Lombax Warrior
139 posts

Re: Clarification of Gender Identity (Yes, this is PSH-Related!)

Feb 22, 2013

Danger_Dad, you said:

"It's "number of people." If one can count them, we say "number." "Amount" is for uncountable stuff."  

Thank you for correcting me.

You said:
"IRL means "In Real Life," as you correctly used it, but "AFK" stands for "Away From Keyboard," which makes no sense here. I think you misunderstand that one."

I am taking a leaf out of the book of the founders of The Pirate Bay, as Peter stated in the latest documentary "TPB-AFK" to the prosecution in their trial, "We don't like that expression [IRL].  We say AFK - Away From Keyboard. We think the internet is for real."

I agree with this completely and have adopted it as a result.

You said:
"You're incorrect that we're all capable of the same things."

To understand my statement, you must keep it in context.  This is very important to understand my points, and typically anyone's points.  In my case here, I am stating that we are all capable of utilizing the power of self-reflection, self-motivation, and various processes of mental, emotional, and physical enlightement to become whatever it is we WANT to become.  Obviously this does not require everyone to be clones of one another to be true, and so hopefully you can see my point now.  

As far as the phrase "All men are created equal" is concerned, that phrase was also context-sensitive, and was intended to mean that all people deserve fair and equal treatment.  Of course there was an issue of gender-divide in that timeframe, however the founding fathers made it clear by the creation of the Constitution that they were willing to not only fully acknowledge, but prepare for the inevitable cultural changes (including the presence of new greedy **bleep**) that were sure to befall new generations of America.  Regardless of if their own personal issues, they set aside those issues to make it clear that government was meant to be in the hands of the people, not the government themselves, because this would be an abuse of power.  Not to get too off-track here, but the 2nd Amendment conversations that have been happening in the media recently are hogwash when you realize that it was created specifically for insurance that the people would always understand they had the right to take violent measures if necessary to defend their rights in the event that those in positions of power in the government sought to abuse their own powers via force.  

You said,
"Also, how many men have carried an embryo to term and given birth? And I don't mean a laboratory experiment, either."

There have been several self-identified female-bodied males that have given birth to children.  That has very little to do with their gender identity, which again goes back to my original point.  Hopefully using this as an example will make more sense to you - Physical anatomy and Gender Identity are not one-in-the-same, hence the clarification of Cisgender and Transgender.

You said,
"I think you meant that it is unnecessary to hear what others have to say without having an adult conversation, right?"

No, I will clarify by restating my comment more clearly:
Flaming me or my posts is not necessary for me to hear you and what you have to say.  We can have an adult conversation with calm voices and clear points, and I will respond to them adequately when I can, as I am doing now.

You said:
"However, it seems that what you're after is the freedom to create a female avatar, lie to people that your real life self is female, and for others not to be able to tell."

The only motive I have in this situation is to establish safety for those on PSH who would otherwise continue to be subjected as much as they have been to probing and unnecessary questions about their physical anatomy and gender identity.  

It also is interesting that you have assumed I am male simply because of my assertion.  It does stand to reason that I am physically female, and identify as Genderfluid (meaning I identify with both genders to some degree, and moreover don't care for identifying as any gender whatsoever.)  

It's very sad that on top of all of this issue, women who assert themselves are impossible to find...as though it is some extinct idea that used to be theory but no more....  I'm sorry that self-identified women don't have very many role-models these days, and so the older ideas that women must be passive and timid and helpless in order to be accepted or legitimate as women seems to be making a comeback.

Thank you for your feedback.

If you are part of the 99%, you are automatically a part of the Occupy movement.
Please use plain text.
Message 11 of 129 (421 Views)
Ghost of Sparta
7030 posts

[ Edited ]
Feb 22, 2013

Quite the soliloquy there. I think perhaps your message will be lost however as you the manner in which you chose to present it doesn't really consider your target audience. In other words, have you read many of the posts around here?

Something apart from the overall delivery of the OP bothers me a bit.

hopefully the issue of some people expecting everyone on PSH and in life in general to "tell people the truth about your gender" will phase out considerably from many people's major concerns

You seem to imply that it's ok to lie about one's gender. I for one do not care if a female (sorry I have not come to adopt the phrase cisgender myself) wishes to portray herself as a male avatar or vice versa. I do not care if a transgender person wishes to portray themself as a male or a female. I'd have a real problem with them being dishonest about their gender however. For me, honesty is expected and there's a difference between being male and wishing to use a female avatar and deliberately misrepresenting one's self.

Your message was lost on me once I read that phrase. It's one thing to play a part, quite another to intentionally mislead.

