Wastelander
588 posts

Re: Granzella Fossil Collection and Guide

Jul 7, 2012

HearItWow wrote:

Awesome job with this, Mermaid. I got the Mammoth Head last night, and it's a 4-star rarity.

Something very interesting happened last night, and I've had this happen before. If I show up with a lot of clods, I'll get kicked from appraisal partway through. This happened four times last night, but on the fourth and final time I got different fossils. Mysterious Beauty found two fossils in my extra-large clod each time, so I walked away with the tusks, head and chest from the same clod.

Interesting!

I got kicked after my 5th clot (out of 12) and got a mammoth fossil I already had. I'm wondering if getting kicked, means you will be getting a *rare* fossil?

Please use plain text.
Message 21 of 828 (764 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
124 posts

Jul 8, 2012

HearItWow wrote:

Awesome job with this, Mermaid. I got the Mammoth Head last night, and it's a 4-star rarity.

Something very interesting happened last night, and I've had this happen before. If I show up with a lot of clods, I'll get kicked from appraisal partway through. This happened four times last night, but on the fourth and final time I got different fossils. Mysterious Beauty found two fossils in my extra-large clod each time, so I walked away with the tusks, head and chest from the same clod.

A similar thing happened to me this morning. I was kicked several times and had to re-appraise fossils, Mysterious Beauty found a second fossil in one of my clods that only contained a single fossil previously.
Please use plain text.
Message 22 of 828 (754 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1397 posts

Jul 8, 2012

I have the rear legs and tail and I believe that the legs were the only extra large clod I ever found.

Please use plain text.
Message 23 of 828 (746 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
1426 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 8, 2012

I don't know what strider367 is talking about, the rocks do NOT have their own place in the museum.

I have an almost complete museum in JP, only missing the megalocerus (elk) and some small-med fossils, so I can take pictures later of each an every exhibit if necessary to prove the rocks are not there. They are indeed junk, as Mermaid originally posted.

Also there is no point to ck2875's tedious digging method. I don't know why the idea got started, but some people are under the impression that if you take a longer time to dig you get a rarer fossil. This silly idea was present even last year among people digging in JP.

I guess people were taking the description at the beginning of "the more you dig the rarer the fossil you might find!" literally, but I can assure you from almost a full year of experience this is not the case. The whole thing is entirely luck based. There is NOTHING you can do to get a better fossil other then buying the best tools and rarity tags.

I also find the mysterious beauty completely and utterly pointless. Within the past month I have only gotten dual samples twice: one from her, one from the male. My suggestion would be saving fossils for her only when it gets close to the 7th, since she does give a minutely higher percentage of a dual fossil.

I can say all of this with confidence because I have been digging since DAY 1 in Japan and I figured everything out on my own. My almost complete museum was accomplished with predominately the male appraiser, and, ironically, the exact same digging method strider367 posted.

I should mention that when the legendary tools first came out in JP, I was using Pickaxe>Chisel>Shovel x 3 for 3 fossils per site. So if you just want results from the tools you only need those 3.

Later last year I started experimenting with every possible dig combination. I found P>C>S - Jackhammer>Chisel - P>C>S to be the best to save time.

During that experimentation, any of the long drawn out ones using the brushes did not get me any rarer fossils, even from the third dig site.

I only need 3 more fossils to be as complete as currently possible in NA: Rhamphorhynchus IV and the mammoth ribcage and spine.

Please use plain text.
Message 24 of 828 (733 Views)
PlayStation MVP
3146 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 8, 2012

Tarazuma wrote:

Also there is no point to ck2875's tedious digging method. I don't know why the idea got started, but some people are under the impression that if you take a longer time to dig you get a rarer fossil. This silly idea was present even last year among people digging in JP.

I never said it was the best or most efficient method, nor did I ever claim it would get you rarer fossils. I originally posted that combination the Wednesday before the forum migration when the digging tools were just released and no one had offered up how to dig for 3 fossils. In that post, I commented that someone likely had a more efficient method; however, I managed to do it with that combination and shared it so that people weren't sitting around and waiting to dig with their new legendary tools. I'm sorry you find it tedious, but no one is forcing you to use my digging method. Go enjoy the game with whatever digging method you find that makes you happy.

