Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Apr 06 2013
By: Jewel_fox Monster Hunter 24 posts

Does anyone else really dislike the Aurora update?

65 replies 651 views Edited Apr 6, 2013

I'm level 47 right now, I have the Aurora teleporter in my personal space, I visit there and use the Trap-o-Matic and play Orbrunner every day I go to Home. It's always been one of my favourite spaces.

I'm not sure it is anymore.

The Good:

1. I get the EXP notice even when I teleport in from my apartment now.
  2. Level cap raised, more stuff added. Good, I guess.

The Bad:

Orbrunner is now officially crap.

In old Orbrunner the energy orbs were shiny and distinct, easy to tell apart, and reinforced the sense of the fantastic world you were in. Seeing my avatar absorb them all and then having them pulled out of her and swirl around in the vortex was neat. And while the game took a moment to load sometimes, it at least let me know it was loading, and was very quick to get into. Its transparent interface design reinforced the magical feel, partly by how it looked and partly by how I could see the world through it.

The new balloons are ridiculous. They are mini hot air balloons. They're hard to tell apart, and I'm not even sure what my avatar's supposed to be doing with them. I don't absorb them anymore, so I guess I must be like stringing them along behind me as I go or something?

Also, the Orbrunner interface.

First, it's ugly and completely unceremonious. There's no sense of being in Aurora anymore. You're just playing a minigame. That's all that the flat, opaque pop-ups convey to me, and their purely functional terms.

Second, it gets in my freaking way. No more "equipping silver goggles now, good luck!" that I can press X to dismiss, and that suggests to me that "if I had better goggles I'd do better at this game." Instead I have to click through all this crap about "Buy our awesome powerups to play the game that isn't even as fun anymore!" And that's on top of the fact that I don't seem to be scoring as many points now, either.

The redesign reeks of Executive Meddling, of middle management having its way at the expense of Ndreams' creatives. It feels like someone with no clue what Aurora even is walked into the cubicle, looked over an artist's shoulder, and was like "What are those things? They should be hot air balloons ... And why doesn't it ask people to buy stuff? We should ask people to buy stuff every chance that we get ... " And then the artists had to quickly throw something together at the last minute, and nobody really liked how it turned out.

I'm pretty stingy with PlayStation Home purchases, but I've strongly considered buying Aurora things before, because it was one of my favourite spaces and I thought the apartment (with the shooter minigame) might be fun and help me gain EXP. I'm glad I didn't, because I'm not sure it's worth it to visit anymore.

Does anyone else feel the same way? Not that I think you're wrong if you don't, I just personally really don't like how it turned out and it feels like a huge disconnect from how things used to be.

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 66 (651 Views)
Welcoming Committee
9261 posts

Re: Does anyone else really dislike the Aurora update?

Apr 6, 2013
Nope I for one agree wholeheartedly. Seriously you nailed my thoughts on all of it down to the floating animation as it sucks the orbs out of you. I miss that animation my self.
I wont say much because you summed up my thoughts pretty much so I will say thank you for informing me about the bonus xp now working through the teleport. I didnt realize that and I suppose that is a small win but something Ive wanted for years.
Support Forums
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 66 (645 Views)
Monster Hunter
33 posts

Apr 6, 2013
Aurora was useless in the first place. #RidOfAurora
Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 66 (639 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1649 posts

Apr 6, 2013

Everything you said was spot on.

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 66 (628 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
314 posts

Apr 6, 2013

I agree completely with you jewel. I'd love to get a refund for my neon goggles. I hate this game now.

Da_Almight_Ren wrote:
Aurora was useless in the first place. #RidOfAurora

#You #are #ridiculous #with #your #annoying #and #unnecessary #use #of #hashtags.

Latest : inFAMOUS First Light
Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 66 (617 Views)
PlayStation MVP
2773 posts

Apr 6, 2013
:^/ Jewel_Fox, I wouldn't pan Orb Runner's makeover as harshly as you did, but I agree that the original had the mystique of working to support the Aurora community. The orbs were a natural resource that kept our balloon afloat.

The current one feels less like that and more like just a game.