Please use plain text.
Message 12 of 129 (414 Views)
Lombax Warrior
139 posts

[ Edited ]
Feb 22, 2013

My issue, myalana, that I was intending to point out the very best that I could articulate (and I could have done a poor job at it) was to help more people understand that descriminating against those who are transgender or are using a male or female avatar in relation to they want to is somehow inherently not okay, and that is extremely hurtful and unnecessary.  I think it's important for a person to be honest about how they want to present themselves - and if that is a male avatar, or a female avatar, thats really where it begins and ends, unless the person wants to share more about themseles. 

I think a lot of the hatred that surrounds this issue has to do with the idea that how a person is intimate with another person is directly tied to how much they love the other person.  I feel that love is not solely dependant on intimacy - I think it really has to do with who a person actually is, which is not defined by their gender. 

Often times I see men getting personally threatened if another male even openly states "yes I'm physically male but i like having a female avatar".  I have seen men go absolutely insane about this, and become extremely threatening towards the individual.  One man even went so far as to tell me that he was "not allowing" me to support the female-identified person with their avatar choice.  I have no clue how people have this idea in their head that they have the right to tell someone else what they're "allowed" to say and not say, but I think it's absolutely out of control, and it needs to be addressed in some way shape and form to help people get back to reality. 

I also see a lot of people suggesting that "gender lock" would be a good idea on PSH, where the ability to play as one of the two gender choices provided should be disabled completely.  I have seen this idea being based on deeper-seated issues that have developed within our culture that hopelessly cling to the idea of the Gender Binary as the ultimate and only choice, and that if anyone strays outside the walls of these boundaries, they are to be shunned, descriminated against, torn apart, degraded, shamed, and just outright demeaned on every level possible. 

Cisgender is, by definition, legitimate and rational, and I posted about it with the hope of, as I stated, spreading awareness and education about what the amazing amounts of progress that the Trans community has made over the last 5 years or so, to help the communication breakdown be healed at least a little bit.

I hope this helps explain more in some way, myalana. 

Thank you for your feedback.

If you are part of the 99%, you are automatically a part of the Occupy movement.
Please use plain text.
Message 13 of 129 (397 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
155 posts

Feb 23, 2013
People tend to forget that Home is not a dating application. 60% of conversations I see start with "hey bby? How are you doing? R u male or female? Want to cam up?" It's pathetic. People can create & roam with their avatar of choice & can do as he or she pleases as long as its not against the TOS. They can tell you they are millionaires & you can question that all you want because this is PS Home & not real life. If you suspect anyone then simply do not be contacts with them & move on. No one is obligated to know anything about anyone. Some folks really take Home seriously.
This is my signature. This is a ninja QK
Please use plain text.
Message 14 of 129 (367 Views)
Fender Bender
2933 posts

[ Edited ]
Feb 23, 2013

The OP has put in way too much thought about this non issue. Has anyone here played RE5 or the Lara Croft series? Does it really make a difference what your avatar looks like? The only line I draw is when men or boys dress as women to deceive people. Trying to get psn cards or whatever. Other than that really?

AlphaZone4.com | Home Item Database
Map
Map

Schlachlen-Haus fünf ................................

Please use plain text.
Message 15 of 129 (350 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1310 posts

Feb 23, 2013

It all come down to X's and Y's

Y label X.

Loot alien = Chromosome

Please use plain text.
Message 16 of 129 (310 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1282 posts

Feb 23, 2013

strider367 wrote:

The OP has put in way too much thought about this non issue. Has anyone here played RE5 or the Lara Croft series? Does it really make a difference what your avatar looks like? The only line I draw is when men or boys dress as women to deceive people. Trying to get psn cards or whatever. Other than that really?

I just think they do it for attention, personally ..

But this thread is a little weird...

a lil creepy almost.. D:

Is a person's gender that big of a deal that they feel they should just lie about it?

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

"Do you remember what today is , Jack?"
Please use plain text.
Message 17 of 129 (308 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4392 posts

Feb 23, 2013
Why does it bother you so much?
Please use plain text.
Message 18 of 129 (298 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1282 posts

Feb 23, 2013

bookepride wrote:
Why does it bother you so much?

I didnt say it bothered me at all, lol.

I just stated the fact that someone could show such reluctance in revealing something so banal (and also trying to justify lying about it) is weird.

What about you?

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

"Do you remember what today is , Jack?"
Please use plain text.
Message 19 of 129 (293 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3241 posts

Feb 23, 2013

Bottom line is, there has been an effiminzation movement targeted towards youth for an entire generation.

Now deception online has taken a firm root in pop culture via social networking and in this instance PlayStation Home.

Right now in any major US city it has been documented that drinking water and even our bathing water has over 32 pharmaceutical prescription drugs. Many of which lower testosterone, (both male and female libidos), and have even been reported to contribute to sterility in both sexes.

Laboratory rat tests have proven that on a clinical level over the course of time with exposure to the pharmaceutical drugs that are commonly found in our water supplies that gender behaviors reverse significantly.

Babylon is Rising....dont drink the water...LOL

Please use plain text.
Message 20 of 129 (289 Views)
0 Likes