Feb 22 2013
By: CathedralDream Lombax Warrior 128 posts

Clarification of Gender Identity (Yes, this is PSH-Related!)

128 replies 1150 views Edited Feb 22, 2013

There seem to be an overwhelming amount of people both on PSH and on PSH Forums who are misguided or confused, or have a high misunderstanding, of some of the basics concerning gender and gender identity, specifically where it relates to the appearance of a person's gender via their avatar on PSH, and how that relates to their physical anatomy "IRL", or "AFK".  

I've had several conversations with various people in various rooms throughout PSH about gender, gender identity, and gender roles, but of course this is a very small amount of action to help educate others regarding how much this topic has already been redefined in the last 5 years across the US.  As a result, I would like to take the time to make this thread to hopefully create some of this basic education for those who are not aware of these incredibly powerful changes taking place, and hopefully the issue of some people expecting everyone on PSH and in life in general to "tell people the truth about your gender" will phase out considerably from many people's major concerns when getting to know others socially.

First of all, some of you may have heard the word cisgender before, but you may not know what it means.  Cisgender is a term used to describe people who, for the most part, identify as the gender they were assigned at birth.  For example, if a doctor said “it’s a boy!” when you were born, and you identify as a man, then you could be described as cisgender. In other words, ‘cisgender’ is used to describe people who are not transgender.

So why do we say ‘cisgender’ instead of ‘non-transgender’? Because, referring to cisgender people as ‘non trans’ implies that cisgender people are the default and that being trans is abnormal.  Many people have said ‘transgender people’ and ‘normal people’, but when we say ‘cisgender’ and ‘transgender’ neither is implied as more normal than the other.

Using the word ‘cisgender’ is also an educational tool.  To simply define people as ‘non-trans’ implies that only transgender people have a gender identity.  But that’s not true.  Like sexual orientation, race, class, and many other identities, all of us have a gender identity.

That being said, another thing that should be highlighted is the basic difference between anatomy, and gender identity.  There are a growing number of people who have accepted the reality of the human race that anatomy and gender identity are two very different things, and one does not necessarily define the other.  Often times, people generally misunderstand that a gender role, such as "girls wear dresses" or "only guys like to work construction jobs" or "watching Rachel Ray is for girls", actually has nothing to do with anatomy, and is thus an illusion based on preconceived notions of our culture and media programming.  

We all feel pain.  We all feel love.  We all get upset.  We all get happy.  We all are capable of the same things.  Often times, gender roles get in the way of this idea, and we stay stuck in older times when only "men" did certain things, and "women" did other certain things.  Regardless of these ideas, they are all ultimately illusionary, and have no bearable on rational logic really.  What is happening between someone's legs has nothing to do with who they are as a person, unless they themselves decide it does.  

I very much hope this has given everyone some things to think about, and that it helps to calm down the insane amount of drama surrounding those who use one of the only 2 options of gender identities on PSH that makes them feel more comfortable, only to be interrogated and shunned regarding how this relates to that person's physical anatomy "IRL" or "AFK".  

For more information, feel free to check out and not be threatened or intimidated by the following links:
http://www.basicrights.org/uncategorized/trans-101-cisgender/

http://www.iamsafezone.com/resources/TRANS_Resource_Article_Cisgender_Privilege_Checklist.pdf

http://everydayfeminism.com/2012/09/30-examples-of-cisgender-privilege/

NOTE:
If you are offended or still confused or both, that's fine - but please do not flame, it is not necessary for me to hear you and what you have to say while having an adult conversation at the same time. Thank you.

If you are part of the 99%, you are automatically a part of the Occupy movement.
Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 129 (1,150 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
280 posts

Re: Clarification of Gender Identity (Yes, this is PSH-Related!)

Feb 22, 2013
I'm tired of political correctness. Cisgender? I have never heard the word before, and I can guarantee I will never use it.
This has got to be the craziest new word I've ever heard. Ay least until "cisgender" is considered offensive and has to be sub-divided.
I'm not flaming or trying to pick a fight, but the madness has to end.
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 129 (1,109 Views)
First Son
1 posts

Feb 22, 2013

What utter nonsense. When will this stop? What is next? Trans-species?

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 129 (1,071 Views)
Lombax Warrior
128 posts

Feb 22, 2013

Political correctedness aside, there is nothing illogical about the use of the word cisgender as defined in the context and citation provided.  I would think this would be a welcome relief to many people who feel disconnected from the trans-community and would also like to show support in addition to respect - for themselves as cisgender, and those who identify as trans.

As far as trans-species go, 1) Humans identifying as transgender qualifies as that in and of itself, and 2) if you were specifically referring to a human identifying as a different animal species in whole or in part, in my understanding that would be refered to as Therian or Therianthropes, and you can learn more about that here:
http://www.wulfhowl.com/therianthrope-definition/

Thank for the feedback from the both of you!

If you are part of the 99%, you are automatically a part of the Occupy movement.
Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 129 (1,036 Views)
Splicer
59 posts

Feb 22, 2013
So what you're saying is it makes your bum hurt when dudes use female avatars? Lmao
Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 129 (1,027 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
1739 posts

Feb 22, 2013

Kowboy79 wrote:

What utter nonsense. When will this stop? What is next? Trans-species?

Why not? Might help some to open their minds!

There's one thing I love about home. One could be (almost) what they want. I really don't care about avatar genders and it help getting to know the person behind the avi. I met a lot of "different" people on home. Who cares what's called "normal"?

