Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Oct 07 2013
By: StephieRawks PlayStation MVP 4157 posts

[EVENT] 10/24-25: "Swim for the Cure" (BCAM)

[ Edited ]
134 replies 7374 views Edited Oct 26, 2013

Start training your dolphies now!

BCAM (Breast Cancer Awareness Month) and cancer awareness in general are causes that are near and dear to my heart. Later this month, I'll be hosting a Swim for the Cure event in support of BCAM. I hope you'll come to show your support too!

swim for the cure 2.png

Contest details:

1. Eligibility: Anyone can race, but to qualify for this promotion, your dolphy must be pink or wearing a pink bow.
  2. Eligibility: When I come around to the participants of each race to confirm whether it's pink for BCAM, you must answer yes.
  3. Eligibility: Sponsors are allowed to participate in the race. No worries, with 31 winners, there are plenty of chances to win, and I'll make sure not to assign any sponsors to donate on behalf of themselves as winners!
  4. Prizes: If your pink dolphy is one of the first 31 1st-4th place winners after 6:05pm PDT, the sponsors of this event will make a $5 donation to komen.org or cancer.org in honor/memory of the name of your choice, totalling $135 in donations to be made on behalf of the winners.
  5. Prizes: If any of the 1st-4th place winners are not eligible pink entries, the prize will go to the pink 1st-4th place winners in the next race, until 31 eligible pink contestants have won.
  6. Sponsors: As of 10/25, the sponsors of this event are: StephieRawks, D-Nitrate, MysticMur, (anonymous donor), beantot, SpyDudeFX, kl58ps, lauranichole25 and Patchex. Sony Computer Entertainment LLC is not responsible for this promotion.
  7. Sponsors: Thanks to more generous sponsors contributing to the prizes, the details in magenta are subject to change before the event.
  8. Sponsors: I, StephieRawks, will not be handling money donated by other sponsors. They can all donate securely online via komen.org or cancer.org, as specified by the winners.
  9. Contigency Plan: If the number of event participants and dolphies get too low or the event runs too late, the contest will resume Friday October 25th, also at 6pm PDT / 9pm EDT.
  10. Contigency Plan: In the event of extra unscheduled PSN maintenance that lasts beyond the event time frame, the contest will resume the following night, also at 6pm PDT / 9pm EDT.

Good luck, train hard, think pink and hope to see you there!

Thanks to ixarix and stevev363 for helping with the photoshoot!

10/25 Update: Huge thanks to D-Nitrate, MysticMur, (anonymous donor), beantot and SpyDudeFX for sponsoring 3 more $5 donations each, kl58ps and lauranichole25 for sponsoring 4 more $5 donations each and Patchex for sponsoring 5 donations of $1 each! The pot is now up to $135 in total donations on behalf of the winners!

10/24 Update: There are 5 more $5 donations to be awarded, so the event will continue on Friday October 25th, also at 6pm PDT / 9pm EDT! Here's a list of the winners so far:

RACE #

PLACE

PSN ID

DOLPHY

Race 1

3rd place

Zeelot

JANE DOE

Race 2

1st place

aitocsavon

AMBER

Race 2

2nd place

BooBoo92173

DietCoke!

Race 2

3rd place

LegoFire

Maka

Race 3

2nd place

LegoFire

Kazuma

Race 3

3rd place

Joanna_Dark_

Atalanta

Race 3

4th place

Cranberry__Juice

ScotlandUK

Race 4

1st place

kl58ps

Moon Magic

Race 4

2nd place

beantot

FishTaco

Race 4

3rd place

XBad_OneX

EspressO

Race 4

4th place

aitocsavon

HUNNY

Race 5

1st place

XBad_OneX

Wimper Baby

Race 5

2nd place

beantot

FiShStix

Race 5

3rd place

Kid_Fleetfoot

Butterfly

Race 5

4th place

Joanna_Dark_

Athena

Race 6

1st place

aitocsavon

BABY BLUE

Race 6

3rd place

StephieRawks

Awareness

Race 6

4th place

tbaby2008

Squeaky

Race 7

2nd place

StephieRawks

RawkStar

Race 7

3rd place

tbaby2008

Squirt

Race 8

3rd place

Pie_Destroyer_13

Yukie

10/25 Update: There are 5 more $5 donations to be won, and also 5 $1 donations as well! Let's do...$5 for 1st and 2nd place and $1 for 3rd and 4th place. It's hard to predict how evenly the number of pink winners will work out though, so if the number of awards are uneven in the last race or two, the highest place winner will recieve the highest prize amount available, until they're all gone!

