Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Oct 24 2012
By: ElDiablo789 First Son 7 posts

Home 2012... what happened?

[ Edited ]
18 replies 522 views Edited Oct 24, 2012

Before I begin, I would like to say that I absolutely love Home. It's a fun place to play games, meet people and customize yourself as well as a personal space. I am just one of many who mindlessly make purchases almost every update, a zombie to Sony basically. I have been here since the closed Beta and intend to be here until the end. However, today I was searching through youtube looking for some old Home event videos just for the sake in satisfying my nostalgia. Then, I came across this video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZY2vwlh5-g

I've owned a PS3 not even half a year after its release and been playing actively ever since. I remember seeing that video long ago and being super hyped for Home. I remember the immense joy I had when I received the email from PlayStation Network addressing me that I was going to be a part of the closed beta. I remember entering Home for the first time and although it wasn't what I expected, I still enjoyed the hell out of it. I assumed Home would become what is in the video slowly but surely. Nearly 4 years later, look where is has went. Although I enjoy it, I still think the original Home would be much better. Why are we still a Beta? What happened to the original Home lay out? I'm sure others agree with me. Take about 3 minutes of your time and watch the "original" Home trailer and tell me your thoughts. For those who remember this, did you forget? For the newer people to our community, does this look more appealing? Thank you.

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 19 (522 Views)
Limit Breaker
16315 posts

Re: Home 2012... what happened?

Oct 24, 2012

I have also been here since closed beta. I understand your point and I have watched that video a lot.  Harrisons idea was the basic starting point. Once he ''left'' The Sony team under the direction of Jack Buser and others proceeded with their vision.

Yes, it has changed a lot and I think it was for the better. Home last year even went further in taking steps to incorporate more games in to Home.

The views have changed a few times. We have lost a few main areas ''Central Plaza' and spaces and gained a district and new spaces. All in all we are still here.

The beta question is a non issue. it just .. it's never been an issue. We would not gain or lose anything with or without the title. Do you say "I play the Home Beta'' or I play Home?

HomeStationMagazine
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 19 (488 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
7 posts

Oct 24, 2012

It just seemed that the original Home had a better layout though. Yes, there are way more game now since the past year but still. It seems that the character design was much more detailed, more customization options, a simpler furniture decoration layout etc. And not to mentions, the so called virtual radios and televisions that would show our media that's on our hard-drive. The animations looked more realistic and moved more fluidly. Even with the original Central Plaza, the trailer's area looks much better.

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 19 (465 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4131 posts

[ Edited ]
Oct 24, 2012

I've been using Home since closed beta, and have enjoyed five different versions of Central Plaza and now the Hub, as well as the different versions in all four international versions of Home, and as in life, we always tend to miss the things we once had, regardless of whether we truly appreciated it in the first place.  It's "hip" to complain about what we have now and to claim what ever we had before was better than what we have now, but frankly that's just their opinion and nothing more.

However to me the solution is rather simple, and Sony should have a History menu of spaces from the past that people can visit.  I suspect the reason Sony has not done that is that many of the spaces may require a lot of work to function properly, but I would just suggest that they release them any way, and have a pop up screen letting people know that some of their functionality may be disabled.  

The other constant complaint I hear in Home, especially from griefers and hipsters is how sooo much better Home is in other regions other than the one they are in.   The funny thing is I see similar complaints when I am in any region of Home.  The commonality is that they all want what other regions have.

It's a common affliction known as the Grass is Always Greener, and no amount of reasonable discussion with facts and objective opinions is going to change their minds.

Sony's PlayStation Home updated mission statement...

"Like it never happened"

- Stand for something better than mediocrity and don't disguise it as adequate, when clearly it is far from that to anyone willing to be objective and unbiased. -

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 19 (461 Views)
Limit Breaker
16315 posts

Oct 24, 2012

ElDiablo789 wrote:

It just seemed that the original Home had a better layout though. Yes, there are way more game now since the past year but still. It seems that the character design was much more detailed, more customization options, a simpler furniture decoration layout etc. And not to mentions, the so called virtual radios and televisions that would show our media that's on our hard-drive. The animations looked more realistic and moved more fluidly. Even with the original Central Plaza, the trailer's area looks much better.

Remember, That was a video that was about ideas. It was a demo of what they wanted to do. If we were able to have all that stuff we would have it. Because of copyright and tech some thing just were not in the cards. I do agree that the old CP rocked big time and I have always wanted it to be somewhere in Home.

I do understand where you're coming from and it's nostalgic to me..

HomeStationMagazine
Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 19 (453 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
564 posts

Oct 24, 2012

Besides the trophy room, I didn't see much in that video that we don't already have now.

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 19 (454 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2916 posts

Oct 24, 2012

I have to agree, that version of Home in the video looks a lot better than the Hub. Even the CP looked really good. I don't why they thought the hub was a better idea. I hate the hub and I rarely ever go there since the forced spawning stopped.

bobs fed signature
Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 19 (437 Views)
0 Likes
Limit Breaker
16315 posts

Oct 24, 2012

Bobsfed wrote:

I have to agree, that version of Home in the video looks a lot better than the Hub. Even the CP looked really good. I don't why they thought the hub was a better idea. I hate the hub and I rarely ever go there since the forced spawning stopped.

I liked my snow version better. :smileytongue:

SnowHomelodge1.png

HomeStationMagazine
Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 19 (429 Views)
Fender Bender
2916 posts

Oct 24, 2012

Jersquall wrote:

Bobsfed wrote:

I liked my snow version better. :smileytongue:

SnowHomelodge1.png

Ha ha, actually I like that version better too. Or they could have changed it up each season. :manhappy:

bobs fed signature
Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 19 (409 Views)
0 Likes
Limit Breaker
16315 posts

Oct 24, 2012

Bobsfed wrote:
Ha ha, actually I like that version better too. Or they could have changed it up each season. :manhappy:

Absolutely. :smileywink:

HomeStationMagazine
Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 19 (407 Views)