Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Treasure Hunter
4245 posts

Re: Are We Happy With The Level of Communication From Our Home Staff and Moderation?

[ Edited ]
Dec 10, 2012

Except not having to do something doesn't mean they shouldn't.  That is a significant difference, and is frankly the whole point of this thread.   After all they have no legal obligation to communicate with us at all.  In fact, if you want to talk legalese, Sony isn't even obligated to inform you why a paid item got removed, or even offer you a refund... It's in the user agreement.  In fact, legally Sony could remove all the items from anyone's inventory and never offer any explanation or refund.  Does that make it right?  Of course not.

Just because they are not legally obligated doesn't mean that its a reasonable excuse for not keeping us informed, especially on issues that negatively impact our experience with Home.

Sony's PlayStation Home updated mission statement...

"Like it never happened"

- Stand for something better than mediocrity and don't disguise it as adequate, when clearly it is far from that to anyone willing to be objective and unbiased. -

Message 161 of 189 (249 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4378 posts

Re: Are We Happy With The Level of Communication From Our Home Staff and Moderation?

Dec 10, 2012

D-Nitrate wrote:

Except not having to do something doesn't mean they shouldn't.  That is a significant difference, and is frankly the whole point of this thread.   After all they have no legal obligation to communicate with us at all.  In fact, if you want to talk legalese, Sony isn't even obligated to inform you why a paid item got removed, or even offer you a refund... It's in the user agreement.  In fact, legally Sony could remove all the items from anyone's inventory and never offer any explanation or refund.  Does that make it right?  Of course not.

Just because they are not legally obligated doesn't mean that its a reasonable excuse for not keeping us informed, especially on issues that negatively impact our experience with Home.

I also said morally obligated.  They do not have even a moral responsibility to tell you the whole story for a free item.  It was free.  You got to use it for a time free of charge.  Sony then removed it, and told you it was gone for good.

Morally speaking, that is all they need to do.  Expecting them to do even more than that, for an item you never even paid for, is a little like looking a gift horse in the mouth.  Sorry.

Be One With The Game.

Message 162 of 189 (236 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4245 posts

Dec 10, 2012

Forget moral obligations, it's just basic customer service, and its drastically lacking in Home from Sony, and no matter how much anyone enjoys playing the devil's advocate and hiding behind subjective opinion, it in no way excuses Sony for their poor customer relations and sub standard communication with their customers on issues and limitations of the service.

In most cases they seem perfectly content allowing for endless and wide ranging speculation even when it often causes even more anger and frustration among their customers, especially among many of their strongest supporters.  Unfortunately Home suffers because of it.

"Like it never happened"

- Stand for something better than mediocrity and don't disguise it as adequate, when clearly it is far from that to anyone willing to be objective and unbiased. -

Message 163 of 189 (221 Views)
Treasure Hunter
4378 posts

Dec 10, 2012

D-Nitrate wrote:

Forget moral obligations, it's just basic customer service, and its drastically lacking in Home from Sony, and no matter how much anyone enjoys playing the devil's advocate and hiding behind subjective opinion, it in no way excuses Sony for their poor customer relations and sub standard communication with their customers on issues and limitations of the service.

In most cases they seem perfectly content allowing for endless and wide ranging speculation even when it often causes even more anger and frustration among their customers, especially among many of their strongest supporters.  Unfortunately Home suffers because of it.

Of that we can agree.  I have been arguing for more communication from SCEA through out this entire thread.  However, in regards to content items that were free, and had no charge attached to them, a detailed explanation as to exactly why the internal decision was made to discontinue said free item is not required for good customer service.

They communicated that the item was permanently discontinued and offered a very brief explanation as to why.  For a freebie, that is all customer service dictates they should do.  Now, your personal curiosity may not have been completely satisfied, but satisfying your curiosity is not a requisite of customer service.

You do not have the right to know every detail of why they discontinued something they were doing for free.  I'm sorry but you don't.  Ask any Customer support department for any company.  They will tell you the same thing.

Communication is one thing, what you are demanding is flat out spoiled entitlement.

Be One With The Game.

Message 164 of 189 (204 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4245 posts

[ Edited ]
Dec 11, 2012

I'm sorry Sarge, but you aer way off the mark now, and I think your devil's advocacy has gotten the worst of you.

For one, I never for a moment claimed I had the right to know everything, suggesting otherwise is simply false, and you clearly have no clue what spoiled entitlement is, as nothing could be further from the truth, and instead you have only succeed in insulting me rather than contribute anything to the dicussion with that comment.

