Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Nov 14 2012
By: StardustChampion Uncharted Territory 1157 posts

Dear Holiday Event Designers (Lockwood?)

[ Edited ]
12 replies 299 views Edited Nov 14, 2012

Please stop letting the interns from DeVry design these. Scavenger hunts are boring, and the minigames suck. The latest Thanksgiving event is historically inaccurate and insulting to Pagans.

"Witches" celebrate Mabon, their feast of thanksgiving, at the autumnal equinox (late September north of the equator).

There were no "witches" at Plymouth in 1621. There were no "witches" at Salem in 1692. The infamous witch trials were the result of a BAD harvest that previous fall. The first reported case of ergot poisoning did not occur until late winter (February).

How not to screw up the Winter Brouhaha:

• We want quests. Lots of quests. No more scavenger hunts for ingredients.
  • Instead of reskinning a core space, create a new one exclusively for the event. Leave it up from December 1st to January 31st.
  • Stop torturing us with crappy games. Just give us the rewards if all you can make is derivative garbage.
  • Make good rewards people would actually buy. Use last year's Holiday Hullabaloo as a reference.
  • Don't tease us with temporary rewards we can't earn or purchase.
  • Include an Easter egg which is difficult to discover, like a secret portal on December 21st.

Gamers are the worst f*cking people. ~ Phil Fish

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 13 (299 Views)
PlayStation MVP
29170 posts

Re: Dear Holiday Event Designers (Lockwood?)

Nov 14, 2012

And you know exactly how an intern is designing these?

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 13 (283 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
416 posts

Nov 14, 2012

I actually like how core spaces are dressed up for events.  It makes them feel more realistic.  You don't build a brand new park every year to hold a festival there.

It sounds like most of those suggestions will make the event cost a lot more money.  Should we set up a Kickstarter page to help fund the extra work?

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 13 (267 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
4165 posts

Nov 14, 2012
I have a sneaking suspicion these core spaces were built with the intent to be reskinned for events. Similar to central plaza. Its much more productive that way too. Yes, it would be nice to see fresh stuff, but it is what it is. Also, unfortunately, they have been done planning for Christmas like five months ago probably. Suggestions for it will do no good, let's just hope it can live up to expectations after the Hullabaloo success
Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 13 (259 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
32183 posts

Nov 14, 2012

1235433077055.jpg

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 13 (247 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1157 posts

Nov 14, 2012

Smoochy-Rhino wrote:

It sounds like most of those suggestions will make the event cost a lot more money.  Should we set up a Kickstarter page to help fund the extra work?

Sony felt the expense was justified last year.

Joanna_Dark_ wrote:

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/facetiousness

tip: DeVry Institute of Technology is U.S. based. Lockwood Publishing (which may or may not be responsible for these crappy events) is in Nottingham, England.

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 13 (237 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
29170 posts

[ Edited ]
Nov 14, 2012

StardustChampion wrote:

Joanna_Dark_ wrote:

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/facetiousness

tip: DeVry Institute of Technology is U.S. based. Lockwood Publishing (which may or may not be responsible for these crappy events) is in Nottingham, England.

I can't comment on the quailty of event quite yet. I haven't played it although I did like the look of the space when I was there this morning. I suspect we'll get quite a bit of input from the community as a whole as to how well received the event is I'll have an opinion myself at some point as well.

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 13 (220 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
1684 posts

Nov 14, 2012

StardustChampion wrote:

Please stop letting the interns from DeVry design these. Scavenger hunts are for mentally handicapped children, and the minigames suck. The latest Thanksgiving event is historically inaccurate and insulting to Pagans.

"Witches" celebrate Mabon, their feast of thanksgiving, at the autumnal equinox (late September north of the equator).

There were no "witches" at Plymouth in 1621. There were no "witches" at Salem in 1692. The infamous witch trials were the result of a BAD harvest that previous fall. The first reported case of ergot poisoning did not occur until late winter (February).

How not to screw up the Winter Brouhaha:

• We want quests. Lots of quests. No more scavenger hunts for ingredients.
  • Instead of reskinning a core space, create a new one exclusively for the event. Leave it up from December 1st to January 31st.
  • Stop torturing us with crappy games. Just give us the rewards if all you can make is derivative garbage.
  • Make good rewards people would actually buy. Use last year's Holiday Hullabaloo as a reference.
  • Don't tease us with temporary rewards we can't earn or purchase.
  • Include an Easter egg which is difficult to discover, like a secret portal on December 21st.

So now we have to worry about insulting "Pagans" while you don't mind insulting "mentally handicapped children".  Well on behalf of mentally challenged children and also mentally challlenged adult we would like to assure you that not only do we like scavenger hunt we all believe in santa claus and if witches and pagans dont like it tough luck.  Besides thanksgiving is about pilgrims and indians hanging out and stuffing their stomachs with as much food as they can get their hands on.  

I do agree about the temporary awards though that borders on cruelty.

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 13 (197 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1157 posts

Nov 14, 2012

It was a jab at adults who enjoy scavenger hunts, not the mentally handicapped. I've edited the post to avoid confusion.

Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 13 (178 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4834 posts

Nov 14, 2012

original[3].gif   :smileytongue:

Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 13 (177 Views)
0 Likes