Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Splicer
39 posts

Re: Clarification of Gender Identity (Yes, this is PSH-Related!)

Feb 28, 2013
Dr. Strangelove, anyone? Don't drink the water, women are trying to steal your essence...be sure to drink only pure grain alcohol... (Sorry, I couldn't help myself...LOL)

I really don't care what gender a person is, on Home or in Real Life (yeah, I like to spell out the words, so old fashioned of me)...it's who they are on the inside that counts.

I'm not on Home for Romance (though plenty of guys seem to think otherwise), I'm here to hang out and have fun. Make friends and apparently spend some money...WAY too much money.

I think this gender thing is being taken WAY too seriously. Home is Social Networking and Gaming combined. It's all for fun.

Period.

Foxxy
Please use plain text.
Message 121 of 129 (293 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1329 posts

Mar 1, 2013

Danger_Dad wrote:
:^/ Well, before the thread is locked due to the discussion being concluded, a few final thoughts:

Most of the time, folks belong to one of two camps. In the first, one's sex is determined by one's anatomy. One's DNA. If the doctor announces at your birth "congratulations, it's a boy," then you're male. Likewise, you were pronounced a girl, you're female. It's what those words mean.

The other camp says "but that's so arbitrary. Shouldn't we go by personality? By what an individual likes to do, and how one behaves?" This thought has merit. Under it, one can be described as "a woman, trapped in a man's body." A boy who likes to pick flowers and bake cookies could be thought of as a girl instead.

The first camp argues "no, he's not a girl, he's just a boy who likes flowers and baking."

Each side has its points.

However, CathedralDreams created this thread to argue that both camps are wrong, and that sex should be assigned neither by anatomy, nor by personality, but only by each individual's personal choice of pronoun for reference. He feels that society should categorize him as female, only because he wants to be called that.

:^/ The trouble with that philosophy is that it goes beyond the matter of sexual identity, it's a matter of the English language itself. His philosophy would take the words "male," "female," "masculine" and "feminine," etc. and both leave them with nothing to mean, and also leave no alternative words to represent those meanings. His opposition would be left no language with which to articulate their views. This is an ad hominem prohibitum argument.

A further trouble is that if we accept that dilution of the language for matters of sexual identity, it would be equally appropriate to accept that dilution for every descriptive term. So, one's age would be equally subjective. "Young at heart" wouldn't be just a phrase anymore. One would be free to further claim any sex, age, weight, height, skin/hair/eye color, profession, education, family, etc. One could claim to be the spitting image of Shirley Temple, when in fact he resembles Mr. Bojangles more closely.

:^/ People can already lie about anything, but what CathedralDreams wants is to change the rules so that it doesn't count as a lie anymore, but counts as the truth, instead, just because he honestly felt that way at the time he made the claim.

This statement was so correct that it caused me to experience painful ecstacy ..~_~

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

"Do you remember what today is , Jack?"
Please use plain text.
Message 122 of 129 (265 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3241 posts

Mar 1, 2013

Its not the pixels that are lying. Its the person behind it and lets face it...its a good chance that many probably don't dress that way in real life.

But like it or not...I could care less what title you prefer to be addressed as, if a person has made it as a friend of mine I'm going to need to feel comfortable knowing I'm not being lied too by that person. And if it means I have to take the extra step to ask point blank are you male or female I expect an honest answer.

Theres a 2 syllable word that is the deciding factor in the end and its called HONESTY

Please use plain text.
Message 123 of 129 (244 Views)
VP of Gaming
25813 posts

Mar 1, 2013

ILLUMIN-X wrote:

[The whole post.}

I have no idea if you have dealt with me, yet. But that has got to be your best post ever, in my opinion. I agree with what you said here.

Our honor/honesty is our most important asset. 

The way you play the game is the way you live your life.

Please use plain text.
Message 124 of 129 (237 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
140 posts

Mar 1, 2013

ILLUMIN-X wrote:

Theres a 2 syllable word that is the deciding factor in the end and its called HONESTY

hon·es·ty

Because I came into this thread late-game, I haven't bothered with determining the OP's intent with semantics. If Danger_Dad is right, then here's my take:  This isn't about whether someone is lying about their gender and/or identity, but about not using the same definitions as who they're asserting themselves to. Of course there will be confusion and upset if someone who used flatly identifies themselves "female" is still biologically male. This person feels they are essentially female/feminine, but that just doesn't match up with so much else (nmely anatomy). The best thing someone who actually values a relationship in Home is to elaborate. Even if it's just, "I consider myself a woman," that's still better than letting the other person's definition of "female" being "anatomically female human" set up a later drama bomb.

Please use plain text.
Message 125 of 129 (222 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
67 posts

Mar 1, 2013

THE only reason People get offended if you dress as a girl on home and your a guy.... its because they have a hidden motive on home and what to get with that person. In that case, they get mad that your not that gender because it distroyed that motive and they are discusted THERE IS NO RESPECT OF THE SIMPLE FACT THAT HUMANS ARE FANTASTIC WORKS OF ART AND DESIGNING THEM TO MAKE AN APPEAL IS POWERFUL but people dont realize that. WHY DO PEOPLE ON HOME INSIST ON DATING, WHY NOT JUST TALK SOCALIZE LIKE HOME WAS attended????????? IT does NOT matter if your male or female UNLESS YOU have a hidden motive that you should not have on PS HOME.

photo tumblr_m0syalO4LL1qjf7dso1_500_zps2e4a6697.gif
Please use plain text.
Message 126 of 129 (208 Views)
First Son
20 posts

Mar 1, 2013

ILLUMIN-X wrote:

Its not the pixels that are lying. Its the person behind it and lets face it...its a good chance that many probably don't dress that way in real life.

But like it or not...I could care less what title you prefer to be addressed as, if a person has made it as a friend of mine I'm going to need to feel comfortable knowing I'm not being lied too by that person. And if it means I have to take the extra step to ask point blank are you male or female I expect an honest answer.

No way! I thought it was normal to dress up as gorillas and demons. nss

You could care less(one person to avoid.) Because you could care less about your "friends" boundaries. How are you being lied to? I'm sure people don't run around screaming "I'm a girl/I'm a boy" & that a question is normally asked before that line comes up.

Then expect to see "USERNAME is offline" more often because that's one question you shouldn't be throwing around. I'm a GUY, but if someone asked me that on Home or in a PM, id laugh and reply, "Are you kidding me?"

Now for my 2 cents on the matter. I don't know 70% of my FL's gender throughout all of my accounts nor does it bother me. I go by how they've presented themselves to me, because that's quite obviously what they want to be in my eyes. I respect that. They are my friends over Playstation Network, not my colleages.. or my personal friends on Facebook. I guess everyone has their "rule(s)" & if doesn't fit well the others rule(s) then it will just cancel eachother out.

Godspeed.

-Does not accept random friend requests- :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
Message 127 of 129 (199 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
2764 posts

Mar 1, 2013
:^/ Sergeant, you need to read the whole thread more carefully. Especially the posts created by the thread's Original Poster. His ambition is to re-define assignment of sexes so that they follow no existing definition, and instead follow only an individual's whim. It's not that he wishes to pretend that he's female, he wants human culture to hold that he truly is female, solely because he says he is.

If folk were free to eschew established definitions of words that casually, language itself would be useless.

That, and just how sound can any relationship be if it begins with deception?
Please use plain text.
Message 128 of 129 (185 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation Moderator
5 posts

Mar 1, 2013

Since the conversation seems to have run its course, this conversation will now be locked.

Please use plain text.
Message 129 of 129 (169 Views)