Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Uncharted Territory
882 posts

Re: Furture Of Mercia

[ Edited ]
May 18, 2013
It is interesting. There's some mitigating factor we can't see. There was a schedule push, personnel shortage, something.

You see this stuff with disk-based games, if you think about it, though. Where the company rolled out a deficient product because of the schedule they had, and the guys working on it know it's a suck product, but can't do anything about the release date. There's a boneyard of famous (infamous) games with this problem.

Usually there's some scuttlebutt with these, where you can kind of hang the blame on where in the company the screwup sits.

With these Home-based games there's this weird veneer where you can't see what's going on. Even the guys running the sector of Home we use seem to not be able to control missteps or be allowed to explain them. It's an interesting process to observe.

I had a gaming website for years, did reviews - we got pre-release copies of games for reviews from indie devs as well as all the usual major publishers, did interviews with those folks, pre-release news - all that stuff. And I've never seen a process like this. It's kind of fascinating in a dark way, because the system that's been set up makes it look like a car careening down a street with no driver on occasion.
Message 31 of 54 (243 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
1882 posts

May 18, 2013

Mercia was plague with a marketing bug much worst than any of it's software ones. You can play it , easely, to the end without spending a dime. And then you don't have any incentive to play it again. I love freemium, when it's done right. Thats why I loved Novus-Prime first.

Free to play is nice, but when you run a business you need to give at least one reason to the players to spend some money on your products. After completing the game in beta, I bought an armor when the game was release. Just to show my satisfaction. Now I'm not sure I would do the same thing again.

co-founder
The Black Hat Squad/Black Hat Squadron/Novus Black Hats
Novus international elite force
Black Hats website
Black Hats on Facebook
Message 32 of 54 (232 Views)
Treasure Hunter
5583 posts

May 18, 2013

TJMVoyager wrote:

What I find kind of bother some is the fact that this was broke even berfore and after the beta. Why it was never worked on, thats beyond me.

One was to expect issues during the Beta. The whole purpose of the Beta forum was to provide feedback and point out issues.

What was screwed up, is the game went live with all the same issues :smileysurprised:

Message 33 of 54 (229 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
4720 posts

[ Edited ]
May 18, 2013

Mercia had a lot of potential, it's a shame that Lockwood abandoned it. It was fun back when we could play with friends and level up together. Not so much, after they changed it so that only the person who strikes the killing blow gets the xp and item drop. Digitman3 and his Mercian Guards were very "khul" for helping so many people through it! I never got to finish though...hard to ask for help now, since you can't ask them to just kill it a little bit :smileytongue:

Message 34 of 54 (218 Views)
Treasure Hunter
5583 posts

May 18, 2013

StephieRawks wrote:

Mercia had a lot of potential, it's a shame that Lockwood abandoned it.

Actually it's a cop-out with poor/no reasons supporting the decision.

It was a lose lose situation for them and they just didn't man up.

To say they have no intentions to update or expand on it totally makes no sense giving all the hype and promo prior to release.

They should've just said, " Hey, we're sorry but we can't fix it because we don't know how".

So do they be truthful and make themselves seem incompetent, or make it seem like they don't care? Either way is BS.

Message 35 of 54 (204 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
1317 posts

May 18, 2013

The Difference between mercia and a real mmorpg though is that usually a real mmo , people purchase it for the game first and the socializing 2nd. Psh is filled with Many types of people, but the common factor is, we're usually socializers first and gamers 2nd when we come on here...... well most of us. I myself use home as a social platform rather than a gaming one. Glitches and bugs may have made the game worse, or even unplayable, but that's not what killed them. What killed them , in my opinion, is the fact they actually banked on the idea that we'd purchase items that you could only use In game, but made it possible to do it for free, without much effort.

I'd also like to point out, there is only a select few that would have stayed here, most people move to whatever the new space is week to week, only leaving behind the few people that truly appreciate the space for what it is, which I'd guess is why we always see posts about mercia popping up. 

Was it a fun game? yes, for home it was, Way way too repetitive, but af far as a home game, it was acceptable. (minus all the problems)

If the game had worked properly, would it have generated more revenue? ( yes, but I doubt enough to make them continue making more content ) 

The new way of thinking for dev's these days is New New New. There are very few that make add on content. Old content gets lost and forgotten in the enormity of home, it's too much of a risk for them unless they have numbers that prove otherwise. 

All opinions of course, but I doubt you'll see anything like mercia on home again. Too much money, too much risk :/

Message 36 of 54 (197 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
299 posts

May 18, 2013

hellokittyxo wrote:

The Difference between mercia and a real mmorpg though is that usually a real mmo , people purchase it for the game first and the socializing 2nd. Psh is filled with Many types of people, but the common factor is, we're usually socializers first and gamers 2nd when we come on here...... well most of us. I myself use home as a social platform rather than a gaming one. Glitches and bugs may have made the game worse, or even unplayable, but that's not what killed them. What killed them , in my opinion, is the fact they actually banked on the idea that we'd purchase items that you could only use In game, but made it possible to do it for free, without much effort.

I'd also like to point out, there is only a select few that would have stayed here, most people move to whatever the new space is week to week, only leaving behind the few people that truly appreciate the space for what it is, which I'd guess is why we always see posts about mercia popping up. 

Was it a fun game? yes, for home it was, Way way too repetitive, but af far as a home game, it was acceptable. (minus all the problems)

If the game had worked properly, would it have generated more revenue? ( yes, but I doubt enough to make them continue making more content ) 

The new way of thinking for dev's these days is New New New. There are very few that make add on content. Old content gets lost and forgotten in the enormity of home, it's too much of a risk for them unless they have numbers that prove otherwise. 

All opinions of course, but I doubt you'll see anything like mercia on home again. Too much money, too much risk :/

I don't know, Home Tycoon seems to be doing pretty well with it's constant release schedule of new expansion. It's not my kind of thing, but a lot of people seem to enjoy it and are buying them. Even if they made us pay for a Mercia expansion I would probably buy it if it wasn't too expensive.

Message 37 of 54 (190 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
299 posts

May 18, 2013

Danger_Dad wrote:

:^/ For me, the loading times were discouraging, but I played through the end anyway. I would have happily purchased better armor, etc., if it doubled as Home attire wearable outside of Mercia. That would have let it double as advertising, anyway. I still wear the Warior Headband as part of my default look, and use the free Mercia boots in another wardrobe save slot. It's cool stuff, and I'd have liked to buy more.

However, such enhancements would have been usable only within the game, which made them less appealing to me.

The buyable stuff is wearable outside of Mercia, I know my ranger armor is still in my wardrobe though I never wear it now. I am not sure where the idea that it is only usuable in Mercia came from. I will often wear the Warrior gloves with outfits because it is one of the few things that I own that includes a necklace, it looks really nice with the Golden Dancer Top from X7.

Message 38 of 54 (185 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
1317 posts

[ Edited ]
May 18, 2013
hellokittyxo wrote:

I don't know, Home Tycoon seems to be doing pretty well with it's constant release schedule of new expansion. It's not my kind of thing, but a lot of people seem to enjoy it and are buying them. Even if they made us pay for a Mercia expansion I would probably buy it if it wasn't too expensive.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________

you've certainly got me there, perhaps then it's because it's more of an rpg. Sims style games will always be more popular in the casual market than rpgs I'd think. 

Message 39 of 54 (185 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
4421 posts

May 18, 2013
Mercia worked fine when you played on a private server, no bugs or glitches whatsoever. Home Tycoon puts you in a private server which is why it is so smooth and problem free. 😉
Message 40 of 54 (179 Views)
0 Likes