Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Welcoming Committee
2712 posts

Re: Disappointed With Diamond Beach Mansion

Jul 25, 2013
I am perfectly satisfied with the deal. If you factor in 5 giftable items, the included furniture items, and the Diamond bundle #1 which becomes free after mansion purchase, the price is fine. Spawn points and wall hangings could use some improvements, but are tolerable as is. I like that you can wade into the ocean. The many active features is cutting edge on the new spaces. I expect this space was meant to be the 1st to have them. Granzella s City of Flowers is the only other space with active features. Support Home; spend money, move on, be happy. It works for me.
Posted Image

Please use plain text.
Message 51 of 88 (1,211 Views)
PlayStation MVP
29179 posts

Jul 25, 2013

ITCOB1 wrote:
I am perfectly satisfied with the deal. If you factor in 5 giftable items, the included furniture items, and the Diamond bundle #1 which becomes free after mansion purchase, the price is fine. Spawn points and wall hangings could use some improvements, but are tolerable as is. I like that you can wade into the ocean. The many active features is cutting edge on the new spaces. I expect this space was meant to be the 1st to have them. Granzella s City of Flowers is the only other space with active features. Support Home; spend money, move on, be happy. It works for me.

I know swimming is available in other parts of the mansion but I would really like to be able to not only go into the water but have a swimming option as well. That was frankly a bit of a disappointment for me. 

Please use plain text.
Message 52 of 88 (1,198 Views)
PlayStation MVP
4421 posts

Jul 25, 2013
Joanna wrote:
I know swimming is available in other parts of the mansion but I would really like to be able to not only go into the water but have a swimming option as well. That was frankly a bit of a disappointment for me.

Remember when we had spaces with water we couldn't enter at all? The last major space we were unhappy with like that was from Lockwood about a year and a half ago and since then we get water access in most every place it's put. 😉
Please use plain text.
Message 53 of 88 (1,167 Views)
PlayStation MVP
4421 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 25, 2013

Left4Dinner wrote:

Question 4: My personal question. Why do I have to have one of the few large personal spaces, the gold suit, or be a PS+ member, in order to check out the open house Marina? I would like to see this place, even if Im not going to buy it.

4) Most of your questions have been answered already, but here's a video made by DarthGranny that shows quite a bit of the Diamond Beach Yacht Club and Marina. It's not a traditional "tour" video that shows all locations and features, but it does show much of it. The main features not shown here are the wakeboarding game and additional cabanas along the cliff. I know it's not the same as going in yourself, but there's also a public marina and beach area outside of the gate than anyone can access too.

Please use plain text.
Message 54 of 88 (1,122 Views)
PlayStation MVP
4421 posts

Jul 25, 2013

D-Nitrate wrote:

TDBWID wrote:

Kaiser499 wrote:

Anyone else disappointed with it? I can't put pictures in the guest bedroom nor can I put anything in the kitchen area, can't even move the big dining room table that comes with the space in there. What gives?

Why do you think they made a OPEN HOUSE?

Unfortunately many of the issues with the Diamond Mansion can not be discovered by the open house.

Like how they do not tell you that you only get 100 slots for ALL the mansion spaces combined!  Sony continues to refuse to update their numerous active items that still use the default 22 slots, thus even with just one older active item in each area, you would be left with just 3 slots to decorate each of the 4 huge areas - not even including the Yacht.

The open house is also misleading as it makes it look like it comes with lots of built-in furnishings, when in fact it is largely empty.

After spending the last week visiting all the different Diamond Mansion areas (except the Yacht), while there was much I really liked, unfortunately there was far more that I didn't like, and many things that were inexcusable.

For instance, on the first floor & beach section they don't allow you to swim in the ocean, there are almost no built-ins, and not a single beach chair on the beach, and the lion looks like it came straight from a children's cartoon show.

Inside, while the interactive features add a sense of realism to the space, like opening and closing doors... Only the person using them sees the action.  And why have pantry doors that open if they don't put anything in there to see... And you can't place items in them either?!?!  It just makes the place seem deserted.

Upstairs, they did not even include a spawn point on any of the 2nd story balcony area and even with the doors open, it is still blocked off from moving objects through to the balcony. The bed only has one position. While they made a huge closet - its completely empty.  How hard would it have been to simply have a graphic with various clothes to make the place look lived in?

And don't get me started on the bath tub!  Yes, its cool you can turn the faucet on, but not only is this yet another interactive feature that only the user sees, but the water that fills the tub looks absolutely filthy.