Please use plain text.
Message 25 of 828 (705 Views)
VP of Gaming
25390 posts

Jul 8, 2012

ck2875 wrote:

Go enjoy the game with whatever digging method you find that makes you happy.

That is the most important statement.

Do what we want in order to enjoy the game the way we want. We don't have to do what anyone else does. Nor do we have to do as they suggest. Just play the game the way we want to, and at our own pace.

That's something many people seem to forget.

The way you play the game is the way you live your life.

Get your Portable ID!
Please use plain text.
Message 26 of 828 (664 Views)
Gaming Beast
1426 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 8, 2012

Sorry ck, I thought that people where still thinking that you have to dig longer to get rare fossils. It just really annoyed me last year when people kept touting this as fact. I also haven't been on the forums much in the past 2 weeks, so I guess I should have asked  first lol :smileyembarrassed:

Please use plain text.
Message 27 of 828 (646 Views)
Fender Bender
2706 posts

Jul 8, 2012

Tarazuma wrote:

I don't know what strider367 is talking about, the rocks do NOT have their own place in the museum.

I have an almost complete museum in JP, only missing the megalocerus (elk) and some small-med fossils, so I can take pictures later of each an every exhibit if necessary to prove the rocks are not there. They are indeed junk, as Mermaid originally posted.

I guess people were taking the description at the beginning of "the more you dig the rarer the fossil you might find!" literally, but I can assure you from almost a full year of experience this is not the case. The whole thing is entirely luck based. There is NOTHING you can do to get a better fossil other then buying the best tools and rarity tags.

I also find the mysterious beauty completely and utterly pointless. Within the past month I have only gotten dual samples twice: one from her, one from the male. My suggestion would be saving fossils for her only when it gets close to the 7th, since she does give a minutely higher percentage of a dual fossil.

I can say all of this with confidence because I have been digging since DAY 1 in Japan and I figured everything out on my own. My almost complete museum was accomplished with predominately the male appraiser, and, ironically, the exact same digging method strider367 posted.

I should mention that when the legendary tools first came out in JP, I was using Pickaxe>Chisel>Shovel x 3 for 3 fossils per site. So if you just want results from the tools you only need those 3.

Later last year I started experimenting with every possible dig combination. I found P>C>S - Jackhammer>Chisel - P>C>S to be the best to save time.

During that experimentation, any of the long drawn out ones using the brushes did not get me any rarer fossils, even from the third dig site.

I only need 3 more fossils to be as complete as currently possible in NA: Rhamphorhynchus IV and the mammoth ribcage and spine.

Thankyou for your comments, its nice to know that your experience with the girl appraiser pretty much ties up with my own limited experiences. I've also found she didn't give me any rarer fossils than the guy, but have found that all my two-in-one fossils have been given to me by her. So far the guy has yet to find a second fossil for me.

With regard to the different combo's used to get 3 fossils per dig, this project is quite a long drawn out one, so personally I think its quite nice to have some variety and option to choose different combo's to get our fossils. I tend to jump between both ck2875's and strider367's methods, as I'm too scared to try my own as I dont want to fall and break any of them.

I would like to add a third combo option, so if anyone has found one that uses all 5 tools, please post them, and the first one posted I will add to the guide. I've bought all 5 tools, so its nice to have a chance and use them all :smileyhappy:

Thankyou again :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Message 28 of 828 (619 Views)
PlayStation MVP
29003 posts

Jul 8, 2012

I haven't been lucky with either assayer to get any more than one fossil per assay. I'm looking forward to that at some point. :smileyhappy:  I will say that my alternate Claire without any charms and or special tools hasn't been doing to badly in the collecting department.

I really would love to steal those mammoth tusks from her. :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Message 29 of 828 (614 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
197 posts

Jul 8, 2012

Great guide! Does anyone know of a digging method that allows you 3

successful digs with only 2-3 of legendary tools purchased?  :catlol:

Photobucket
Please use plain text.