10/25 Update: List of day 2 winners:

RACE #

PLACE

PSN ID

DOLPHY

Race 1

1st place

wicked_juggalo21

/\/\EgA/\/

Race 3

2nd place

XBad_OneX

EspressO

Race 3

3rd place

aitocsavon

BABY BLUE

Race 4

1st place

Kid_Fleetfoot

Butterfly

Race 4

3rd place

aitocsavon

HUNNY

Race 5

2nd place

Stoper1

Tricky

Race 5

4th place

MysticMur

Awareness

Race 8

2nd place

ThrenodyT

RawkStar

Trivia

1st place

Joanna_Dark_

Nancy Brinker

Trivia

1st place

Do-Workk-Sonn

mammograms

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 135 (7,374 Views)
PlayStation MVP
29040 posts

Re: [EVENT] 10/14: "Swim for the Cure" (BCAM)

Oct 7, 2013

Looks awesome hun and a wonderful cause. You're special. :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 135 (7,343 Views)
Welcoming Committee
8912 posts

Oct 7, 2013
Great idea Stephie. I hope your event goes 'swimmingly' ^_^
Support Forums
Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 135 (7,336 Views)
First Son
5 posts

[ Edited ]
Oct 7, 2013

Whatever your cause, your charity, or your drive, your effort: audit it.

Because so much of it is symbolism over substance, where people think they're helping by doing nothing. Audit all the time and effort, and see if you're actually effecting change. Rather than just,

"Oh, we're gonna have a 10K Fun Run for the Cure!"

"Come on down on Sunday; it's a 10K Fun Run for the Cure!"

Why? Why! When has running ever cured anything?

I don't understand the cause and effect on this. Is that how Jonas Salk cured [sic] polio, by speed walking around the track down at St. Mary's High School with a wife-beater on and a paper number safety-pinned to his back?

"Oh, we're doing it for the cure!"

How are you curing anything?

"Well, what I do is, I get sponsors, and every time I go around the track another time, my sponsor gives me another quarter for the cure!"

Are your friends that sick and sadomasochistic that they wouldn't just cut you a check outright for the cure? They make you do weird [crap] first?

"Larry, you know my daughter was born with cerebral palsy, and we're trying to get a big fundraiser going..."

"Really? Yeah...how many hard boiled eggs will ya eat? Come on! You love your kid right, come on!"

No, they would cut you a check outright, but you're that much of a megalomaniac that you have to make the cure about you. You need the spotlight in this. You could just get a check, but no one's gonna be,

"Ya know, the truth is I do the same speed walk at St. Mary's every morning at 6:30 before work with my labrador Sheeba. I'm trying to shed a few pounds, ya know? But no one claps for me then and calls me heroic, so I'm gonna do it on Sunday afternoon for the cure, and everyone's gonna go, 'Go Ray go!'"

It's a 10K fun run about you, you megalomaniac. Stop it. You know you're not doing [crap]. You could just get the check from your friend and then actually do something that means something other than running.

Put that time and effort and money into something that's calculated that actually helps.

"We're gonna knit a SARS quilt! It's gonna take all summer long!"
"We're gonna have a prayer circle."

"We're gonna have a candle light vigil at midnight!"

Could you do less??

Mathematically, ask your accountant if there's any way you could do any less than that...

"Well, we are raising awareness!"

Raising awareness is another form of doing nothing.

Only now, you're making me aware that the nothing that I've been doing is not up to par with the nothing that you're doing for such a noble cause. Why don't you do my nothing for your cause? We'll watch Storage Wars for the cure! Then we'll both be happy in our impotence...and we'll find out what's in that safe!

We all win!

Raising awareness is me standing next to a drainage ditch where a guy just hit a goat with his moped on the highway, and now they're in the ditch, laying in the muck with compound fractures, and the dude's got a bone sticking through his leg, and the [freaking] goat's got a bone sticking through his fur. They're both laying there in agony, and I'm raising awareness by standing above them shouting down an empty highway,

"LOOOOOOOK! LOOOOOOOO-OOOOOOOOK! EWWWWWWWWWWWWW! EW, LOOOOOK!"

And they're going, "No, HEEEEEEEEELP!"

"No, no, no! LOOOOOOOOOOOOOK!"

It's way easier to just say, "LOOOOOOOOOK!"

Are you aware of breast cancer?

