Nov 03 2013
By: DarthGranny Wastelander 195 posts

Film Making Inside Home

2 replies 310 views Edited Nov 3, 2013

I am compiling a manual for my film crew, actors, cameraman trainees, and helpers so that those who are interested in getting started making their own films in Home, whether for YouTube, Facebook, personal viewing, or for consideration for showing inside Home, will have some idea of what is involved.  This is the first page of the first chapter.

I welcome additional material you would like to contribute to this thread.  And, for those who would like to  receive more pages and chapters, I will email them to you as fast as I finish them.  Just email me at keara22hi@gmail.com and I will send them to you as email attachments.

FILM MAKING IN HOME:  THE BASICS

1.  THE STORY :  has a beginning, a middle, and an end.  Not just friends running in circles and dancing, but a story that engages the interest of the audience and makes them want to know what happens to those characters.  Unless you have a story to tell, you don’t have a reason to make a video.
  2. THE LIMITATIONS:    Duration:  filming a STORY to be shown inside Home means your film should be no longer than 3 minutes in duration unless the story is so compelling that an audience will wait longer than usual for it to load on the screen.  Music:  It also means using music that can be shown legally, such as public domain music performed by a friend, ‘free’ music  that can be downloaded from the internet with licensing agreement for use, or music for which you have paid the licensing fee for use.   PG Rating:  Remember that Home has children as young as 13 in there – and they will see your film.  If you want it to be approved for showing inside Home, make sure you omit any references to alcohol use, smoking, drug use, or sexual acts.  Ironically, you can put in all the violence you want!
  3. HOME LOCATIONS FOR SETS:   Personal spaces, advantages: .  A. you can use a Loot camera or a Juggernaut Observer in personal spaces and club rooms. B.  there’s a wide variety of personal spaces to choose from, many of which can enhance the story content (i.e. filming a western in a ranch setting as an example).  C.  you avoid the problem of non-cast members interrupting or interfering. D. you can place as many ‘props’ for the story as the space can hold.
  4. HOME LOCATIONS FOR SETSPersonal spaces, disadvantages:  A.  Personal spaces have a limit of eleven guests; this fact gives personal club room spaces a distinct advantage if you have a large cast. B. You have to invite each participant to the set.  Again, a personal club room has an advantage in that cast members can navigate there without needing an invitation.
  5. HOME LOCATIONS FOR SETS:  Public spaces, advantages:  A. There are dozens of interesting public spaces in Home that lend themselves well to storytelling.  B. If you want a huge crowd scene, the public spaces in Home have a capacity of 64 as compared to club rooms with a limit of 32 and private spaces limited to 12.
  6. HOME LOCATIONS FOR SETSPublic spaces, disadvantages:  A. You will need a screen capture system, such as the Hauppauge PVR, to film there because you cannot ‘place’ items in a public space.  B. You are limited on props to hand held items.  C. Other than changing the Gamma, you cannot brighten or dim the lighting  D. Onlookers may try to interfere with your activity E. You, the camera operator, will have to appear in every shot unless you can disguise yourself (see Urban Camo for disguises) or hide behind something while filming.
  7. SCRIPT:  Even ‘improv’ needs a script – a basic storyline – and a storyboard of the shots to be included in the final film.  You also need this to control the length of the film and how much footage you will need in the final, edited version.  There is a separate chapter coming on how to write a script and prepare a storyboard for making a film in Home.

Page 1

Message 1 of 3 (310 Views)
Wastelander
195 posts

Re: Film Making Inside Home

Nov 4, 2013

oops - forgot to put this in

This is a step-by-step procedural I wrote to share with my trainee film makers who do not yet have a PVR (Hauppauge) to use for screen capture*.  It makes it possible to move the footage from the PS3 to a PC for editing and rendering.

1.  Using the Loot Camera or the Juggernaut Observer, shoot your video footage in Home.  It will save to the Video section of your PS3.
2.  Insert a USB device into the USB port on your PS3
3.  Scroll across to Video section
4.  Scroll up and down to locate the video clips that you shot
5.  Select one and go to 'Options' (press triangle)
6.  Select 'Copy' and copy clip to the USB device.  Repeat until all the video clips are loaded.
7.  Remove the USB device from the PS3 and insert it in the USB slot on your PC
8.  Open 'Computer' screen in your PC.  Locate USB disk icon
9.  Click on the USB icon to open it.  See 'Video file" contained inside.
10.  Click and drag Video file to your Video Library.
11.  Open MovieMaker, new project, and select 'Add videos'
12.  The video files you saved in your Video Library will be there, ready for you to load onto MovieMaker.

*And for those whose persnickety Hauppauge is being a pain in the butt.
Message 2 of 3 (274 Views)
Fender Bender
1977 posts

Re: Film Making Inside Home

Nov 4, 2013

I wish people would understand that not only do videos need to be short, they need to capture attention within the first 10-20 seconds, or people will move on, especially me. When I see someone post a ten minute video here, I don't bother to click on it.

The above comment is my opinion, unless I state a fact. You can disagree with my opinion, but facts are facts.
Message 3 of 3 (251 Views)