Good customer service has NOTHING to do with the cost of a product, it has EVERYTHING to do with keeping their customers happy when It's possible and reasonable.

Also, just because something doesn't cost money doesn't mean it didn't cost something.  For example, the Aurora Championship apartment is "free" but can easily take hundreds of hours to aquire.  By your standard of customer service, they could remove it from some people's accounts without offering any reasonable explanation.  I'm sorry, but that's ridiculous.  Do they have the right to do that.... Of course they do!  But that doesn't make it right or make it a smart decision, and is most certainly not representative of what most people would consider even adequate customer service.

Heck, I'd be far more upset if they deleted many of the free items I have acquired than items that simply cost me maybe a dollar or so, as my time is WAY more valuable than the cost of a few paid items.  Heck, even at a minimum wage, a free reward that took hours to collect is going to be far more valuable than even the $5 golden toilet!

"Like it never happened"

Message 165 of 189 (182 Views)
Treasure Hunter
4378 posts

Dec 11, 2012

D-Nitrate wrote:

I'm sorry Sarge, but you aer way off the mark now, and I think your devil's advocacy has gotten the worst of you.

For one, I never for a moment claimed I had the right to know everything, suggesting otherwise is simply false, and you clearly have no clue what spoiled entitlement is, as nothing could be further from the truth, and instead you have only succeed in insulting me rather than contribute anything to the dicussion with that comment.

Good customer service has NOTHING to do with the cost of a product, it has EVERYTHING to do with keeping their customers happy when It's possible and reasonable.

Also, just because something doesn't cost money doesn't mean it didn't cost something.  For example, the Aurora Championship apartment is "free" but can easily take hundreds of hours to aquire.  By your standard of customer service, they could remove it from some people's accounts without offering any reasonable explanation.  I'm sorry, but that's ridiculous.  Do they have the right to do that.... Of course they do!  But that doesn't make it right or make it a smart decision, and is most certainly not representative of what most people would consider even adequate customer service.

Heck, I'd be far more upset if they deleted many of the free items I have acquired than items that simply cost me maybe a dollar or so, as my time is WAY more valuable than the cost of a few paid items.  Heck, even at a minimum wage, a free reward that took hours to collect is going to be far more valuable than even the $5 golden toilet!

I manage a Customer Support department for a SAAS level service software product.  And I have been critical of SCEA's customer support since Home started.  Ask around, but I can tell you from experience, what Sony did with the Chris Angle couch was more than adequate for the type of item it was.

It was free, and didn't require a large investment in time to acquire.  You merely had to show up to receive it.  It was the Chris Angle couch we were talking about.

They did offer a brief explanation as to why it would not be returning.  You stated that you felt they were not telling you the whole story, and were upset by this.  Thus suggesting that you felt you had the right to know even more detail then that.

You Do Not.  Sorry but you don't.  Sony fulfilled everything good customer service required for that product.

It may be different if the item required hours of work to achieve.  Every case is different, and should be judged on it's own merits.  The example being discussed, and the one I was addressing was the Chris Angle couch, which does not fall under the circumstances you listed.

As such it affects the requirements of good customer service for dealing with that particular item.

Expecting what you are expecting, for this particular item, most definitely falls under the umbrella of a sense of entitlement.  Sorry if the truth offends you.

Well for this item you are not entitled to any more Customer Service than what SCEA gave you.

They made the decision to discontinue the item, for what ever reason.  I'm sure it wasn't out of spite for you.

They effected the discontinuation in the most cost effective manner possible, which is probably why it is still on the server.  They are not going to pay someone for searching for and deleting the source files if they don't have to.

They told you it was gone and not coming back, and they gave a brief summary as to why.

You didn't pay for the item, and you didn't really do anything to receive it.  Effectively, you were not quantitatively inconvenienced by this action.

I'm sorry you are not happy with this situation, and that you liked the item, but such is life.

I liked the free air freshener I got in the mail for my car too.  I wasn't happy when it ran out.  I didn't call the company and ask for a detailed explanation as to why the air freshener only lasts so long, and then demand another one.

Be One With The Game.

Message 166 of 189 (158 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4245 posts

[ Edited ]
Dec 11, 2012

Your assements are still way off and clearly you assume too much, and have convinced your self that your subjective opinion is fact based when it is not.   Perhaps playing the devil's advocate isn't enough for you, and that your goal is to start a flame war so this thread will get closed.  It's too important for that, so if your looking for a fight go somewhere else.  

