Sep 30 2012
By: FalconPunchKill Lombax Warrior 79 posts

Avatar Custom Animation "Portables"

13 replies 535 views Edited Sep 30, 2012

After trying out the new Locomotion items and seeing them put to use in the community, I would say the ability to create avatar custom animation "portables" with v1.70 is one of the best additions to Home in a long time. Although the prices are a little exorbitant, especially without any bundles, I love how we already have a diverse new selection of ways to move around with the first group of releases from nDreams. The fact that the animations work with any avatar available, including those that already have custom animations without equipped items, shows that some thought was put into the update, but I wonder how it will affect the production of such avatars. I'm guessing it will probably make developers less likely to create avatars with custom locomotion themselves, unless the avatars can be automatically linked to an inventory slot to increase speed capability, and might even make them less likely to create avatars with custom "standstill position" animations. We'll have to wait to see how development pans out on that front. One of my favorite new tricks is giving the skater costume a new skateboard and then switching back and forth between the two boards magically as I do the different ollie animations. As far as international love affairs, nDreams must not feel particularly affectionate for Japan considering they didn't release their Locomotion items to them yet. I assume they used shredded paper for the flying animation with "fire" so that the Japanese won't be able to make origami out of it. A trend I've noticed as time has progressed with Home is that users are gradually allowed more and more extreme personal display functionality. In the beginning, totally unrealistic costumes were usually made to look like actual costumes that our avatar person was wearing, such as the Street Fighter IV items, but eventually, most unrealistic costumes made our avatar look like it had actually transformed, and was no longer a regular person. Random items and full body "outfits", along with their custom animations, were allowed to take up more space and became more obnoxious in some cases. Personal companions became larger, and with everything else competing for visual attention, the old companions may eventually approach the point of being obsolete. Now we can combine a flashing rainbow suit with a rainbow aura and a floating sheet of ice to overload everyone's sense of vision even while we move. So I'm just wondering what lies ahead for Home in this display department. Maybe we'll all get to change the solid color of the screen every so often, until the epileptics have a temper tantrum and send us back to square one. Looking to the more near future, I hope we can eventually go a little faster than 150% speed with something like a jet pack, and then even faster with a superpowered jet pack, and so on until we can flash from one end of a map to the other as actual beams of light. What are your thoughts on the subject?

Lion Signature
Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 14 (535 Views)
PlayStation MVP
28995 posts

Re: Avatar Custom Animation "Portables"

Sep 30, 2012

I think a lot of neat things are coming. Hopefully the prices will be a bit more reasonable. I would imagine we are going to see emotes and dances and more. Can't wait to see. 

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 14 (528 Views)
Splicer
66 posts

Sep 30, 2012

LocoMotion is The Best thing that happen all these years Home been around Nice Job Psh and NDreams :smileywink:

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 14 (500 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
65 posts

Sep 30, 2012

Locomotion is yet another decent step forward for Home. Sure, they may be on the expensive side now, but as the market for these type of items grows, more variation in price will certainly come about.

Home Signature.jpg

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 14 (485 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
28995 posts

[ Edited ]
Sep 30, 2012

Wirp wrote:

Locomotion is yet another decent step forward for Home. Sure, they may be on the expensive side now, but as the market for these type of items grows, more variation in price will certainly come about.

I'd love to see new dances for .99 cents. Perhaps more if there are bundled with a number of them. Would still like to see some actual animations added to the core for our avatars and not simply having to pay for them. 

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 14 (479 Views)
Splicer
66 posts

Sep 30, 2012

agreed :smileywink:

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 14 (471 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
65 posts

Oct 1, 2012

I remember back when they added things like the Ska dance and various other emotes to the selection free of charge, I thought that maybe they'd start adding things on a regular basis. Well, it's been years and the only updates have required purchases.

Home Signature.jpg

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 14 (433 Views)
Lombax Warrior
79 posts

A Glimpse at the Future of Locomotion

Oct 3, 2012

Here are some of the movements for locomotion that I've envisioned as being a part of our Home experience...

PSH Motion Collage.jpg

Just some basic ideas. Feel free to add any that you'd like to see.

Lion Signature
Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 14 (362 Views)
Fender Bender
3241 posts

Re: A Glimpse at the Future of Locomotion

Oct 3, 2012

What ?...No Horseback riding ?

Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 14 (356 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
79 posts

Re: A Glimpse at the Future of Locomotion

Oct 3, 2012

Tried to keep it somewhat limited. They're basically what I want to see most. You can add moar if you want...

Lion Signature
Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 14 (349 Views)
0 Likes