holding LAST springs' content in it, and is seemingly a weekly error farm so I wouldnt hold my breath really.
Support Forums
Message 12 of 38 (309 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
Registered: 03/06/2012
Offline
264 posts
 

Re: Home Community - How SHOULD Sony make money from Home?

Jan 24, 2013

a bodyshop, more creation on body n face, makeup, etc. more colour options. a bodyshop package be add on to wardrobe , be grrrrrrrrrr8

meow meow
Message 13 of 38 (306 Views)
I Only Post Everything
Registered: 04/16/2011
Offline
1011 posts
 

Re: Home Community - How SHOULD Sony make money from Home?

Jan 24, 2013
Hmmm...
Fix stability and move it out of beta first, I think...
Message 14 of 38 (269 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Fender Bender
Registered: 03/31/2010
Offline
2040 posts
 

Re: Home Community - How SHOULD Sony make money from Home?

Jan 24, 2013

ck2875 wrote:

My Theory: If Sony really wanted to increase revenue, they would make the avatar a mandatory digital representation on the XMB, akin to the avatar system on Xbox Live. Having a forced presence would make the advertising investment worthwhile to gaming corporations and other entities looking to push their brand, as I can only imagine the conversion rate of in-Home advertising to real world purchases isn't the greatest (I would be curious to know who went out and bought Axe body spray or a ticket to see TED purely because of the Home related promotion), and the reach of advertising in a closed virtual world is inherently limited to reach of that world's audience. Those advertisements won't extend beyond the Home crowd, unless you force it upon everyone.


That would generate more traffic, that's for sure. PS3 has sold over 70 million worldwide, last time it was publicly announced in 2011 23 million PS3 owners had downloaded Home, at that time it was about 50% of owners. I had my PS3 for a couple of months before I got around to downloading Home.

 

It would generate more traffic and we'd have a lot more default avatars walking around, but some of them might enjoy Home and decide to stat a while.

Message 15 of 38 (258 Views)
Survivor
Registered: 09/17/2011
Online
1752 posts
 

Re: Home Community - How SHOULD Sony make money from Home?

Jan 24, 2013

Charge an extra fee for netflix in our own spaces.  Crackle is alright but limited.  I would be willing to maybe pay 3-5 $ a month that is almost as much as psplus.  They could also have an xrated section where girls could charge guys for webcams which they are probably already doing and then Sony gets like 25 % of that revenue.

Message 16 of 38 (253 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
Registered: 02/01/2003
Online
3170 posts
 

Re: Home Community - How SHOULD Sony make money from Home?

Jan 24, 2013

julie_love wrote:

ck2875 wrote:

My Theory: If Sony really wanted to increase revenue, they would make the avatar a mandatory digital representation on the XMB, akin to the avatar system on Xbox Live. Having a forced presence would make the advertising investment worthwhile to gaming corporations and other entities looking to push their brand, as I can only imagine the conversion rate of in-Home advertising to real world purchases isn't the greatest (I would be curious to know who went out and bought Axe body spray or a ticket to see TED purely because of the Home related promotion), and the reach of advertising in a closed virtual world is inherently limited to reach of that world's audience. Those advertisements won't extend beyond the Home crowd, unless you force it upon everyone.


That would generate more traffic, that's for sure. PS3 has sold over 70 million worldwide, last time it was publicly announced in 2011 23 million PS3 owners had downloaded Home, at that time it was about 50% of owners. I had my PS3 for a couple of months before I got around to downloading Home.

 

It would generate more traffic and we'd have a lot more default avatars walking around, but some of them might enjoy Home and decide to stat a while.


If you've ever been on Xbox Live, you'll notice that almost everyone is willing to buy content for an avatar that genuinely serves no purpose other than to stand there or sleep if you're not online (though it does work in the occassional game). But my point is that people generally (not always) care about how their peers perceive them, so I think if the Home avatars were a mandatory part of a profile card, then not too many people would be content with a default look. That would in turn spur Home clothing / companion / whatever sales and lead to people being willing to invest time and money into Home games if it meant a trinket to showcase to friends. Gaming companies pump out a ton of content for the Xbox Avatar marketplace, likely because it's good marketing in that it reaches people who buy games (a lot of Home users don't), as it's always at the forefront when communicating with friends. Ultimately though, I am sure this idea isn't anything the Sony wizards haven't already debated in great detail and decided against for whatever reason.

Message 17 of 38 (229 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Fender Bender
Registered: 03/31/2010
Offline
2040 posts
 

Re: Home Community - How SHOULD Sony make money from Home?

Jan 25, 2013

smokingpistol wrote:
We were progressing along quite steadily and well until the Hub update in NA. I would wager EU and JP have been the perfect examples in different ways to how to make Home successful and popular. Their really are a ton of users seemingly there and they still incorporate Sony music, movie and game promos on the regular while splashing in popular culture like Total Recall or Anime franchises respectively. I always wanted Home to be my link to my friends while promoting mostly game related content and having game related experiences. The decline of that in our server since last year and other game related goodies (preorders costumes, etc) have made me wonder why I still am here at times. But it is what you make of it and I still have years worth of old content to keep me happy :smileyhappy:
I like all of your suggestions though Julie I have always thought those points should be implemented, but we live in a server where the mall still has a kiosk up holding LAST springs' content in it, and is seemingly a weekly error farm so I wouldnt hold my breath really.

We did have some pretty awesome TGIs and events for a while. Dead Island, KZ3, UC3 to name a few. That all seemed to change when they announced thaty the Home Community Managers and Specialists were becoming Digital Platform Managers and were taking on more projects.

 

For all we know 100% of their time might have been assigned to other projects. That would explain some of the old content you mentioned as well as why the theater rarely gets updated and some of the odd holiday events.

 

JP has always had good events and unique content, but EU has been thriving lately with the new Community Managers they hired.

 

It may be time for SEN to look at hiring some new Managers dedicated to managing NA Home.

Message 18 of 38 (204 Views)
Treasure Hunter
Registered: 08/23/2010
Offline
4468 posts
 

Re: Home Community - How SHOULD Sony make money from Home?

Jan 25, 2013
Not you, or the community are apart of SCEA Marketing group. Leave it to them, Missy.

YB

Message 19 of 38 (188 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Fender Bender
Registered: 10/21/2011
Offline
3241 posts
 

Re: Home Community - How SHOULD Sony make money from Home?

Jan 25, 2013

Heaven forbid the 3rd party developers all pooled their resources together, launched their own stand alone console and dumped Sony.

Sony would be up the creek with no paddle and the developers would actually be able to make some money without being pimped.

 

Message 20 of 38 (176 Views)