Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Fender Bender
3241 posts

Re: Family of accused Hit and Run Driver Speaks

Sep 30, 2012

Burb I didnt really know any of her family...but Im checking around to see if someone can contact them

Please use plain text.
Message 61 of 83 (589 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
760 posts

Oct 1, 2012

I didn't know her, but I would like to express my sincere condolences.

An extremely similar incident occur like this in my life many years ago when a very close friend was killed by a hit-skip driver while walking home from high school.  The person that did it, to my knowledge, was never caught.  Hopefully justice will be served in this particular situation.

Please use plain text.
Message 62 of 83 (665 Views)
Fender Bender
3241 posts

[ Edited ]
Oct 1, 2012
Denver hit-and-run suspect Dennis Phillip Esquibel's bond set at $100K
Laura McDermott killed crossing Denver street

DennisEsquibel_1348784357305_161481_ver1.0_320_240.jpg

DENVER - Bond was set Friday at $100,000 for the man arrested in a deadly hit-and-run last weekend.

Dennis Phillip Esquibel was arrested on suspicion of failing to report an accident that caused death.

Laura McDermott was crossing Broadway at Cedar Avenue on Sunday morning when she was hit. The impact knocked McDermott about 180 feet south on Broadway, according to a police diagram of the collision.

McDermott's boyfriend, Nate Iler, told 7NEWS he was a step behind her when the car came roaring down the street.

"I briefly turned back to say something to a friend about a concert," Iler said. "She got a few steps ahead of me. That's when they hit her."

Esquibel's mother told 7NEWS she loaned the keys to her Toyota Corolla to her son's girlfriend.

"This was not my son driving that car," said Margaret Esquibel, stressing that her son's girlfriend was driving.

Esquibel's dad told 7NEWS that his son does not have a driver's license and knows not to drive.

"I told my son, 'Don't ever drive a car. Don't ever drive a car cause it ain't no good to drive unless you got your license,'" said Esquibel's father.

Denver District Attorney Mitch Morrissey told 7NEWS investigators believe Esquibel was driving the car with two female passengers during the deadly hit-and-run.

Morrissey said he's aware that others are saying someone else was driving, but authorities believe Esquibel was behind the wheel.

Criminal History

Esquibel has a serious criminal history, including serving time in state prison.

In August 2007, Esquibel was arrested in Denver on several felonies for drug trafficking, according to court records. He pleaded guilty to one count of felony possession of a control substance and was sentenced to three years in state prison.

Esquibel was arrested again in Denver in November 2007 for aggravated motor vehicle theft. He pleaded guilty and was sentenced to three years in state prison, according to court records.

In February 2009, he was arrested in Denver for violating the conditions of his parole for the drug conviction. He was returned the custody on Nov. 15, 2009, according to court records.

UPDATE

DENVER - Dennis Esquibel appeared in court Friday morning.

Esquibel is accused of hitting and killing a woman, Laura McDermott, while driving Sunday morning near Broadway and Cedar Street.

According to arrest documents, Esquibel admitted to being behind the wheel during the crash, and told police his girlfriend was a passenger in the car.

However, Esquibel's familiy says it was not Dennis who was driving it was his girlfriend.

Eleven members of his family showed up in court on Friday to show their support for Dennis.

"This is a horrible, horrible accident," Dennis' sister DeeDee told 9NEWS. "He's a good person and didn't mean to do this."

The Esquibel family also went on to offer their condolences to the family of Laura McDermott. A judge set his bond at $100,000.

Esquibel has a lengthy criminal history.

He served time in prison for drugs and car theft and was on parole until 2013.

Please use plain text.
Message 63 of 83 (575 Views)
Lombax Warrior
165 posts

Oct 1, 2012

He's gonna get some serious time! I think he deserves LIFE in prison or the death penalty...an eye for an eye. He shows ZERO remorse for his actions and that in turn shows what type of person he is.

Please use plain text.
Message 64 of 83 (589 Views)
Ghost of Sparta
10662 posts

[ Edited ]
Oct 1, 2012

Thanks for keeping us informed about this story, I'm interested to see where this goes. 

Don't derail the thread please, you know who you are. 

New PSN ID for PS4: Redd-Axel

Come check out my Twitch TV channel, will be streaming various PS4 games from time to time http://www.twitch.tv/reddaxel
Please use plain text.
Message 65 of 83 (612 Views)
Wastelander
760 posts

[ Edited ]
Oct 1, 2012

That's all I'm asking for as well is respect for the family.  She had friends that may have not known what happened, and this manner might be the only way that they find out.  I fail to see how informing a community of the situation is disrespect.

Please use plain text.
Message 66 of 83 (575 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1339 posts

Oct 1, 2012

I didn't know Laura, but her PSN name does sound familiar, so I probably seen her around Home in the past. I hope there is justice for her and her family. It's really sad that things like this can happen and that anyone would go to any length to get away with something so horrible. It really goes to show that some people truly have no heart and shouldn't even be considered human. I hope the driver and his family meet punishment. As the saying goes, "What comes around goes around." or even "You reap what you sow.".

I wish Laura's friends and family the best and hope one day they all get the closure they deserve. From the sounds of things, she was very nice and was surrounded by great people. I'm very glad she had that in her life. Now, it appears she's touched more than just her friends and family and I think we're all here to help lend comfort to her friends and family, as well as the support of making sure she gets justice.

And the Angel of the Lord came unto me, snatching me up from my place of slumber. And took me on high, and higher still until we moved to the spaces betwixt the air itself. And he brought me into a vast farmlands of our own midwest. And as we descended, cries of impending doom rose from the soil. One thousand, nay a million voices full of fear. And terror possessed me then. And I begged, "Angel of the Lord, what are these tortured screams?" And the angel said unto me, "These are the cries of the carrots, the cries of the carrots!“
Please use plain text.
Message 67 of 83 (695 Views)
PlayStation MVP
4658 posts

Oct 1, 2012
It is truly tragic what happened to Laura and while I didn't know her personally, my heart goes out to her friends and family. Also thanks for posting this topic about a member of the Home Community.
Please use plain text.
Message 68 of 83 (662 Views)
Lombax Warrior
160 posts

[ Edited ]
Oct 1, 2012

tss yah

oh n rest in peace dat laura. she sounds like a saint on ert, bless her heart!

Edit: Inflammatory content removed

Hey everyone, 

Just letting you know that this thread has been merged with another of the same nature, as well as cleaned up from inflammatory comments.

In the future, if you see something that you think is inappropriate, please report to moderation and let us handle it.

Thank you,

traWnza

========================================

http://www.youtube.com/user/ChipTVShow

http://www.youtube.com/user/ChipTVShow
Please use plain text.
Message 69 of 83 (645 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Re: Goodbye My Friend

Oct 2, 2012

To contribute to OM's mission in memory of Laura McDermott_Cash or Check_4582 7th StreetBoulde.jpg

Laura was passionate about a group called Outdoor Mindset.

Outdoor Mindset unites and inspires people affected by neurological challenges through a common passion for the outdoors. OM accomplishes this through their free membership community, 1-on-1 connection and outdoor meet-up group programs.

To learn more, please visit www.outdoormindset.org.

To contribute to OM's mission in memory of Laura McDermott:
Cash or Check:
4582 7th Street
Boulder, CO 80304
Please include a note mentioning Laura's name.
Online (Credit Card or eCheck)
http://www.outdoormindset.org/donate
Please follow the online donation with an email toconnect@outdoormindset.org mentioning Laura's name.

Laura Gerard McDermott.jpg

Please use plain text.
Message 70 of 83 (297 Views)