PlayStation MVP
3715 posts

Re: BEWARE - Fake "FAM" scams

[ Edited ]
Feb 7, 2013

Rapturesassassin wrote:

LightOfValkyrie wrote:
Better idea: Just ignore fams altogether.

boy no offence but ur on home must be pretty boring if u ignore fams altogher. I run a pretty tight fam with no drama and hang out with a few fams that have little or no drama and we all get along. NOT all fams are bad.

No offence to you, but my Home experience is just fine. I've been ignoring fams for as long as I can remember, and my experience isn't altered by it. I've plenty of friends in which to hang out.  I never said all fams were bad, but the ones I run into, I put on ignore almost instantly. Don't like it? Too bad. My opinion's not going to change, whether you like it or not, boy.

Implying my Home experience is boring because I ignore fams is just ludicrous.

Message 21 of 35 (307 Views)
Wastelander
548 posts

[ Edited ]
Feb 7, 2013

Rapturesassassin wrote:

LightOfValkyrie wrote:

boy no offence but ur on home must be pretty boring if u ignore fams altogher. I run a pretty tight fam with no drama and hang out with a few fams that have little or no drama and we all get along. NOT all fams are bad.

Well no offense to you, but judging by the way you spell..... I can totally see why it's soooooooo important for a wannabe like you to be in a fam on Home. No offense though. :smileywink:

Message 22 of 35 (296 Views)
Keyblade Wielder
7067 posts

Feb 7, 2013
If anyone calls their club a fam, mafia, gang, or anything other than just a club you can almost bet its just going to end up being a regretted decision. (NOT ALL OF THEM, but most)

I have met a few people who run clubs and call them fams and are just down right awesome people, a lot of them may have trouble with spelling stuff but if your so judgmental to critic someones spelling even though you understood what they said you might as well start a spelling bee fam yourself. Dont judge them all because you had a few bad experiences with some. Those mistakes were made by you not them.

And no im still not interested in joining any so please dont bother asking me if you see me in home. And with all due respect please cut it out with the TAGS~BECAUSE~THEY~MAKE~YOU~LOOK~RIDICULOUS.
Message 23 of 35 (278 Views)
Monster Hunter
34 posts

Feb 7, 2013

tss we r familee or sumpthin tss

Message 24 of 35 (260 Views)
MVP Support
7684 posts

[ Edited ]
Feb 15, 2013

I just politely say no or no thank you when approached by a fam member if I wanted to join. To the OP, you're right about some fams recruiting others to take money away from them and scamming others behind their back. Everyone has their right to their pop-up color and money as they see fit.

I just find that joining a fam takes away the fun, diversity, and users' individivalities that Home was meant to be in the first place: to socialize with diverse gamers.

Message 25 of 35 (230 Views)
Treasure Hunter
4473 posts

Feb 7, 2013
Interesting thread - mostly amusing.

Yeah, this has been happening for some time now. Nothing new here. Usually the people who give the PSN cards to their "higher leader" are mostly teens or kids.

YB

Message 26 of 35 (222 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
143 posts

Feb 7, 2013

Icinq wrote:

Rapturesassassin wrote:

LightOfValkyrie wrote:

Well no offense to you, but judging by the way you spell..... I can totally see why it's soooooooo important for a wannabe like you to be in a fam on Home. No offense though. :smileywink:

Saying "no offense" doesn't make insulting somebody on that personal of a level alright. If I called you a stupid wannabe and followed that up with "no offense," somehow I doubt you would be unoffended.

Message 27 of 35 (194 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
359 posts

Feb 7, 2013

The NA home team, has a bit of a track record for marketing to Fams. Several developers do as well, many of them are sony branches.

This core 1.75 adds the ability to display your club name on your avatar name tag.  Who do you suppose that was for? Clubs, or specificly Fams in mind.

Sometimes when companies market the way the NA home team has, racism, and other isms, exploitation of people, fleecing, are discussed as underlying motivations.  Directly purposely done or incidental ignorance and incompetence doesnt matter.

There Have been clubs with far worse than psn card dues going on.  

Some people feel they have to buy stuff on home, to fit in.  Perpetuating that has been part of the misguided NA home team marketing.

King and queen exclusive store outfits spring 2011, mansions, diamond toilets and furniture, X7, buy these things and show off, buy some status, buy friends is what NA team has been pushing for a while. Dont have certain things, you are excluded from X7 public space. Because they didnt sell as many of the expensive poorly done exclusive pixilated junk, as they wanted to, they made a public space specificly to market poorly.

Stereotypes aside, a club, clan, fam, or what ever the group is called, out recruiting random people to join it, is about as unexclusive and elite as you can get.

Some people have more money than sense, some live beyond their means on home.  The NA home team has been marketing to those people, for some time now.

Message 28 of 35 (163 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
780 posts

Feb 7, 2013

ipwnzj00 wrote:

Icinq wrote:

Rapturesassassin wrote:

LightOfValkyrie wrote:

Saying "no offense" doesn't make insulting somebody on that personal of a level alright. If I called you a stupid wannabe and followed that up with "no offense," somehow I doubt you would be unoffended.

I know, right? If you're going to be rude, be rude. None of that "no offence :smileywink:" garbage. And I must say, you just gotta love that emoticon at the end of their sentence. What a sassy little thing, sadly they just look like a moron for attempting to be insultive. 

Message 29 of 35 (160 Views)
Treasure Hunter
4834 posts

[ Edited ]
Feb 7, 2013

Gilgamesh680 wrote:

Use caution when you are approached by someone to join a 'Fam' (family).  Some of these Fams are scams meant to take your money.  Here's how they work:

A cute female avatar approaches you and asks if you want to join a Fam.  She might claim to be "new at this recruiting thing" and be perfectly charming.  There is always another 'Fam' member close by to answer any questions you have and reassure you that this is a good thing.  If you do join, you get invited to their gatherings, and there are people there that pay a lot of attention to you, to keep you engaged. 

The rules of the Fam are: you must pop their color, respect each other (so you become compliant to them), and then you must pay DUES.  The dues are paid by PSN card numbers you buy and then give them.  Now, they have your money.

This is a total scam.  They are only paying attention to you to get your money.  Never, never give strangers your money just because they pay attention to you in Home; there are plenty of real people there that want to socialize with you without fees.

Post here with your experiences in Fams, real or scams.

It's nice to see a young person mature. It gives me a tiny sliver of hope that Mankind will survive a little longer.   :smileywink: 

Message 30 of 35 (152 Views)
0 Likes