The infinity pool area also has lots of issues.  Again, no one but the user can see you dive into the pool or do a cannonball from the diving board, but they also disable the camera when swimming in the pool.  The built-in bed you can not even sit on, its just an ornament. And how could they forget to put in a hot tub?  At least here they let you swim in the ocean, but then someone forgot to include the fish like there are at the Yacht Club & Marina.

These are just some of the many issues with these mansion areas that make this space look rushed, incomplete, and not at all well thought out.

Glitch out the the other 3 areas if you want, D...but...complaining about having to use 22 item slots (times 3) to access each of those areas that are not available yet and will in all likelihood, not be free when they are released...is overdoing it. 

LOL way to complain about features that aren't available yet and that you haven't paid for. Currently, all that is being sold is the 1st floor, with 100 item slots for the first floor itself. If you choose to use those slots to access other areas that are possibly incomplete for all we know, you can't really blame anyone else for what you find there. I'm all for constructive criticism, but...really?

If you or anyone else is skeptical or unhappy with it, I'd recommend waiting until the other spaces are finally released and we know *for sure* whether the other spaces will have their own item slots or not (and whether those other issues you mentioned are fixed or not) then make an informed decision. Personally, I like the look, features and price of Lockwood Dream Island better, but we all get to decide for ourselves what we think is or isn't worth it.

Please use plain text.
Message 55 of 88 (1,100 Views)
Treasure Hunter
4950 posts

Jul 26, 2013

beverly-hillbillies-425lf021110.jpg

jed.jpg

I stayed clear of that one. I got a mansion from the last go around. How many do I need. The taxes were killing me..lol...Here is my uncle Jed taking care of my other one I got ..

sony playstation gif photo: Playstation. tumblr_m1ilz5Zv2H1qk2rgdo1_500_large.gif
Please use plain text.
Message 56 of 88 (1,037 Views)
Treasure Hunter
4245 posts

Jul 26, 2013

GameMechanics wrote:

I happen to know the answers to some of your questions because I worked on Mansion 1. I have no connection to Mansion 2.

I wish you had worked on this new mansion as I suspect most of the issues with this space would likely not exist.  For one, the original mansion had many many many times more built-in furnishings that gave it a much more lived in look without the cost of precious slots. And by making each area it's own space, not only did we get all those built-ins, but we got a total of 400 slots to decorate with, and the total area of the original mansion is much smaller that the Diamond Mansion.

So basically we get more space with fewer built-ins and fewer slots.  What were they thinking?

GameMechanics wrote:

Q1) A policy is set up on what information is made to the public. It is based on business decisions. Feel free to give them feedback on what you think about their decisions. I know they have changed decisions based on feedback.

I suspect the problem is that far far far to often and certainly the norm is that feedback has been given and not only does it never get any response from anyone at Sony, but the issue does not get fixed or decisions changed.  Yes, I'm sure there must be some examples where they have, but those examples are more rare than flawless diamond.

Too often we are told to be patient, or the old "coming soon" line, only for nothing to change, weeks, months, even years down the road.

GameMechanics wrote:

Q2) The 100 item slot limit is based on memory. It used to be 50 slots for regular furniture and 2 active item slots. Then the makers of Home created a memory system allowing developers to allocate slots based on the item's usage of memory and the CPU. This allowed them to make the slots generic as in usable for either static furniture or active items. Ever since, Game Mechanics has focused on giving you more stuff for less slots. Since you cannot add memory and processing power, this is the best hope left.

Which is why the original mansion design made perfectly good sense, as it worked around the slot limit by making each area it's own space, and linking them so that you could move from one area to the next without using the nav menu. 

There have been a few possible solutions to the 100 slot limit, but not only has Sony not done anything about it, but they wont even comment about it from those offering these possible solutions.

GameMechanics wrote:

Q3) When they changed the memory model, there were a lot of items that had already been created. Unless the maker went back and rebuilt the old item, the were assigned a default slot use of 22. Some developers have updated their items. Most have not.

Sony by far released the most active items with the default 22 slots, and so if they truly cared about their customers and took their customer's concerns about the 100 slot limit seriously, they would update their older active items, especially the more popular ones so that they ONLY used the amount of slots necessary.  Which based on what we have seen other devs do, like yourself, most would likely only need less than 5 slots each.  Many as little as 1.

Yet, they so far have refused to update any of their active items, which again just goes to show how little they care about this issue and their customers, and their own products.

GameMechanics wrote:

Q4) There are videos. It is a business decision. See Q1 answer.

It is also a sad state when so often they release items with no official trailers or even pics and often they are very misleading in their official promotional announcements.  Like how they say:

"Don’t worry, the fun isn't limited to the interior of the Diamond Beach Mansion; make sure you get out and explore the island. Go for a swim on your private beach or even catch big air on your wakeboard."