I do think thou that giving  more and more specific names to every difference is counter productive. I will let linguist argue about semantic and just take people for who they are.

co-founder
The Black Hat Squad/Black Hat Squadron/Novus Black Hats
Novus international elite force
Black Hats website
Black Hats on Facebook
Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 129 (1,022 Views)
I Only Post Everything
1071 posts

Feb 22, 2013

So if I'm a guy, act like a guy, look like a guy, like women, etc and on Home I'm occassionally a female then what am I?  A cisquincy? A part-time cisquincy?  A non-what-they-appear to be?  

This seems to be a non-usefull or ciswaiste-of-time conversation LOL!

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 129 (1,018 Views)
PlayStation MVP
2511 posts

Feb 22, 2013

CathedralDream CarriedOnDramatically:

There seem to be an overwhelming amount of people both on PSH and on PSH Forums who are misguided or confused, or have a high misunderstanding, of some of the basics concerning gender and gender identity, specifically where it relates to the appearance of a person's gender via their avatar on PSH, and how that relates to their physical anatomy "IRL", or "AFK".  

[Snip!]

We all feel pain.  We all feel love.  We all get upset.  We all get happy.  We all are capable of the same things.  Often times, gender roles get in the way of this idea, and we stay stuck in older times when only "men" did certain things, and "women" did other certain things.  Regardless of these ideas, they are all ultimately illusionary, and have no bearable on rational logic really.  What is happening between someone's legs has nothing to do with who they are as a person, unless they themselves decide it does.  

I very much hope this has given everyone some things to think about, and that it helps to calm down the insane amount of drama surrounding those who use one of the only 2 options of gender identities on PSH that makes them feel more comfortable, only to be interrogated and shunned regarding how this relates to that person's physical anatomy "IRL" or "AFK".  

[Snip!]

NOTE:
If you are offended or still confused or both, that's fine - but please do not flame, it is not necessary for me to hear you and what you have to say while having an adult conversation at the same time. Thank you.

:^/ A few thoughts...:

• It's "number of people." If one can count them, we say "number." "Amount" is for uncountable stuff.

• IRL means "In Real Life," as you correctly used it, but "AFK" stands for "Away From Keyboard," which makes no sense here. I think you misunderstand that one.

• You're incorrect that we're all capable of the same things.

We like to say that "All men are created equal," indeed our nation if founded on that notion. It's the notion of the nation. But, it isn't really true. Compare, for example, Michael Jordan and Stephen Hawking. They're not at all capable of competing in each other's venue of expertise. Which is better? Well, at what?

Also, how many men have carried an embryo to term and given birth? And I don't mean a laboratory experiment, either.

• I think you meant that it is unnecessary to hear what others have to say without having an adult conversation, right?

:^/ I agree that folks should be free to create whatever avatars they like. My wife often uses a male avatar that resembles a grown-up version of our son, for example, so that guys won't hit on her while she's in public. However, it seems that what you're after is the freedom to create a female avatar, lie to people that your real life self is female, and for others not to be able to tell. That's not on the community, that's on you. If your choice of words or thoughts reveal you real sex, then you're not really as female as you think you identify with.

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 129 (1,017 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
269 posts

Feb 22, 2013

Avatars have no gender, they are pixels.  Think of avatars just as dolls. 

In MMORPGs most men play female characters.  Females play male characters.  We play with what we like to see visually.  I prefer to stare at a female avatar then a male one.  Female avatars just look better than males and have more outfits.

Some people try to create avatars that resemble other games or celebrities.  I saw a Madea avatar at peakvox.  I laughed. 

The avatar I chose to play reflects nothing about who I am and shouldn't.  I play with avatars I like to look at and outfit them that way.

Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 129 (1,006 Views)
Sackboy
310 posts

[ Edited ]
Feb 22, 2013

Danger_Dad wrote:

CathedralDream CarriedOnDramatically:

[Snip!]

[Snip!]

NOTE:

:^/ A few thoughts...:

• It's "number of people." If one can count them, we say "number." "Amount" is for uncountable stuff.

• IRL means "In Real Life," as you correctly used it, but "AFK" stands for "Away From Keyboard," which makes no sense here. I think you misunderstand that one.

• You're incorrect that we're all capable of the same things.

We like to say that "All men are created equal," indeed our nation if founded on that notion. It's the notion of the nation. But, it isn't really true. Compare, for example, Michael Jordan and Stephen Hawking. They're not at all capable of competing in each other's venue of expertise. Which is better? Well, at what?

Also, how many men have carried an embryo to term and given birth? And I don't mean a laboratory experiment, either.

• I think you meant that it is unnecessary to hear what others have to say without having an adult conversation, right?

:^/ I agree that folks should be free to create whatever avatars they like. My wife often uses a male avatar that resembles a grown-up version of our son, for example, so that guys won't hit on her while she's in public. However, it seems that what you're after is the freedom to create a female avatar, lie to people that your real life self is female, and for others not to be able to tell. That's not on the community, that's on you. If your choice of words or thoughts reveal you real sex, then you're not really as female as you think you identify with.

if someone is truly transgender, and present themselves as a female on home, i wouldnt consider them to be lying about it just because their brain and body dont match up in the real world. maybe some of these people use home as a kind of stepping stone to build up courage before they move forward with whatever they need to do to make that change in real life. maybe some just find it therapeutic to be able to have this outlet so they can express themselves for who they really are. truthfully, dont really care at the end of the day, its their struggle to find comfort within themselves, not mine.

Latest : Assassin's Creed IV Black Flag
Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 129 (990 Views)