Wastelander
817 posts

Re: Forming a club based on sexuality, and ect, wrong?

[ Edited ]
Jul 15, 2012

Conrad_Max wrote:

People create clubs where it's members share a common interest or hobby. They also create clubs where they feel comfortable, safe and welcome. That doesn't mean that they refuse to interact with people and friends who are not in their club.

In real life, people have bowling clubs, bridge clubs and diner's clubs (hahaha). But that doesn't mean they will not socialize with others outside the club.

I know what you're saying and all, but I'm talking about if my gay and lesbians friends suddenly made a club based on sexuality, I would feel discriminated against. A bowling club is totally different because it's a sports club. What can you do in a gay club that you can't do in a straight one? (On Home of course)

Please use plain text.
Message 21 of 37 (250 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
29003 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 15, 2012

RAGEAHOLlC wrote:

Conrad_Max wrote:

People create clubs where it's members share a common interest or hobby. They also create clubs where they feel comfortable, safe and welcome. That doesn't mean that they refuse to interact with people and friends who are not in their club.

In real life, people have bowling clubs, bridge clubs and diner's clubs (hahaha). But that doesn't mean they will not socialize with others outside the club.

I know, but I would feel discriminated against. A bowling club is totally different because it's a sports club. What can you do in a gay club that you can't do in a straight one? (On Home of course)

Is it ok if I form a club for people who only like "yellow jelly beans". They are my favorite. :smileyhappy:

Others can form a club for red, blue and pink jelly beans but I don't want to belong to that one. :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Message 22 of 37 (241 Views)
VP of Gaming
25390 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 15, 2012

RAGEAHOLlC wrote:

What can you do in a gay club that you can't do in a straight one? (On Home of course)

Discuss Gay issues regarding civil rights, marriage, security and health from a Gay perspective. You can always apply to one of these clubs. As a matter of fact, someone created a thread today announcing the start of a Gay club. Go and apply and see if you will be accepted.

The way you play the game is the way you live your life.

Get your Portable ID!
Please use plain text.
Message 23 of 37 (236 Views)
Wastelander
817 posts

Jul 15, 2012

Conrad_Max wrote:

RAGEAHOLlC wrote:

What can you do in a gay club that you can't do in a straight one? (On Home of course)

Discuss Gay issues regarding civil rights, marriage, security and health. You can always apply to one of these clubs. As a matter of fact, someone created a thread today announcing the start of a Gay club. Go and apply and see if you will be accepted.

lol.. I wouldn't be allowed in because I'm not a lesbian. And that's my point. I share their beliefs/Rights but not allowed in their club to discuss it.

Please use plain text.
Message 24 of 37 (222 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
1434 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 15, 2012
Back on topic....we all have different interests, backgrounds,, outlooks, etc. (couldn't resist using the etc) Thus the reason to form clubs for like minded individuals. I see no reason not to form clubs to unite people of certain affiliations. And yes, just because someone belongs to a club; it does not stop them from socializing with non-members. Not sure why anyone would care if a club was started for individuals who have something in common. I also notice quite a bit of bigotry spewed in many public spaces, so understand the need for clubs as a safe haven.
Posted Image
Please use plain text.
Message 25 of 37 (234 Views)
Fender Bender
2291 posts

Jul 15, 2012

I'm not sure I understand the question, but yeah, it can be perfectly okay.  Pretty much every kind of club ever in the world works the same regardless of what they claim they are; they behave as the people in it want it to.  No one really can ever say that they are going to behave wrong, because there's no way to know without first seeing how they behave.

Now, if someone were to start a club called "Lets Kick Puppies" then yeah, we probably should show some concern.

Please use plain text.
Message 26 of 37 (289 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1903 posts

Jul 15, 2012

I say as long as a club being created isn't being made to promote hate of any kind in Home, then go for it!

Photobucket
Please use plain text.
Message 27 of 37 (281 Views)
Fender Bender
2436 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 15, 2012

Melpoe wrote:

So, let's say I wanted to make a club (in Home) for only people who are only Bisexual, would this be right? Or do you think this is somewhat wrong? (like the title states, this isn't just about sexuality. any specific club formation under a narrow purpose like the example is what I'm talking about). 

Isn't a "narrow purpose" the presumptive reason behind the creation of clubs in the first place?  Define "narrow" however you like but clubs exist to unite people with common interests, goals or concerns.  Otherwise, they would just be random collections of people.  Kinda defeats the purpose of having a club.

What's the difference if the club's theme is bisexuality, baseball or Bieber Fever (not that those groups need to be mutually exclusive)?  As long as the club isn't harming others, I can't see an issue.

castle3
Please use plain text.
Message 28 of 37 (263 Views)
Fender Bender
2291 posts

Jul 15, 2012

Hey, we should start handing out picket signs and see what happens.

Please use plain text.
Message 29 of 37 (253 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
31520 posts

Jul 15, 2012

X-MsLiZa-X wrote:

Melpoe wrote:

So, let's say I wanted to make a club (in Home) for only people who are only Bisexual, would this be right? Or do you think this is somewhat wrong? (like the title states, this isn't just about sexuality. any specific club formation under a narrow purpose like the example is what I'm talking about). 

Isn't a "narrow purpose" the presumptive reason behind the creation of clubs in the first place?  Define "narrow" however you like but clubs exist to unite people with common interests, goals or concerns.  Otherwise, they would just be random collections of people.  Kinda defeats the purpose of having a club.

What's the difference if the club's theme is bisexuality, baseball or Bieber Fever (not that those groups need to be mutually exclusive)?  As long as the club isn't harming others, I can't see an issue.

it depends on what subject the club is about and how people feel about that subject.

a baseball club, fine. you either like baseball or you dont.

a club for gay people, fine. however some people might see it at segregation, not sure why though. the club was made by gay people for gay people, its not like it was made by someone else and they are forcing gay people into it.

it just boils down to personal opinions.

Please use plain text.
Message 30 of 37 (95 Views)
0 Likes