The problem with this statement is that you can NOT swim on your private beach at the 1st floor of the mansion.  Unlike the shared Marina space where you CAN swim in the ocean, at the beach by your mansion they only let you get about knee high into the water.

GameMechanics wrote:

Q5) Lockwood's Venue for sure. I believe Granzella's Paris apartment you can also. This is a great feature. I am sure you will see it available more.

Sadly, that is also what Sony said back in 2008...

Huge kudos for taking your time to answer questions and participate in this thread.  Sadly, it just shows how bad things have gotten as far as Sony communicating with their customers when a 3rd party dev who wasn't even involved with the development of this space is offering more information than Sony.

In fact, you alone have addressed more concerns about Home in just the last few weeks than Sony and all of the Sony reps have done in the last two years, and likely longer than that.

Sony's PlayStation Home updated mission statement...

"Like it never happened"

- Stand for something better than mediocrity and don't disguise it as adequate, when clearly it is far from that to anyone willing to be objective and unbiased. -

Please use plain text.
Message 57 of 88 (1,022 Views)
Treasure Hunter
4245 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 26, 2013

ITCOB1 wrote:
I like that you can wade into the ocean. 

Really?  So even though in the promotional announcement for the 1st floor of the mansion it says "go for a swim on your private beach", you are perfectly happy to not be able to swim on your private beach, and just standing knee high or waist high in the water is good enough?

20130726 012923.jpg

20130726 013004.jpg

When mediocrity is acceptable, that's what you get.

ITCOB1 wrote:

The many active features is cutting edge on the new spaces. I expect this space was meant to be the 1st to have them. Granzella s City of Flowers is the only other space with active features.

Say what?!?!

I'm sorry but the Rapture apartment was released over three years ago and has more advanced interactive features.  And unlike the Mansion,  When you interact with something at the Rapture space, EVERYONE in the space can hear and see the interaction, like doors opening and closing, music playing, lights coming on, etc.  At the mansion, only the person opening and closing doors, or turning on fans, pool deck mister, faucet, etc sees and hears the activity.

There is nothing at the Mansion that is "cutting edge".

"Like it never happened"

- Stand for something better than mediocrity and don't disguise it as adequate, when clearly it is far from that to anyone willing to be objective and unbiased. -

Please use plain text.
Message 58 of 88 (1,012 Views)
Treasure Hunter
4245 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 26, 2013

StephieRawks wrote:

Glitch out the the other 3 areas if you want, D...but...complaining about having to use 22 item slots (times 3) to access each of those areas that are not available yet and will in all likelihood, not be free when they are released...is overdoing it. 

I didn't, and you don't need three 22 slot itemsto "glitch" this space to reach the other areas.  The fact is that Sony has yet to update a single one of their dozens of active items that would go great with a space like this that each uses the default 22 slots.

So it is quite reasonable to be upset that if you used just four of them you would be left with just 12 slots to decorate the entire areas (oh and yes, unless they change it BEFORE it get's "officially" released, as it stands right not you only get 100 slots for the 1st floor (and entire surroundings), the entire 2nd floor, the entire pool area, and even the secret Diamond Cave pool area.   The yacht apparently has it's own 100 slot limit.

StephieRawks wrote:

LOL way to complain about features that aren't available yet and that you haven't paid for. Currently, all that is being sold is the 1st floor, with 100 item slots for the first floor itself. If you choose to use those slots to access other areas that are possibly incomplete for all we know, you can't really blame anyone else for what you find there. I'm all for constructive criticism, but...really?

I don't see the humor in that at all.  So are you suggesting that no one can complain unless they own it?!?!?!  Don't you think it is a MUCH better idea to offer feedback BEFORE it gets released - as Sony doesn't exactly have a great track record of changing or updating any of their spaces once they get released.

Have things gotten so bad with Sony and Home that some are now happy with anything they can get?

"Like it never happened"

Please use plain text.
Message 59 of 88 (1,010 Views)
Fender Bender
2488 posts

Jul 26, 2013

Five minutes in the open house was all I needed to convince me that I had no interest in this space.  Aside from a few functional tweaks, the interior is bland and unoriginal.  The exterior scenery lacks detail or anything else really innovative.  This place cannot hold a candle to what Granzella and Loot are selling.

Not that I would ever spend $15 on a personal space anyway.  I never bought into the Mansion and I have no qualms about passing on this clunker.  Consider what many spaces (too many to name really) offer for a fraction of the price.  Just putting the word Diamond in the name does not make it worth triple the price of most personal spaces.  Especially when the diamond is dull and full of flaws.

castle3
Please use plain text.
Message 60 of 88 (989 Views)