It's still fun, but I agree that cosmetically it should resemble the original more.
Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 66 (575 Views)
Treasure Hunter
5375 posts

Apr 6, 2013

They should've renamed it Balloon Popper, that's what we're doing. Where are the Orbs? I guess they're trapped in the little crates hanging form the balloons.

I'd probably dislike it a lot more if I wasn't at LVL 107. My biggest gripe is changing the Orb, I mean balloon colors.

On the plus side, it put an end to the stupid leaderboard for quite a few.....:smileylol:

I guess getting your name up there isn't that important when you'd have to pay for it...:smileytongue: Kudos for that!!!

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 66 (559 Views)
PlayStation MVP
1507 posts

Apr 6, 2013

NOPE...love it..glad its back for those of us who have maxed out along time ago..:smileywink:

Old Gamers Don't Die... They Re Spawn...
Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 66 (549 Views)
Fender Bender
1497 posts

Apr 6, 2013

Jewel_fox wrote:

I'm level 47 right now, I have the Aurora teleporter in my personal space, I visit there and use the Trap-o-Matic and play Orbrunner every day I go to Home. It's always been one of my favourite spaces.

I'm not sure it is anymore.

The Good:

1. I get the EXP notice even when I teleport in from my apartment now.
  2. Level cap raised, more stuff added. Good, I guess.

The Bad:

Orbrunner is now officially crap.

In old Orbrunner the energy orbs were shiny and distinct, easy to tell apart, and reinforced the sense of the fantastic world you were in. Seeing my avatar absorb them all and then having them pulled out of her and swirl around in the vortex was neat. And while the game took a moment to load sometimes, it at least let me know it was loading, and was very quick to get into. Its transparent interface design reinforced the magical feel, partly by how it looked and partly by how I could see the world through it.

The new balloons are ridiculous. They are mini hot air balloons. They're hard to tell apart, and I'm not even sure what my avatar's supposed to be doing with them. I don't absorb them anymore, so I guess I must be like stringing them along behind me as I go or something?

Also, the Orbrunner interface.

First, it's ugly and completely unceremonious. There's no sense of being in Aurora anymore. You're just playing a minigame. That's all that the flat, opaque pop-ups convey to me, and their purely functional terms.

Second, it gets in my freaking way. No more "equipping silver goggles now, good luck!" that I can press X to dismiss, and that suggests to me that "if I had better goggles I'd do better at this game." Instead I have to click through all this crap about "Buy our awesome powerups to play the game that isn't even as fun anymore!" And that's on top of the fact that I don't seem to be scoring as many points now, either.

The redesign reeks of Executive Meddling, of middle management having its way at the expense of Ndreams' creatives. It feels like someone with no clue what Aurora even is walked into the cubicle, looked over an artist's shoulder, and was like "What are those things? They should be hot air balloons ... And why doesn't it ask people to buy stuff? We should ask people to buy stuff every chance that we get ... " And then the artists had to quickly throw something together at the last minute, and nobody really liked how it turned out.

I'm pretty stingy with PlayStation Home purchases, but I've strongly considered buying Aurora things before, because it was one of my favourite spaces and I thought the apartment (with the shooter minigame) might be fun and help me gain EXP. I'm glad I didn't, because I'm not sure it's worth it to visit anymore.

Does anyone else feel the same way? Not that I think you're wrong if you don't, I just personally really don't like how it turned out and it feels like a huge disconnect from how things used to be.

Excellent summation. You provided some of the main reasons that I will not spend anymore money there. Plus after buying the original upgrades, I will not buy any new ones or the consumable. If they had offered new one time buy upgrades, I would have considered the purchase. But as it stands, I will run till my level hits 120 and then see no reason to visit the space anymore.

On the plus side, their redesign has freed up considerable time for me to explore other aspects of Home. Playing more Cutthroats, exploring Pottermore, spending time with friends, and being creative with my personal spaces. Thanks nDreams. Home life is good. :smileyvery-happy:

Posted Image
Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 66 (533 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1729 posts

Apr 6, 2013
(#) is called the pound sign.
Or even approriate as a number indicator.
- Restless Dreams.
Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 66 (520 Views)