The entire month of October is breast cancer awareness month. The entire country turns pink, so you can't not be aware. All your products...you go to the grocery store,

"Usually I buy the Progresso soup, but this month I'm gonna get the one with the pink ribbon so I know that I've done all that I can to help my fellow man. I don't read the fine print that says:

.000001 cents of every can, up to a very minimal amount goes to...oh, it actually goes nowhere near a [teat] ever at all! It goes to more promotional material asking for more money, and to give very dubious medical advice where a lot of [ta-tas] get chopped off that didn't need to, because we're an industry, not a charity anymore.

"I don't read that part; I just see the pink ribbon and know that I'm helping!"

~ Doug Stanhope, Beer Hall Putsch

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 135 (7,304 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
4157 posts

Oct 7, 2013
Hello, new user. Wow, I'm flattered you've decided to make your very first post here. Welcome to the forums and feel free to skip the weird crap with megalomaniacs in favor of watching Storage Wars on the 24th. I understand that charity, socializing and friendly competition aren't for everyone. Hope you find out what's in that safe!

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 135 (7,270 Views)
Treasure Hunter
4110 posts

[ Edited ]
Oct 7, 2013

Great idea for an event, and if I am available I will definitely participate.  Although it's been so long since I've visited my dolphies they likely would be so angry that they would abandon the race and chase me instead so perhaps I'll leave them be. :smileywink:

Also, to extend the contributions, I'll offer to do the same and sponsor the second race of the event, contributing $5 for each of the top three pink dolphies in the 2nd race.  If I can't make it, Stephie, please message me the names of the dolphie owners and dolphie names (as the dolphies should also get credit for the donations) :smileyhappy:

Maybe if others sponsor additional races or match contributions, we might be able to raise a decent amount of money for a worthy cause.

As for Funkyfunky's post, I'd wager that's not their 'first post', but rather they are cowardly hiding behind a fake account.

BTW:  The title of the thread says "10/14" but the event promo says October 24th?

Sony's PlayStation Home updated mission statement...

"Like it never happened"

- Stand for something better than mediocrity and don't disguise it as adequate, when clearly it is far from that to anyone willing to be objective and unbiased. -

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 135 (7,254 Views)
First Son
5 posts

Oct 7, 2013

D-Nitrate wrote:

If I can't make it, Stephie, please message me the names of the dolphie owners and dolphie names (as the dolphies should also get credit for the donations) :smileyhappy:

Maybe if others sponsor additional races or match contributions, we might be able to raise a decent amount of money for a worthy cause.

As for Funkyfunky

funkyfuntowns

Shouldn't the donations be in memory of those afflicted with breast cancer rather than video game dolphins?

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 135 (7,240 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
29040 posts

Oct 7, 2013

smokingpistol wrote:
Great idea Stephie. I hope your event goes 'swimmingly' ^_^

It's a wonderful idea and awareness is an important part of any solution. The event should be a lot of fun as well. 

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 135 (7,223 Views)
Splicer
55 posts

Oct 7, 2013

This is fab!

Do I need a dolphie to participate?

I've never seen this space! Do dolphies come with those awesome avatar suits?

You rawk, Stephie!

Jem!

Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 135 (7,220 Views)
Treasure Hunter
4110 posts

Re: [EVENT] 10/14: "Swim for the Cure" (ABACA)

[ Edited ]
Oct 7, 2013

Foundations wrote:

foundations

I have as much interest in saying your 'name' correctly as you do in revealing who you really are.

Foundations wrote:

Shouldn't the donations be in memory of those afflicted with breast cancer rather than video game dolphins?

Does it even matter?  What matters is making an effort, regardless of how small, and if doing so also brings people together to enjoy each others company, and that may also lead to more awareness of the cause and more 'help' in any number of different ways, including money, how is that a bad thing?

Yes, many charities are shams, and many charitable events are just excuses for people to party without feeling guilty for having a good time while others are clearly suffering, but to suggest that because of the dubious nature of some of these organizations and events, that all of them are worthless or deserve to be lumped in with the rest - or that a donation is only worth while if it's made in the memory of those afflicted is shall I say extremely narrow-minded, and lacks the understanding of what is truly important.

Why someone gives their support or how they chose to give their support is of little consequence to those that have been or will be afflicted.

If kissing up to a bunch of millionaires and billionaires and throwing them a party and letting them donate the money with any name they feel like results in more support for the cause, then by all means, they should do that.  When it comes to charity, it is rarely a good idea to get sanctimonious and elitist when it comes to getting support... doing so will usualy result in less support for a cause.

Sony's PlayStation Home updated mission statement...

"Like it never happened"

- Stand for something better than mediocrity and don't disguise it as adequate, when clearly it is far from that to anyone willing to be objective and unbiased. -

Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 135 (7,215 Views)