Once again... not having to do something doesn't mean they shouldn't.  That is a significant difference, and is frankly the whole point of this thread.   After all they have no legal obligation to communicate with us at all.  In fact, if you want to talk legalese, Sony isn't even obligated to inform you why a paid item got removed, or even offer you a refund... It's in the user agreement.  In fact, legally Sony could remove all the items from anyone's inventory and never offer any explanation or refund.  Does that make it right?  Of course not.

Putting aside any moral obligations, it's just basic customer service, and its drastically lacking in Home from Sony, and no matter how much anyone enjoys playing the devil's advocate and hiding behind subjective opinion, it in no way excuses Sony for their poor customer relations and sub standard communication with their customers on issues and limitations of the service.

Moving on...

"Like it never happened"

Message 167 of 189 (146 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4378 posts

Dec 11, 2012

D-Nitrate wrote:

Your assements are still way off and clearly you assume too much, and have convinced your self that your subjective opinion is fact based when it is not.   Perhaps playing the devil's advocate isn't enough for you, and that your goal is to start a flame war so this thread will get closed.  It's too important for that, so if your looking for a fight go somewhere else.  

Once again... not having to do something doesn't mean they shouldn't.  That is a significant difference, and is frankly the whole point of this thread.   After all they have no legal obligation to communicate with us at all.  In fact, if you want to talk legalese, Sony isn't even obligated to inform you why a paid item got removed, or even offer you a refund... It's in the user agreement.  In fact, legally Sony could remove all the items from anyone's inventory and never offer any explanation or refund.  Does that make it right?  Of course not.

Putting aside any moral obligations, it's just basic customer service, and its drastically lacking in Home from Sony, and no matter how much anyone enjoys playing the devil's advocate and hiding behind subjective opinion, it in no way excuses Sony for their poor customer relations and sub standard communication with their customers on issues and limitations of the service.

Moving on...

First off, have you read the rest of my posts in this thread?  Have you seen how critical I have been of SCEA's handling of Home Customer support?  Obviously you haven't otherwise you wouldn't have suggested that I am purposely trying to have this thread closed.  I suggest you take the time to educate yourself before making such statements in the future.

Secondly, re-quoting your previous post word for word is not necessary, as I already addressed how the Chris Angle couch, which is the item that was initially being discussed, does not meet the criteria of taking hours to achieve as you once again tried to suggest.

I am offering my viewpoint as someone who is in the industry, and delivers a service very similar in business structure to what Sony is doing. 

We all know not every customer is going to be happy, and from a Customer Service perspective, you can't please them all.  SCEA with the Chris Angle couch, again the item in particular that was initially being discussed, did everything they needed to do to provide good customer service for the majority of people.

You are obviously a customer that would not have been happy with anything they had done short of not removing the item in the first place.

With regards to the Chris Angle couch.  What would have satisfied you?  They informed people it was discontinued permanently.  They gave a brief explanation as to why.  What else did you want from them?

Or are you just unhappy that they discontinued it in the first place?  If that is the case.  Sorry, but you were warned.  They have said from the beginning that they can do that at any time.  You knew that going in to Home.  You know that now.  If you didn't like the policy, then why did you continue using Home in the first place?

SCEA made the decision to discontinue the item, because they had to.  Not because they were trying to anger customers.  That decision wasn't going to change.  The question comes how did they handle it going forward.

They informed as to the situation, and gave a brief explanation.  That is the definition of Customer Service.  What more would you have had them do?

Be One With The Game.

Message 168 of 189 (131 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4378 posts

Dec 12, 2012

As I thought D-Nitrate.

You are very quick to make me out to be the bad guy, just because I am actually able to offer an unbiased view of SCEA Customer Support, because I can give them credit for the times they have done something right, as well as criticize them when they have not.

You are extremely quick to feign righteous indignation towards a perceived situation.

However, when you are asked to qualify that indignation with specific references to an explicit real world example, instead of vague generalities, there is no response.

I'll remember that next time I see you pointing an accusatory finger.

Be One With The Game.

Message 169 of 189 (99 Views)
0 Likes
Limit Breaker
16552 posts

[ Edited ]
Dec 12, 2012
Nothing editing right today. Ugh.

HomeStationMagazine
Message 170 of 189 (81 Views)
0 Likes